LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 10:21 pm

Post subject: Are there any non fender P-Bass that a lefty can play?
PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 9:20 am 

Hi Folks

I noticed on talk bass that a lot of threads have been going up on p-bass copies. I want to get a p-bass, and a j-bass, and maybe an ABG for my collection. On this thread I would like to stick with the p-bass.

I feel like my options as a lefty are really limited for getting a p-bass. I have a Squire P-Bass Special (it has a p/j set up and a j neck). I got lucky, mine's was really well constructed, and it feels very solid (though I am a bit disappointed with the electronics, but what can you expect for $300).

I wanted to upgrade to a P-bass style bass that would be good for classic rock, as well as motown, but not the American Precision Fender (don't like the neck, don't want to have two fenders in my collection if I can help it). I defintiely want something that will give me that classic p-bass low-mid thump. Does being lefty mean I am forced to hold on to my bass and simply mod it? Or are there p-bass alternatives? I would like to stay around $1100 or so.

Any thoughts that folks on this board could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Are there any non fender P-Bass that a lefty can play?
PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

The only mid priced P-Bass out there besides the Fender one that I can think of is G+L make a p-bass style bass that I think you could find used for under $1100. If you were able to stretch your budget a bit more you could get into a Regenerate P-Bass, but otherwise in lefty most of the boutique Fender clones sell for more. Even Nash basses are creeping towards the $2,000 range these days.

I'm sure there are some smaller builders out there that'd have what you need, but generally the P-bass clones fall into either being quite cheap or quite expensive with a lack of mid-priced options.

I just got a Regenerate P-bass and I love it to death. It is easily on par with my Lakland p-bass.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 1:04 pm 

velalv wrote:
but not the American Precision Fender (don't like the neck)

What don't you like about the neck?

Coming from the guitar world, I find the slimmer J-Bass necks more comfortable. It's the main reason I am selling my G&L "P-Bass", it's my least favorite neck.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 1:55 pm 

What about Schecter?

You could also build a pretty sweet Warmoth for $1100.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 2:01 pm 

I think with minimal upgrades you could make your Squire a killer bass. Change out the pots and drop a Lindy Fralin PUP in there. There's also aftermarket necks out there you could acquire if needed.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2010, 2:47 pm 

Thanks for the quick responses. I appreciate it.

To answer the question about the neck, I don't like the neck on the American P because it is too thick, and I do not care for the profile either. I have really enjoyed playing my p-bass that happens to have a j-bass neck. My neck is 1.5 at the nut, and 7.5 inches in radius.

Now, regarding G&L, I had thought about getting a custom ordered G&L SB-1, but the pickups are really hot, and not vintage P-bass at all.

Regarding the very useful comment about modding, I may just do that. I do actually like the bass a lot, just wanted a bit more output from the pups and more vintage tone. The Lindey Fralin idea sounds goods.

I'll look at Regenerate, Warmouth, and Schecter, those are relatively new to me. When I think Schecter, I think metal, not Motown. Anyhow, is there a Schecter model that anyone would recommend? I did not even know there was a p-bass equivalent with them. I am a little scared of doing a custom build with Warmoth, but I am open to giving them a try.

Andrew, would you mind sharing how much yours ran for, and what the specs are?

I think that covers the replies. Please keep the info coming if you have any reactions to what I said here. Thanks.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 8:11 am 

velalv wrote:
When I think Schecter, I think metal, not Motown. Anyhow, is there a Schecter model that anyone would recommend? I did not even know there was a p-bass equivalent with them.

Did you look at their website?

http://www.schecterguitars.com/

Anyway, I've never even owned a Schecter... but everyone who I know that has always says that they're about the best bang for the buck out there... that's the only reason why I suggested them to you.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 9:12 am 

I've heard a lot of good things about SX basses from Rondo, but i guess it's comparable to your Squier..

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 9:45 am 

I found a used GSR200L for 100 bucks that I am very happy with.
new they are 239.00 or less in some places.

then there's always MY favorite non-Fender p-bass :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 5:38 pm 

You might think the neck is too fat but personally, I love this G&L LB100 - Considering the price you could replace the pickup by a Lindy Frailin and still be under budget.

http://www.leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2091

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 7:17 pm 

lol, for now I still have the last post in that thread Frenchy ;)

hey I got another 50.00 lefty p/jj -bass that sounds like a p-bass when you turn of the doublej :)

and now I have a matched pair :lol:

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 9:44 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
I think with minimal upgrades you could make your Squire a killer bass. Change out the pots and drop a Lindy Fralin PUP in there. There's also aftermarket necks out there you could acquire if needed.

I saw you did a thorough review of the Model T a while back. How would it compare to the Squier I have? I have to admit, I feel I have something to think about with the Model T, but after reading that the pickups are hot, I am not sure I want that. I rather want something that sounds like a p-bass for a reasonable price. Thoughts?

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 12:04 pm 
Site Admin

velalv wrote:
Andrew, would you mind sharing how much yours ran for, and what the specs are?

I'd have to look, because I got a couple features on mine that were an upcharge, but I think they start at about $1600.

Specs are alder body, maple neck/maple board, 1.5" nut, Hipshot hardware, Nordstrand vintage P pickup. Despite the overabundance of black lefty basses in the world, I got this in black because I dig the look (black finish, black pickguard). I got it with tinted finish on the neck and one cool feature that I've not seen on any other boutique Fender clone; the board is gloss finish but the back of the neck is satin finish. It has that silky, comfy feel in my hand, but looks much more authentically vintage with the gloss finish on the board/headstock. And the neck has a zero fret, which I didn't appreciate would make a noticeable difference until I played a neck with one, but it really tightens open notes and makes the sound really consistent all over the neck. It was extra for the neck to be done that way but totally worth it to me. I A/B'ed it against a '66 Fender Precision at Rod's shop and I preferred the Regenerate P easily.

I'm not at home right now, but I'll post a pic of the bass when I get home. But you can see a small pic of it on the Regenerate website here:

http://regenerateguitarworks.com/?page_id=39

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 2:10 pm 

Yamaha's BB series is known for being a pretty good P-style bass.

I own an Atkinson P Bass, which I got completely custom to my specs for just over a grand:

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 2:43 pm 

I love my new St.Blues King Blues Bass
Also my Yamahas, old:
and new:

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 3:46 pm 

velalv wrote:
pjmuck wrote:

I saw you did a thorough review of the Model T a while back. How would it compare to the Squire I have? I have to admit, I feel I have something to think about with the Model T, but after reading that the pickups are hot, I am not sure I want that. I rather want something that sounds like a p-bass for a reasonable price. Thoughts?

The PUPs are lifeless, IMO. Loud but muddy as if there's a blanket over your amp. I suppose better/higher pots (500k?)/wiring might coerce some better highs/clarity out of it, but I haven't that far yet. Aesthetically, the Model T's a definite looker, but the build and sounds are simply not up to the same level of quality I've found with other Schecter models.

Let's be practical here. You love everything abotu your Squire except the tone, right? Considering you'd already need to improve the PUPs in addition to spending $650+ on a new bass,
I still think you should just upgrade your Squire. There's simply no harm in picking up a Fralin, dropping it in, and seeing what the result is. Putting in quality pots/wiring will go along way too. If you don't like it, you can always sell the Fralin. (Hell, I'll buy it from you!). They hold their value well.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 6:46 pm 

One of the best bass for the bucks is the Yamaha BB414 (the passive model PJ). If you can find one, jump on it !!!

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 7:56 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
velalv wrote:
pjmuck wrote:

I saw you did a thorough review of the Model T a while back. How would it compare to the Squire I have? I have to admit, I feel I have something to think about with the Model T, but after reading that the pickups are hot, I am not sure I want that. I rather want something that sounds like a p-bass for a reasonable price. Thoughts?

The PUPs are lifeless, IMO. Loud but muddy as if there's a blanket over your amp. I suppose better/higher pots (500k?)/wiring might coerce some better highs/clarity out of it, but I haven't that far yet. Aesthetically, the Model T's a definite looker, but the build and sounds are simply not up to the same level of quality I've found with other Schecter models.

Let's be practical here. You love everything abotu your Squire except the tone, right? Considering you'd already need to improve the PUPs in addition to spending $650+ on a new bass,
I still think you should just upgrade your Squire. There's simply no harm in picking up a Fralin, dropping it in, and seeing what the result is. Putting in quality pots/wiring will go along way too. If you don't like it, you can always sell the Fralin. (Hell, I'll buy it from you!). They hold their value well.

Thanks for the thoughtful comment. I think you nailed it right on. I like everything about my Squier except the tone on the p pickups on my p-bass special. I like the back pickup well enough. I kept the stock strings, but I will probably change them up.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2010, 8:03 pm 

Also agree that both the Saint Blues and the Schecter are lookers. Good to know about the Yamaha, they are reasonably priced. I do want to save money for a nice J-bass though like the Carvin SB 4000 or an American Fender Jazz Deluxe (NEW) that has been offered to me for $1000. Hoping to get a Christmas bonus, and cobble the money together from that and some savings to get the jazz, and upgrade the Squier. I feel weird about having two fenders, but that would not be the end of the world.

Andrew thanks for information on your custom build, regenerate seems like a good company. The bass you had built is a beauty, and ordering from Rodent would be something that I would look at over the long term if simply dropping some new pups (and maybe adding some flatwounds) on my p-bass special does not do the trick, or I remain GASing for a new p-bass.

Thanks all for the useful information. Any more thoughts are appreciated of course.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2010, 9:37 pm 

For what it's worth, I just bought a Schecter 6 string with EMG's and people seem to love its sound. I also have two band member friends who own schecters, one a guitar, the other a 4 string bass and they both seem to think they are fabulous instruments. They sound good to my ears too. I don't know if I have ever heard a very bad opinion about schecters. They're machined so quality control should be consistent on all of them I think. The amount of money put into a shecter produces equivalent quality, unlike my Gibson which I spent a small fortune on and which never fails to disappoint me.

www.a-prior-i.com
www.myspace.com/impenetrableeye