LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 12th, 2024, 9:31 pm

Post subject: Righty's Strung Lefty....
PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 3:12 am 

I know a fair amount of you here play your basses strung right-handed, or have right-handed basses strung left handed. I have always played left-hand basses strung for a lefty... or so I thought, until I came across an old photo from '76. I had this set up by a tech at the time, as changing strings was the only thing I was capable of... or taking them off to boil the grit out them!

This is some sort of Japanese copy of a Gibson... I liked it better than my '74 P-Bass at the time. I eventually sold it here in Hawaii, as I wasn't playing at the time. So, this is the only time I've ever had a right-hander; although I did buy an ATK305 righty recently that I may either string up Lefty, or make a Lefty body and move the neck and hardware over if I can't find a Lefty ATK305.... so here's the pic - I like the baby's face... I'm sure he's thinking "cool".....

Edit: My God, I just realized we were drinking Lowenbrau back then! Gurgle.....

Post subject: Re: Righty's Strung Lefty....
PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 8:16 am 

Ahhh, imitation Gibby LP Recording Bass. Was it as heavy as the real thing? :D
Great hat! and the guitarists shirt brings back memories of my own wardrobe! All you need are square-toed boots or plats and you're groovy! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 8:42 am 

well 76 was quite a few years before I really got going on bass, but as many righty basses I played ( play ), I just leave the strings the way they are. I never cared since I learned inverted, plus if I wanted to sell the thing, I could just box it up and sell it without any reversal of anything back to normal righty.

now a days I know the neck pretty well, and play my couple leftys strung lefty with the E on top, but for any "gigs" I still play inverted so I don't have to remember the strings are opposite of what I am used to.

also, I just bought a GSR300 lefty that HAD to have been used by a righty because there are 2 strap pins, and the strings are already flipped inverted, so I'll be able to pull it out and jam on it with no mods.

( I have NEVER EVER seen a righty play a lefty guitar/bass live before ) --in the sea of righty unitss out there from 20 bucks to 20,000 who in their right mind would do it anyway.... :P

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 1:14 pm 

amimbari wrote:
( I have NEVER EVER seen a righty play a lefty guitar/bass live before ) --in the sea of righty unitss out there from 20 bucks to 20,000 who in their right mind would do it anyway.... :P

And yet there are dozens of lefty vintage instruments out there modded with added strap holes in their lower horns because some righties thought it would look cool to be like Hendrix. :roll:

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 1:17 pm 

amimbari wrote:

I have seen quite a few guitars/basses on Ebay with holes in the other horn because they were played by a righty.

Jammed with one guy with that had a lefty Coronado:

Joe Perry plays a lefty Strat:

That image is from 1983, but I have seen recent pictures of him with a lefty Strat. Must be the same one.

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 2:35 pm 

i'm not saying there is no such righty who ever did/does it, just I have never personally gone to a show and saw someone doing it "live"

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 2:54 pm 

Basshappi wrote:
Ahhh, imitation Gibby LP Recording Bass. Was it as heavy as the real thing? :D
Great hat! and the guitarists shirt brings back memories of my own wardrobe! All you need are square-toed boots or plats and you're groovy! :mrgreen:

I don't recall the weight compared to my P-Bass; probably close though. The Greek hat calls to part of my ethnicity, and about this time is when I stopped wearing plats on a daily basis - and polyester shirts! Although there was still a couple of pairs of both in the closet....

PostPosted: January 7th, 2011, 10:58 pm 

Steve Miller still hauls around on tour the bass-ackward black Strat that's shown on the cover of the "Fly Like An Eagle" album.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2011, 5:31 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Steve Miller still hauls around on tour the bass-ackward black Strat that's shown on the cover of the "Fly Like An Eagle" album.

Alright - I like it!