LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:50 am

Post subject: 4,5, or 6 strings?
PostPosted: June 30th, 2008, 6:05 am 

Even though i'm not a beginner..i didn't have the opportunity to play with a 5 or 6 string bass.Somehow i had the idea that i had to exceed the limitations of a 4 string bass in order to buy a 5 or 6 string.

Here's the question.There should be somebody among us who plays a 5 or 6 string bass.What I'd like to know is this:1.Is it easier to play?2.Is it more convienient?(more strings mean more scales i guess!)3.Do u prefer it to a 4 string?

Keep in mind that i play mostly with a pick..i dont know if that matters...

Post subject: Re: 4,5, or 6 strings?
PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 3:48 am 

Ummm...noone huh?

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 5:16 am 

I tried a 5 after 35 years of playing a 4. It was a Carvin AC5 (semi hollow).
I could just not get comfortable playing it. Many people gave me good advice, mostly "just keep at it, it will become easier". But part of my problem was the shape of the bass body itself, there was no "beveling" at the top where I rested my arm (I don't use a pick) and it was really uncomfortable and distracting , to me anyway!
So, I did find it hard to get used to the 5 strings but still wonder 1) if I gave it enough of a chance 2) if a regular body shape would be easier to get used to as well....
I'd say try it!! If you don't like it you can always resell it here!!!!!! ;)

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 6:45 am 

I also tried playing a 5 string a few years ago out of curiosity and was surprised to find how difficult it was. Granted, I didn't give it more than a few minutes of my time, and I have no doubt that I'd eventually get used to it like anything else new, but it certainly didn't come naturally right away as I thought it might. I actually think playing fretless 4 came more naturally. I'm so used to having the E the bottom lowest string that it tricked me into playing the wrong notes/patterns. I play with a hipshot detuner on my E now whenever I need to get that low.

I would actually like to try and own a 6 string rather than a 5er for the extended range and also to mount my Roland GK PUP onto, since the tracking's better in the upper range.

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 9:42 am 

I have and play a 5.
I have played 4 strings for most of my life, I am more comfortable on them and will never give them up. In fact I've been playing 4strings almost exclusively for the last 2 years because I was playing in a classic rock/ blues band and it was all that was necessary.

I have recently started playing the 5 again and I have a 5 string build in the planning stages. I am working in an original music situation now and the extended range of the 5 really fits (plus, I finally get to use my monster pedalboard :mrgreen: ).

I have been interested in 6 string however due to the problems with my left hand muteing may be problematic. If I decide to try it I'll get something inexpensive to experiment with. I've thought that a 6 strung piccolo might be pretty cool to try. :geek:

All I can say is that if it interests you then go get one and give it a go. You might just surprise yourself!

Cheers!

PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 10:01 am 

i had waited my first one,about one year,it was a Tobias Classic,it was before Tobias become a division of Gibson
I received it a few hours before a gig of 4 hours,it was the baddest 4 hours of my life because i took only the 5 string bass with me ,i had never played before on a 5 strings with a low B
i was totally lost ,and very disgusted by this instrument!!..
But i kept on working on it and finally get use with it,today when i go back to a 4 strings,i feel like it really miss me something,of course you can use a D tuner on a 4 strings but ,i think you'll never find the same sensation and possibility you have with a low B,it doesn't meen that you 'll do more think with a 5 than with a 4 strings
But,it really depends of the kind of music you play,and what are your need in your band,physically,i think that there are a lot of models offering different kind of neck wide or narrow,and the same for the body
The most important is not to stop at the first feeling you will have with it,just keep it for some month,work on it,and then you will know if it is for you or not ;)

Cheers
André

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 7:53 am 

I've owned 2 5ers, a Carvin LB75, and later a fretless Stingray. Tuned B-E-A-D-G, I could play either of them fine, with no mental issues whatsoever. But, I didn't like the tone below a low D, and I never altered my playing to include it, so after a few years of having the Carvin, I got rid of it. I got the 'Ray because it sounded and played incredible when I tried it out unplugged. Amplified, it wasn't nearly as impressive. And if I thought the low B was a waste on the Carvin, I thought it was 10 times the waste on the 'Ray. I never heard it live at all; I finally sold it out of frustration. I haven't completely given up on a 5; in fact, if I had the cash, I'd get the SR505 at my local Sam Ash, because it sounds wonderful.

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 12:33 pm 

I play 4, 5, and 6-string fretted and fretless, and I also play an Azola BugII EUB. This said, I find that all have their advantages and disadvantages. For me personally it comes down to knowing my abilities, the character of each bass, and the specific songs when choosing the best bass to play on what. I'll admit to compromise to save the quantity of instruments I would carry to a gig, and was always thinking of whether I really needed to break out the 6-string when a 4-string would do equally well from an audience perspective

as for learning, the 4-string will definitely be easier physically. you can get away with a 4-string + a Hipshot de-tuner and cover much of the range of a 5-string ... BUT ... a 5-string allows you to cover more territory in a single neck position while also fretting a low E. is this a good thing? the answer depends on exactly what you're looking to do. just because you have those extra low notes doesn't mean you have to play them on every song - right?!! same said for having 21 frets - do you play that high E on every song? (if your answer is 'yes' then you might just be a closet guitarist in need of some counseling)

same goes for a 6-string - you can cover more ground in a single position than you can on a 4or 5-string. whether this is good or not depends a lot on your playing style. a 6-string will definitely be more physically challenging than a 4-string, and you're forced to utilize good fretting technique of risk damage to your hand.

I'll admit to migrating back to just 4-strings in most of my playing. I do have my basses equipped with a de-tuner so I can be less stressed when the keyboardist starts calling tunes in E-flat or when that country diddy requires a low D. But while I'm into admitting things, I'll also admit that I play rarely anymore since I simply don't have the time (and it's unfair to keep bandmates on hold while I work out my business travel schedule)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: July 19th, 2008, 7:06 pm 

started on 4's, went to a 5er Traben after about 6 months and i aint going back...i'll still play 4s, but i think i'll stick to 5s when writing original music.

PostPosted: July 21st, 2008, 5:17 am 

Thanx guys...i think i'm gonna save some money.I wanna get me a 5 musicman stingray.You r right..you can only find out for yourself if something suits you or not..and that's what i'm gonna do.Cheers mate! 8-)

PostPosted: August 21st, 2008, 3:03 pm 

So...about the 5 string bass.I recently played with an ibanez.Even though it was right handed i really liked it.It had active pick ups..so the sound was kind of..more..how can i say it..rock!And i really like rock.I never had the chance to play with an ibanez.In Greece unfortunately the market is quite limited when it comes to left handed instruments.I don't have much money..maximum 600E(credit card).A friend of mine who is a metal bassist suggested that I tried Warwick basses.I had a pick in Warwick basses..it turns out that Warwick really cares for us lefties.Most basses r available left handed.So i im thinking of buying this one:
http://www.thomann.de/gr/warwick_rockba ... 5_a_lh.htm

This one really looks cool:

http://www.thomann.de/gr/dean_guitars_e ... arz_lh.htm

Any suggestions...? :P

PostPosted: August 21st, 2008, 4:58 pm 

Bassman, do you have a chance to try a G&L Tribute? Same price point as the ones you've listed and they're getting great reviews.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2008, 4:55 am 

Well...i have heard of G&L and to be honest..yesterday as i was going home from work..i came across a music store that had many G&L instruments.It was closed..but after glancing at the window...i noticed that there were no lefthanded instruments.The story of our life huh..?

I ll try to play with such instrument and see for myself..

PostPosted: August 25th, 2008, 10:19 am 

I have a Rockbass Corvette 4, Good bass, I like it.

However, be aware that if you are wanting the signature Warwick sound you will not find it there. The woods and construction are completely different, It will sound like a good, aggressive Jazz bass. And there is nothing wrong with that! :D

I usually keep mine strung piccolo: