LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:47 am

Post subject: Lakland Press Release
PostPosted: April 30th, 2010, 1:29 pm 

I took this from THIS POST over at TalkBass... no more Dan Lakin... crazy.

:shock:

Quote:
Press Release, For Immediate Release
April 30, 2010

CHICAGO, IL-USA. Pickup and electric guitar manufacturer Hanson Musical Instruments,LTD, announces that a group, led by itself, has purchased the globally respected bass guitar brand Lakland Basses of Chicago. Former Lakland executive John Pirruccello has been named President of the newly formed Lakland Guitars, LLC, and will be responsible for managing the company's daily operations and future development effective immediately. John assumes these duties in addition to his position as head of the Hanson Musical Instruments guitar division.

Pirruccello's background includes 11 years at Lakland as Global Sales Director as well as the company's Chief Operations Officer. He contributed greatly to the development of current Lakland products, including the "Skyline Series" line of bass guitars; and was responsible for expanding Lakland's dealer and distribution network around the world. “JP” is also a prominent Chicago musician that has performed, recorded and or collaborated with the likes of Keith Richards, Staind, Alejandro Escovedo, Wilco, and others. John will oversee the seamless transition at Lakland's present facilities in Chicago. Lakland Guitars, LLC is retaining current luthiers and support staff.

Hanson Musical Instruments wants to thank Lakland founder Dan Lakin for his vision and stewardship of the Lakland brand, which he founded in 1994 with Hugh McFarland.

Hanson Musical Instruments has been Lakland's primary supplier of bass pickups and preamp products since 2005. The principals of Hanson Musical Instruments, LTD were previously shareholders of Lakland from 2000 until 2009.

Lakland is a manufacturer of high quality bass guitars and accessories.

Hanson Musical Instruments is a manufacturer of professional electric guitars and of electric guitar and bass pickups and electronics.

Websites: http://www.hansonguitars.com and http://www.hansonpickups.com

Bo Pirruccello, President
Hanson Musical Instruments, LTD
2044 N Dominick St.
Chicago, IL 60614
bo@hansonguitars.com (847) 207-7680

John Pirruccello
President, Lakland Guitars, LLC
2044 N Dominick St.
Chicago, IL 60614
jp@hansonguitars.com (773) 251-9684

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Post subject: Re: Lakland Press Release
PostPosted: April 30th, 2010, 2:34 pm 

Here's hoping Dan raked in a small fortune by getting bought out, instead of the nastier alternative of getting forced out ( which I doubt happened ).
I first met Dan around 1990 when I moved to Chicago and he was selling used basses from his bedroom in the burbs and at local guitar shows.

Unless he has some over-riding reason preventing him from doing business, I cannot see him being out of the market for very long at all.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2010, 2:56 pm 

so the market now will have

- pre-CBS Fenders

and

- pre-HMI Laklands

time to snag those instruments you find on sale and that include all of the case candy

R

PostPosted: April 30th, 2010, 5:22 pm 

Who knows, maybe a change of the guard will result in lefty offerings for a change. ;)

PostPosted: May 1st, 2010, 9:02 am 

Unless he was forced to sign a non-compete for a number of years...

pete

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2010, 9:54 am 

That thread has since been closed. I was also following it from the first post and knew about this rumor at NAMM 2010. Well, it was true.

There were a lot of positives and negatives in that thread.... mostly the quality control issues. I totally agree with the quality control but can say the lefty Lakland I owned had none of those issues I have seen from close friends that are Lakland owners. Maybe they did better work on the leftys. :) Hopefully Hanson has better quality control for future Lakland/Hanson basses.

As far as collectors item, I doubt a Lakland will ever be a "collector" like an old Fender and worth lots of $$ later in the years. But again thats just my opinion. There are so many basses out there and builders. In the Jazz bass realm, I believe Mike Lull's basses are as as good/better than any Lakland bass out there. His craftsmanship, service and knowledge stands far up the totem pole from any luthier I have ever known. He is a stand up guy and can fix/modify anything and will take full responsibility for any issue on his basses. Oh, and Roscoe guitars is also second to none "Totally Different Player". What you get in the end results is 9.9/10 perfect. I dont believe anything is 10/10 because there will always be some craftsman flaw somewhere but they get the closest... AND Gard is the BEST General Manager ever!! <-- I think Addison might back me up here... There are a lot of great builders out there but to find the ones that will back up their work without a bunch of complaints or excuses...... :mrgreen: and having to wait 1 to 2 years for the lefty completion date... no thank you..... NEVER AGAIN!!!

Just my 2 cents here.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 7:26 am 

gravesbass wrote:
As far as collectors item, I doubt a Lakland will ever be a "collector" like an old Fender and worth lots of $$ later in the years.

I can maybe see that being true for their "Fender Copies," but I think the USA "94" series of basses have a lot of collector potential... especially since they're now one of the few non Leo Fender designs accepted in the NY, LA, and Nashville recording scene.

gravesbass wrote:
Oh, and Roscoe guitars is also second to none "Totally Different Player". What you get in the end results is 9.9/10 perfect. I dont believe anything is 10/10 because there will always be some craftsman flaw somewhere but they get the closest... AND Gard is the BEST General Manager ever!! <-- I think Addison might back me up here...

100%... yeah, Gard rules. The whole company obviously gives a shit and have a passion for making a difference in the industry and that really shows.

And the irony is that, for whatever reason, I don't really feel like they get the credit they deserve.

Now bring on the SKB3006SC (single cut)!!! :lol:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 4:55 pm 

Addison wrote:
Now bring on the SKB3006SC (single cut)!!! :lol:

What.. you don't have a proto yet? bummer Addison... j/k That might never happen but keep on them.. the more hits, the chance it will happen. :D