LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 3rd, 2024, 5:22 am

Post subject: Stagg Electric Upright...
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 12:56 pm 

Saw this video, and like the price, and sound of this bass. Doesn't appear to be made in Left Hand though. Do you guys know of any other EUB's like this for about the same price, and similar in sound?
I think it has a very acoustic upright sound considering....

http://www.gearwire.com/stagg-edb34-demo.html

Post subject: Re: Stagg Electric Upright...
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 7:29 pm 

Very Nice. I don't think I've seen or heard anything in that price range as good as that. The Dean Pace is the only thing I can think of offhand, but that doesn't come anywhere near as convincing in sound as the Stagg. The only other super cheap electric upright I can recall that came in lefty was the Goldtone, but I'm not sure they offer lefties anymore and I also heard it wasn't a very good instrument. Also, the Palatino VE-500 is decent for the money, but I'm not sure they make lefties either.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 7:49 pm 

I agree with you on the sound vs. price ratio - this bass sounds quite convincing! I have a friend who has a Dean, and it doesn't sound this "woody". Also, he's given it over to a local guitar tech to change out the jack, volume control, and do some other upgrades. Dean basses are known for their cheap parts, which fall apart over time. By the time he has it all fixed, it will cost him a bit over a $1000, including the buying price.

If it wasn't for the way the body wings go in to the Stagg, it might be possible to switch it over. although I recall the reviewer saying there is a stand to attach it to if you want a more stable playing position. Hmmmmm..... ;)

PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 12:37 am 

I'm no fan of the Dean Pace either. I don't consider it a true electric upright, it's more like an upright bass guitar. The fingerboard radius is very flat, so it's impossible to play arco on it. The Stagg does offer the full playability of a true upright, and indeed sounds very convincing and looks good. A guy I know has one and is very happy with it. I've heard some recordings of his, and it sounded very nice.

I don't think reversing the strings should be a problem. The controls will be on the wrong side, but they won't likely get in your way, and changing out the nut and bridge seems like a piece of cake too. On a real upright, the fingerboard is often radiused asymmetrically. I'm not sure if that's the case with the Stagg too, but I doubt it. Worth checking out!

I used to have this Big Kydd, which was converted to lefty by Dutch luthier Ellio Martina (who also built my Forza 5-string) - but these pics were taken before conversion:

It's a 35" solid flamed maple headless with ABM Mueller tailpiece, a simple wooden bridge with Fishman BP100 pickups, and a stringclamp on the end of the neck which enables you to use any kind of strings. I had to have the bridge reversed, the bridge angle changed, and the stringclamp on the 'headstock' had to be removed, the screwholes plugged and redrilled to place the clamp in a new angle, and the slots of the D and G string had to be widened to accommodate the heavier string gauge of the E and A string. I also had side dots inlaid. Very nice instrument, sounded very good for regular pizzicato playing and accommodated arco as well, but this didn't sound very convincing to my ear. Used it live on a couple of occassions, but used it too little to justify keeping it and I usually prefer playing an entire gig on the same bass.