LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 4:35 pm

Post subject: Your thoughts on custom lefty pricing
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2008, 5:18 pm 

So I am starting to face the very real reality that I am about to lose access to having a shop for the next year plus, and I'm starting to get a little 'anxious' about this late in the day this fine Friday afternoon. Because of this, I started a discussion with a US parts manufacturer that specializes in custom parts in small quantities for what I refer to as "custom assemblers" ... and for the record, NO this is not Warmoth, AllParts, WDMusic, MightyMite, etc ...

I have a basic 4-string model I could offer that utilizes their CNC machined nacks and bodies. Does this sound appealing?

- body (P-bass, J-bass, or '51 Tele)
+ Alder, Swamp Ash (add $15), or Mahogany (add $25)
+ solid color, burst (add $50), semi-transparent (add $50), others also available

- neck (4 in-line tuners with my custom headstock shape)
+ neck shaft of flatsawn Maple, birdseye Maple (add $35), quartersawn Maple (add $55)
+ fretboard of birdseye Maple, Rosewood (add $75), Ebony (add $50), Pau Ferro (add $30)
+ choice of fretwire or fretless
+ choice of P or J nut width
+ satin finish
+ choice of nut materials
++ Mahogany/Ebony neck also available with Mahogany body (add $100)

- Hipshot Ultralights

- Hipshot bridge

- Nordstrand pickups
+ NP-4, NJ4 set (add $50) P/J set (add $50), many other options available

- choice of pickguard

- case or gig bag

I could offer this in the $1750 range, with specific options adding to the price. Lead time would be about three months from time of order.

I believe it would also be possible to spec out a 5-string version with similar optons to the 4-string, but that has yet to be agreed upon.

I have played a couple of their necks and am really impressed. According to the shop owner, the P and J necks have their contours copied from several '62 Fender reference necks - they are some of the more comfortable necks I've played.

So what's your thoughts on something like this - is there any feedback you'd care to share (especially on things like pricing)? I'm definitely not looking for commitments at this time - I have to get myself moved into the apartment before I can take any kind of further actions - but if there is significant interest, I'll build a test instrument from their parts and make it available to a few of the locals here so they can share more on the overall vibe that can be achieved.

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: Your thoughts on custom lefty pricing
PostPosted: May 23rd, 2008, 6:23 pm 

Well, to be perfectly honest, the only one that would appeal to me is the '51 P bass/Tele bass style because that is the only style not readily available to us lefties. I have no doubt that your components and basses would be high quality and tops, but I just can't get excited about yet another P or J knockoff, let alone one that's in the $1750 range, even if it ends up being superior to a standard Fender.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2008, 7:00 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Well, to be perfectly honest, the only one that would appeal to me is the '51 P bass/Tele bass style because that is the only style not readily available to us lefties. I have no doubt that your components and basses would be high quality and tops, but I just can't get excited about yet another P or J knockoff, let alone one that's in the $1750 range, even if it ends up being superior to a standard Fender.

+1.

For Jazz basses, there used to be a huge gap: it was either an MIM, or whatever CIJ you could find (they seem plentyfull now on eBay) or customs. Most "established" builders, say Lull, Sadowsky, etc. all have product in the $3000-$4000 range. You can get a Modulus VJ for around $2000, but those are not very good IMHO.

So there wasn't anything in the $1000 to $2000 range. But this new Standard MIAs make it really hard to spend any more than $1149 for a quality Jazz, unless you want something very specific or a certain color, etc.

$1750 is right in the Valenti neighborhood, and I think he uses US Custom Guitars parts (he used to use more Warmoth before), and his basses seem very nice and solid.

Nash is right around that price also.

So, if somehow you can come up with something like a Valenti, who has a reputation already, at either a better price, or more features for the same price, then I could see the appeal.

I personally would try to deviate from the Fender formula a little and try to come up with a few models that are somewhat a signature of your work, or have more of a custom or hand-made vibe.

Say, lightweight mahogany bodies with a figured tops, some type of very nice fretboard wood, Nordstrands, Hipshot, etc. Something like what Devon Guitars is doing, or even Hotwire with some models.

For example, I project bass I've always think about is:

-Jazz body and neck
-Mahogany or alder chambered body
-Koa, Walnut, or any figured dark wood
-Oil finish
-Maple neck, ebony board
-No pickguard
-Cool electronics, like Big Singles and soapbards, and even Darkstars. And even GHOST piezo bridge pickups. I always wanted a fretless with those.
-Fretless with lines (tinted lines, so they don't looks so white).

Of course, that project would be more than $1750. I'm just saying an example of something that is not readily available in the market for lefties.

One thing that has keep me from ordering a custom from less than famous builders/luthier is the drop in value as soon as you buy it. That's why I think you must offer something unique for somebody to take the plunge. Study the market and find out what niche you can develop.

Regarding Fender-type instruments, I'd have to agree with Peter that a '51/Tele bass would be appealing, since you can't get those other than from Nash or building it yourself.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2008, 4:06 am 

Well,
I don't know how is the market,and taxes in the USA,but here in France we have a VAT of 19.6%!!!
so prices are climbing fast very high,when you want to buy a "good" bass
Here we have some very good Luthiers but their first price start arround 2000 Euros
I don't know if you plan to work only with Usa,or worldwide,
But one think is sure, for the moment 1Euros= 1.57 USD,and if you can make and sell a bass arround 1500-1600 USD,it make it affordable,for quite a lot of bass player here!!
Personnaly,i would agree with Lefty007,You have to offer an instrument that is a signature of your work,and as far as i saw it is very,very VERY :)far away from low cost instrument!!
Well that is in the direction i will go if i had you talent ;)

Cheers
André

PostPosted: May 24th, 2008, 7:00 am 

Quote:
Well, to be perfectly honest, the only one that would appeal to me is the '51 P bass/Tele bass style because that is the only style not readily available to us lefties.
+2 Exactly.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2008, 7:54 am 

thanks for your openness on this guys, it's greatly appreciated

outside of interest in the lefty '51P, you are confirming what I suspected - that I'll need to put my building activities on hold until I have return to having the capabilities to make everything myself. it's only with the added flexibility of self-made parts that I'll be able to continue offering custom instruments at a reasonable price

well ... I still have one last week to make the most of things in the shop :mrgreen:

all the best,

R