LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:54 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Scream Basses newly formed AMERICAN bass manufactuer
PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 3:30 pm 

Has anyone checked out Scream Basses? I just bought one from Pete Conrad owner of the company and let me just say that these are the best AMERICAN, that's right I said AMERICAN made basses new to the industry. My bass is awsome and now is the time to buy American. Support out American builders!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Scream Basses newly formed AMERICAN bass manufactuer
PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 3:40 pm 

I've been taking about (and to) Pete for a few weeks now; and went by his place last week and tried out 3 of his basses. He definitely makes quality stuff.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 4:22 pm 

thecolonists wrote:
Has anyone checked out Scream Basses? I just bought one from Pete Conrad owner of the company and let me just say that these are the best AMERICAN, that's right I said AMERICAN made basses new to the industry. My bass is awsome and now is the time to buy American. Support out American builders!!!!!

:?

I'm sure the basses are excellent but nationalism shouldn't be a selling-point, quality and value should. Screaming "AMERICAN" in all caps can be a turn off and I'm a US citizen saying this.

Last edited by Agent00Soul on May 18th, 2010, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 4:23 pm 

Pete joined our forum a few weeks ago. Good to hear positive reviews.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rick,
Nice to have you here. Be sure to post some pics when you get your bass and write a review of it. How much did the bass cost?

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 8:47 am 

The Scream SJ bass that I just bought was $1,349.00.

Keep up the great work Pete! Support Scream Basses!

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 10:37 am 

Agent00Soul wrote:
thecolonists wrote:

:?

I'm sure the basses are excellent but nationalism shouldn't be a selling-point, quality and value should. Screaming "AMERICAN" in all caps can be a turn off and I'm a US citizen saying this.

Word.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 11:48 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rK3s_BP9kE
:D

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 5:01 pm 

Just my 2 cents but I think stating your and American company to me is selling point. I am also a US citizen and watching most of our jobs in manufacturing floating away to other countries only because it’s cheaper to produce at the expense of American jobs is a shame. Buying products here that were designed and manufactured somewhere else because they are a great value and a great product is a different story. I also play Mesa amps and do because of the value and quality and the fact they are hand assembles here in the US to me makes me even happier. I am just as proud of my Warwicks from Germany and my Spectors from the Czech Republic as I am of my Mike Lull. I don’t play my Lull more actually I prefer my Jazzman Corvette but it does give me a little kick knowing where the Lull was made.
I use and buy many products made all over the world and have no problems buying a great product manufactured somewhere else. I dig my German cars and basses. You see American instruments in hands of musicians the world over and foreign manufactured instruments here. Being proud of home and stating it is great thing from any country. I love EBS and they have Sweden all over their stuff and I think that’s awesome. It wouldn’t be the only reason I would buy a Screamer but it would make it a little sweeter. (Without asking a bunch of questions and then not buying it). :D

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

I have no problem with people being proud of where you're from. I think the issue here was that there's a lot of people on here (myself included) who aren't American, and when the talk moves past national pride into talk about supporting America instead of other places it both gets political in a forum not geared toward political talk and starts to have a sentiment of exclusion to non U.S. members.

If you guys want to start a thread in the Leftorium about this go for it (but buyer beware), but I'd prefer we leave this forum to more bass-centric talk. Thanks!

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 6:41 pm 

+1 - nicely said.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 9:18 pm 

andrew wrote:
I have no problem with people being proud of where you're from. I think the issue here was that there's a lot of people on here (myself included) who aren't American, and when the talk moves past national pride into talk about supporting America instead of other places it both gets political in a forum not geared toward political talk and starts to have a sentiment of exclusion to non U.S. members.

If you guys want to start a thread in the Leftorium about this go for it (but buyer beware), but I'd prefer we leave this forum to more bass-centric talk. Thanks!

+1. The whole American made is better mythology, as it applies specifically to instruments manufactured on a mass production level (I'll leave other products out of this, though the same principals could be applied), can more or less be traced right to Fender and Gibson, and the development of the vintage market. First it was the belief that Pre-CBS instruments were better made, of higher quality, and had Leo's personal loving touch, and now you're looking at a meteoric rise in market value for the undeniably sketchy 70's era instruments, simply because they're old and US made. To this day, these companies have successfully managed to convince the general public that American is better, as evidenced by the higher price tags and resale value. Many of today's overseas-produced instruments rival the quality of American instruments and/or their counterpart models, and with the advent of CNC equipment I'd argue that the propensity for error compared to the 70's US stuff is far lower. Skimping on production costs by producing overseas doesn't necessarily mean using inferior materials. It usually means using cheaper labor to bring an instrument in at a lower price point. (Which may bring it's own share of ethical issues I won't elaborate on).

I'm speaking purely on a mass-produced basis, since a hand made instrument created by a master luthier who knows what they're doing should represent the highest quality. Just note that mastery and talent in instrument building knows no single nationality.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 8:52 am 

I've been following this thread as well with just a little twinge of annoyance. As another non-American who has a number of American friends I work conscientiously to undermine the tacky American stereotypes that so many people over here still have. As it happens I own a number of very fine American made instruments, and show them off to my friends and colleagues whenever I can. I also have a number of equally fine instruments from the UK, Germany and Japan. As has already been said here, quality should not recognise national boundaries. If it's good enough, people will buy it. Jingoism should have no place in this discussion.

What a shame we're not talking more about the basses themselves.

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 9:48 am 

I feel like I have to jump in here, though it's been a great discussion IMO. What's going on isn't any country bashing. I, like probably ever other bassist out there, feel that there are tons of great builders out there, from South America, to Europe to Asia and beyond. I drool over Wal's, Sei's, J Drozd and I could go on. For me, and I think what the original poster was trying to emphasize, was that, like Rodent and many other builders, whether in the USA or any country, we choose not to use any substandard shortcuts when we build unlike many of the major manufacturers. I'm only following Dan Lakin, Roger Sadowsky, Jim Mouradian, Mike Lull and Mike Pedulla's lead. (FWIW I feel Pedulla is the best builder in the states.)

Dean, who is just down the street from me, has all of their guitars manufactured in Asia (except their "American Series".) The typical cost built, finished and shipped from Korea is $70. I use Schaller and Delano - two European companies - but I won't use Korean or Chinese parts because when I call Jason at Hipshot or Stew at Nordstrand and place an order I know that I'm helping to keep this country going - and that's what we need right about now.

Dan and I were just discussing this topic last week. I tested many, many suppliers and their wares INCLUDING Chinese because I wanted to see the difference in everything offered. It's taken me a while to narrow my suppliers but I feel I've chosen the best. FWIW, the Chinese factory sent me six bodies in ten days. The quality was pretty good, but not up to my standards. I can get CNC routed Jazz bodies, including shipping, for $65 and my customers wouldn't even know the difference - not after being painted. But that's not what I do.

I still own my first two basses (well, 2nd and 3rd) a Hondo II and an Ibanez. Hope this clears things up a bit.

pete

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 9:52 am 

You......freaking idiots. This isn't about America. This is about ME. Do you realize these basses are made about 5 miles away from where I live? If you all buy Scream basses, Pete will be so busy he'll have to open up a plant, and he'll need a partner; Like Leo Fender needed George Fullerton and Forrest White, or like Everett Hull needed Jess Oliver. So, while I sit here unemployed, you guys are screwing me royally by arguing instead of buying Scream basses!

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 9:57 am 

screambasses wrote:
I still own my first two basses (well, 2nd and 3rd) a Hondo II and an Ibanez.

I still have 3 Ibanezes; I gave up on my Hondo after the neck got so warped I caught snakes humping it.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 10:19 am 

danomite64 wrote:
You......freaking idiots. This isn't about America. This is about ME. Do you realize these basses are made about 5 miles away from where I live? If you all buy Scream basses, Pete will be so busy he'll have to open up a plant, and he'll need a partner; Like Leo Fender needed George Fullerton and Forrest White, or like Everett Hull needed Jess Oliver. So, while I sit here unemployed, you guys are screwing me royally by arguing instead of buying Scream basses!

:mrgreen:

EXACTLY! I need a good model.

pete

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 10:59 am 
Site Admin

screambasses wrote:
I feel like I have to jump in here, though it's been a great discussion IMO. What's going on isn't any country bashing. I, like probably ever other bassist out there, feel that there are tons of great builders out there, from South America, to Europe to Asia and beyond. I drool over Wal's, Sei's, J Drozd and I could go on. For me, and I think what the original poster was trying to emphasize, was that, like Rodent and many other builders, whether in the USA or any country, we choose not to use any substandard shortcuts when we build unlike many of the major manufacturers. I'm only following Dan Lakin, Roger Sadowsky, Jim Mouradian, Mike Lull and Mike Pedulla's lead. (FWIW I feel Pedulla is the best builder in the states.)

Dean, who is just down the street from me, has all of their guitars manufactured in Asia (except their "American Series".) The typical cost built, finished and shipped from Korea is $70. I use Schaller and Delano - two European companies - but I won't use Korean or Chinese parts because when I call Jason at Hipshot or Stew at Nordstrand and place an order I know that I'm helping to keep this country going - and that's what we need right about now.

Dan and I were just discussing this topic last week. I tested many, many suppliers and their wares INCLUDING Chinese because I wanted to see the difference in everything offered. It's taken me a while to narrow my suppliers but I feel I've chosen the best. FWIW, the Chinese factory sent me six bodies in ten days. The quality was pretty good, but not up to my standards. I can get CNC routed Jazz bodies, including shipping, for $65 and my customers wouldn't even know the difference - not after being painted. But that's not what I do.

I still own my first two basses (well, 2nd and 3rd) a Hondo II and an Ibanez. Hope this clears things up a bit.

pete

The thing is I agree that it's cool to have a company that supports your local economy. It is better imo, I'm not saying that's wrong.

But this discussion is off topic for a bass specific forum, and I should mention I also deleted/edited the OP's multiple/more ferverent americana posts from the board, so we're only left with a slice of that initial enthusiasm. Ultimately what matters is he bought a Scream bass and the instrument/experience treated him right and he was good enough to share that with us. :)

As I said before, feel free to pick up this topic further in the Leftorium if anyone likes, I think what's being said is definitely interesting, it just needs to be said in the right place. Thanks!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]