LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 1:12 am

Post subject: Rogue violin bass
PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 6:52 am 

So Rogue has a violin Beatle bass copy that sells through the Musician's Friend catalog for only $199 (included gig bag!). I've heard that it's a remarkably good bass for such little money. Has anyone here had any experience with the Rogue? And for that matter, there's the Jay Turser copy that's omnipresent on ebay. Or there's the more authentic Hofner tribute-series that's only $349. Any opinions on which would be the way to go? I want to get my Paul McCartney on!

Post subject: Re: Rogue violin bass
PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 7:13 am 

I had a Rogue and it was good, but why not grab a Hofner Icon. They are super cheap and play great.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 8:03 am 

I own the Rogue. I bought it about 7 years ago. Just get it! You won't be disappointed if you're looking for that sound/vibe.

There's a good reason why Hofner eventually got into the lower end Violin bass market: companies like Rogue, Turser, Epiphone, etc. were producing cheap knockoffs that sounded every bit as good as the real thing for a fraction of the price and Hofner was missing a nice chunk of the market as a result. I can concur, the Rogue is every bit what you've heard, and after playing many Hofners as well I can comfortably state that the tone is 99% there (though arguably, IMO, better sounding than the real deal because the PUPs have better clarity and less mud though still get you that classic Hofner tubby thump) and it's one of the best deals you can find. Swap out the junky factory strings for some Labella Beatle bass flats and you'll be instantly transported back to '64, LOL. It's a well made bass, though there are some obvious corners cut aesthetically, as the control plate/switches are cheap and the pickguard is not as nice a pearloid as a Hofner, but in all honesty the control plate/switches on a Hofner are crap too. The finish is also a photo flame and not as nice as a Hofner. The Rogue also weighs a bit more, probably due to the tuners, though it's still a very light bass and mine balances fine. (again, IMO, I prefer the Rogue weight over Hofner because it feels a little more substantial. Hofners feel very fragile to me). If you really want the Hofner name on the headstock, then spend another $150 for the Icon, but I'm not convinced the Hofner would be a substantially better bass and I wouldn't be surprised if all of these cheap violin basses were made at the same factory. There's also the Hofner CT series for $799, which I got a chance to play and I was impressed. Closer to the real deal with the "advantage" of a solid wood center to reduce feedback. But again, aesthetically a better bass than the Rogue/Icon, but not $600 better tonally, IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2008, 1:47 pm 

I got a Korean-made Rogue. Best $200 I ever spent. And I spent another $50 in TI strings.

I don't use it live, and it's not the most solid bass (and Hofners are even more fragile) but it's very inspirational to play and records very well.

And it doubles up as beautiful decoration in my little studio.

Don't have any experience with any other than real German Hofner (okay, but not worth the money, to me) and Turser. I think the Tursers are pretty nice too.

PostPosted: September 13th, 2008, 7:46 am 

It's my understanding all the violin Rogues are now made in China. Were the Korean better? Can one still find a Korean lefty?