LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 4th, 2024, 4:41 am

Post subject: Cheap Basses--Worth it or Junk?
PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 6:32 am 

Hey guys,

I have a Precision Bass and absolutely love it. I have bigger hands than my father, who always has had to have narrow necked guitars because he couldn't get his hands around the bigger necks (for example, I love the feel of Les Paul guitar/bass while he can't stand it.)

However, I do trip up on my Precision more often then I'd like when I'm jumping around a lot/playing lots of notes.

I've heard good things about basses by SX, and Jay Turser...are these things worth picking up if I want a spare bass, or are they junk?

Post subject: Re: Cheap Basses--Worth it or Junk?
PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 7:04 am 

Quote:
I've heard good things about basses by SX, and Jay Turser...

You answered your own question.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 7:16 am 

Hahaha okay! I am however trying to find a model with a narrower neck...any thoughts?

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 7:50 am 

No Turser experience but I own a few SXs, none of which have a narrow Jazz-sized neck, even the Jazz copies. That being said, mine are all from about 2 years ago so things may have changed. I do believe that Rondo lists the nut width of their basses.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 7:52 am 

The one thing I will say about the cheap stuff is this:

The cheaper you go, the more inconsistencies you'll see in build quality and woods, etc... some will disagree with me, but... that's the way I see it after several years experience on both the manufacturing and retail sides of the music industry.

With that in mind, I would NEVER buy a "cheap" bass sight unseen... ever.

I have seen some absolute CRAP come through the stores I have worked in. Some instruments literally had loose screws floating around inside the box... some had fingerboards that were more well-suited for roller coaster tracks than playing a bassline. I've seen neck screws completely stripped straight from the factory because the necks are screwed on with hydraulic power tools and entire fingerboards where all the fret ends were lifted so high that a decent setup was impossible... it goes on and on and on.

And here's the big kicker... when you call the manufacturer and report the problem, some don't even want the bass back to fix it. They tell you to just throw it away if it can't be fixed at the store, and they'll send out a new one. It's not even worth it to them. Think about it... if you're paying $150 for a bass, then dealer cost will probably be $75-$100... that means manufacturing costs are around $35-$50... or less.

Every once in a while one would come through that was decent... maybe one in 20? I'd do a quick setup on it and say to myself, "Wow... for $200, this is a great bass for a backup or for a beginner or intermediate player... someone is going to get lucky with this one."

But most of the time, that wasn't the case.

Maybe I'm just more picky than the average bear... but, I've grown to appreciate the consistent quality and the finer details you get when you save up to buy a bass from one of the more quality builders out there.

Anyway... if you're going to go that direction, my advice to you is to do whatever you can to get your hands on it BEFORE you shell over any money for it. You definitely can find some decent instruments out there for practically nothing, but... IMO, it's usually not worth it.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 8:55 am 

Addison, I def see where you're coming from and agree.

I'm glad to know about the necks.

I have a Squier, and I hear people constantly dissing about how terrible they are...and then there's the Fenders, with a price disparity (especially if you get an American standard) that is enormous.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 9:54 am 

I have an SX "Jazz" and it is a surprisingly good bass. The neck is a bit wider than my Fender MIM Jazz but definitely narrower than my MIA Precision.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 12:46 pm 

Addison wrote:
Think about it... if you're paying $150 for a bass, then dealer cost will probably be $75-$100... that means manufacturing costs are around $35-$50... or less.

You'd be closer with the "less" for an SX - I know for a fact that Dean pays $70 to have their guitars and basses manufactured overseas and shipped to their plant here in Tampa. That $70 includes the shipping BTW and they think THAT'S too expensive. When the instruments get here they do a quick set-up and ship them out. The American series are built here and that's why they cost over two grand each. Even Mighty Mite has outsourced overseas.

pete

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 4:31 pm 

and here lies the problem we have as lefties.
Most of the time, we have to buy sight unseen because no-one stocks lefties

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 7:59 pm 

It always ends up being a matter of personal preference. I haven't had any experience with SX, but the dozens of Jay Tursers/Carlo Robelli/Brownsville basses I've played were all way beneath my standards. Dean's better, but the only Dean I've liked is the Stylist, and they don't make it lefty. Plus, there are used instruments out there that offer way better bang for your buck. I have 2 Soundgear 800's that I bought used, paying about (or less than) what the Tursers cost, and to compare them to a JT would be like comparing a used Ferarri to a new Yugo.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 8:05 pm 

SX basses really? I say save your money. I can understand if you’re just starting out or you want to test the waters but then again I would think it better to start off with something with a little better build quality even in the beginning so you can start to train you ear with proper intonation and feel. Or maybe you have some great stuff and you want a fun beater bass to leave out or play in dive bars but when I think of all the money I pissed away on poor quality basses I could cry. Or if money is super tight I get it.
I think for the slimmer thinner neck profile and decent build quality Ibanez should do the trick better than most entry level basses. Even a 505 or whatever they are. They have some watered down Bartolini pickups and electronics and some good woods and a multi laminate neck for a couple hundred bucks. Just a suggestion.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 8:57 pm 

I think the answer to the question is: worth it relevant to what?

To some, spending $5000+ on an instrument like an Alembic is worth every penny, while others acknowledge that you can make music on just about anything, so it really comes down to what you're specific needs are and how much you're willing to spend for your own personal enjoyment. Considering Fender typically charges $1400 and up for one of their American made instruments, I know plenty would argue that they're not worth the price, while others would argue that they don't have a high enough level of quality, so which end of the spectrum are you? Which is why there are instruments at all price points to satisfy players at different levels or those who are looking for a bargain "best bang for the buck" instrument, or even someone looking for a cheap bass to experiment or modify.

There's so much info on the net these days from people reviewing instruments that it should be easy to find the diamonds in the rough, as long as you're willing to keep your expectations in check when considering a cheap instrument. I read rave reviews about the Rogue Violin bass and picked one up for about $200 a few years ago after looking for a Hofner tone on the cheap. Some obviously cut corners and cheap components aside, it turned out to be just what I was looking for. CNC equipment has definitely improved lower end manufacturing and overseas Asian products over recent years, and I'd argue that the better companies manufacturing in Korea or even China can give you a better made product than many of the American companies were back in the 70's (Hello Fender?!).

So in answer to your question: YES

Read up on what you're interested in, check reviews and opinions from other players, and when you've narrowed it down take a plunge. If it ends up sucking, at least you're not out $5000. :lol:

PostPosted: August 4th, 2010, 10:56 pm 

Oh man, one of my favorite topics...I thought I was going to have to write a book, but thanks to PJ, I can get by with saying ditto and AMEN to all his comments ;) , plus add a few addtional ones, speaking as someone who over the years has owned and sold and still owns literally hundreds of basses from across the spectrum of high end boutique to vintage classics to cheap budget basses and everything in between. In the end it comes down to how you define your price-to-value ratio in terms of what matters most to you. If you get exposed to enough basses and you are willing to keep a totally objective and open mind, you will find your way to a simple truth, particularly as it pertains to mass produced instrumrents regardless of price: Paying a lot of money for a bass is no guarantee it won't suck, and paying a couple hundred is no quarantee that it will suck. The bottom line is this: How does it play, and how does it sound? If it feels good to you, it is; if it sounds good to you, it is. I've owned Squires that were better playing basses than some of the USA Fenders I've owned, even though the quality of the materials on the USA bass was better and the resale value higher. I own Squires (I highly recommend the Modified 70's Vintage Jazz which can be had for under $300), SXs, and even a Brownsville 5 string (that I generally go to over my Carvin and my MTD 5'ers). I'm not saying these are the best basses I own, but their price-to-value ratio is high, and I'm no snob when it comes to brands or points of origin. Ain't nothin' wrong with buying a cheap bass as long as you know what you're doing. In fact, I get a high level of satisfaction out of finding a $200 bass that kicks butt.

If you're on a budget- as PJ said, do your homework, there's lots of info and reviews out there, and if you need help we're here for you too.

One last addtional word of cautionary warning: SETUP! Probably 75% or more of the basses I come across whether in a store or a private owner are either poorly setup or have never been properly set up at all. If there's one aspect of my acquired skills that has paid more benefits over the years than any other, it's being intimately knowledgeable on having done setups on just about every bass known to man. A really good setup (bridge height /intonation, neck relief, nut height, pickup height and string balance,string type, etc.) can be the difference between a $200 bass being a gem that plays like butter, or a $2000 piece of crap that you struggle to get comfortable with. I've lost count of how many supposedly "bad" basses at every price point I've been able to resurrect due to a previous owner's inexperience or neglect in this area. This is a skill acquired over years of experience and having "seen it all"- learning the idiosyncracies of various types and brands and how to correct the myriad of situations you encounter. Do not trust this to the pimple faced kid at your local guitar center. Seek out someone with experience who really knows what they're doing, and start learning as much about it as you can- you'll be glad you did!

P.S. For a cheap bass with an ultrathin neck and a cool vintage vibe, check out the SX SJMB-62. Priced around $159, you get an EXCELLENT neck with well done fretwork and a vintage Jazz bass feel that is much thinner than the other SX P bass or J bass necks, and a distinctive solid alder Jaguar-esque body. The overall fit and finish on mine is very very good. The stock Jazz electronics are the weak point, but are easily upgraded.

Attachments:
SX%20SJMB-62__.jpg
SX%20SJMB-62__.jpg [ 215.46 KiB | Viewed 5533 times ]
PostPosted: September 4th, 2010, 9:42 am 

I was thinking about buying a Greg Bennett FN 1 to go along with the Jazz Bass I already have. I've heard a lot of good things about them, but I'd like to hear some advice from you guys too. The price is 248.00 USD and it almost seems too good to be true. The bass sounds good when I mess with it at the store but I'm afraid it might not hold up well. Should I go for it or is the risk too great?