LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 1st, 2024, 6:31 pm

Post subject: Bad days can happen at any time ( broken headstock content )
PostPosted: November 15th, 2010, 9:42 am 

ok I paid 60 bucks for this unit, so when it happened I was bummed for about 15 seconds then just laughed. I took it out of the box, not thinking about anything and the strap pin screw was not tight, and I strapped it on and BANG...oh well time to get the neck off and find some wood glue :(

it does make a cute pair, which was my intention from the beginning and since the guitar actually has inlays, I'm gonna put stickers on the bass so it matches even more...

I just have to get the head fixed up, and I'll eventually use it. Beyond the damage, the thing sounds ok for what it is. I'll just call it a "project" for now :)

Post subject: Re: Bad days can happen at any time ( broken headstock content )
PostPosted: November 15th, 2010, 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Ouch! I guess it still works as a 3 string.

Looks totally fixable though.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2010, 12:38 pm 

if it was my only bass I'd be MF'ing everything and everybody, or if I paid a lot for this and killed it on day 1, same thing, but it was my own fault.

I'll fix it eventually. Like the other post said, it was only really bought as a companion to the guitar since Bently has been out of business since 93 or so, kinda like Music-YO for the Kramer stuff so if it sits for a month or a YEAR, I don't care...hehehe

PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 9:43 am 

Bummer, but look on the bright side..at least you're not this guy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FioV-Ems ... r_embedded

PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 1:51 pm 

man basshappi, in that video it looks like he just "grazed" the singer and pop..lol typical weak headstocked gibson. :)

you cant tell but if that IS a real gibson or an epi, I'll bet after that show he was crying if he just destroyed a 800.00+ or more gibby......

PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 3:33 pm 

Amimbari, from seeing your vids and hearing your playing you seem to be very very good and been around for a long time. I have to ask why deal with all those cheepy basses? I'm not trying to be a jerk or rag on guys who just can't afford nice units but it seems like you have tons of basses and most is sort of mid to lower price points and what happened there is typical of that kind of import Korean or Chinese or whatever.

Why not have 5 great basses and 1 beater bass? I see many posts here guys going gaga over stuff I would normally use to prop up my tomato plants. I'm not being snobby just realistic I think. Unless you like tinkering with stuff I guess... Addison told me the other day about a conversation he had with Brian Beller and I don't remember exactly word for word but Brian said you don't need the most expensive gear in the world but you should have equipment nice enough that when you are playing or writing or just in the creative process have nice enough stuff that it doesn't get in the way or distract you.

I work lie 60 -70 hours a week at my day job and the last thing I want to do is "MacGyver" my stuff. I have to plan ahead to block out time to change strings. I seriously am not tryng to come off as a jerk as you seem to me to be a veteran who deserves nice basses that’s mostly what I mean.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2010, 5:58 pm 

oh I got the meaning with no insults intended, considering anytime anyone recognizes that I didn't just start last week I appreciate it.

For the metal bands of the younger years, I had a Concert and that black Jackbird in the videos with many various amps and cabs..that's all I used 2 basses for almost 10 years.

so :P all that above, and the fact that I'm 50 and this band thing to me any more is fun and some extra taxfree cash monthly in a cover band jamming 500 dollar gigs without worrying about practices, CD's, tours, promoting, bus trips or always having to own a van or SUV to haul all the gear around anymore. I'm having the best musical time of my life when it's fun and not an extension of my day j.o.b . :mrgreen:

I could never get the crystal clear tones or superfine on-board eq and switch settings of a nice unit, or the fantastic fretboard work of a quality unit but for what I like to jam, it's not necessary. the cheapie basses just show me that although not high end in any way, but they do sound unique - even plywood basses with the proper pickups and are perfect with my rig and what I play.

maybe I could convince Jim Haslip to give me one of his custom already inverted basses :ugeek:

PostPosted: November 18th, 2010, 8:11 am 

Basshappi wrote:
Bummer, but look on the bright side..at least you're not this guy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FioV-Ems ... r_embedded

That definitely looked like a practical joke at the bass player's expense. I mean, what if these guys accidentally broke the headstock and glued it back on or something when he wasn't looking. I mean, if headstocks really break that easily then I wouldn't even be able to carry around my equipment in cases without worrying about them breaking.

www.a-prior-i.com
www.myspace.com/impenetrableeye