LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 8:09 am

Post subject: modern singlecut
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2010, 10:02 pm 

ok so i didnt put this in the wanted section because its not someting i want to get immediatly this is just a post to get ideas i wont be making a purchase for another year to year and a half. as some of you guys know, i have only owned one bass for almost the last ten years and after thinking about it long and hard i belive my next bass should be a big deal (for me that is)and i decided my next bass is gonna be a custom made modern single cut bass i already know the features i want

-6 string
-24 fret
-34" or 33" inch scale (played mike bendy's fodera 2 years ago it had a 33" inch scale neck that played beautifully)
-stacked humbuckers
-18 volt 3 band eq with a push pull knob to select mid
-active/passive switch
-series/parellel/coil tap switch for each pickup
-if it was in my price range, a nice exotic top with matching pickup covers and knobs but its not something that im gonna look to seriously at
I basically will be looking to spend somewhere around $3,500 and i was wondering if you guys can provide suggestions for companys and possibly eqs and pickups and what not

Post subject: Re: modern singlecut
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2010, 10:18 pm 

I like Sukop's single cut. There's a pic of a 5 string single cut about halfway down the page in the NAMM thread.
http://www.leftybassist.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1343&start=0

I don't know if he's built single cuts, but a Wyn bass with all the features you are looking for would come in at about the price you're looking for. http://www.wynguitars.com/ Here's a shameless plug. My bass is featured in the News section :-)

As far as pup and preamp choices, it all depends on what kind of sound you are aiming for IMO.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2010, 7:18 am 

Yeah, the Sukop stuff is SOOOOO nice, but their headstocks... ugh... such an awful design, IMO, and that just ruins it for me.

Anyway, Elrick might be another option. I am literally IN LOVE with their basses... and I've been gassing hard for one for some time now.

Their Platinum E-Volution single-cuts are INSANE... and I know they do a lot of custom build requests, so they could probably handle your 33" scale request. I'm not 100% on that, but you could always ask.

Anyway... I go to their website every couple of days and get all tingly looking at this beautiful creature...

ImageImage

The buckeye burl on that thing is I-N-S-A-N-E... it looks like the surface of the moon.

WANT.

*drool*

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2010, 12:20 pm 

preamp wise i want one that will retain the passive tone of the pickups when the knobs are set flat, pickup wise i want something that can straddle the line between vintage and modern, without going fully into either one

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2010, 7:53 pm 

that Elrick is just too much!! wow!!!

Another great single cut builder is Benavente. Well, i don't know how great they really are as I have never played one, but folks do see do like them!

i can't really make any more recommendations on the electronics you're looking for as i haven't experimented with anything that's been put on the market the last 5 or so years.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2010, 4:14 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
Another great single cut builder is Benavente. Well, i don't know how great they really are as I have never played one, but folks do see do like them!

That's exactly what I was going to say :)
I especially like the look of their SCB and SCD shape.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2010, 1:14 pm 

I checked out a few Elricks at BassNW a couple of years ago, Wow!

PostPosted: April 26th, 2010, 3:26 pm 

those elrick basses are amazing looking, sadly they are almost twice the amount im looking to spend

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 4:38 am 

Have you checked Alan Cringean's stuff? AC Guitars from Scotland. There was a really nice 6 string single cut for sale on here a while back and it wasn't too brutally expensive. I like the shape and his electronics seem really interesting. Filter based EQ.

Heres a righty: http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/209/

Attachments:
img_2229.jpg
img_2229.jpg [ 23.52 KiB | Viewed 6520 times ]
img_2224.jpg
img_2224.jpg [ 25.96 KiB | Viewed 6519 times ]
PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 4:54 am 

If you're thinking UK makers, you could check out SeiBass or Shuker. I have one of each and they are both very fine instruments. Will post some pics if you want me to (they're actually doublecut headless 5's, but you'll get some idea of the build quality). SeiBass might be a little out of your price range but Shuker should be right in the ballpark.

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 6:23 am 

Here's the original gallery link for the lefty:

http://www.acguitars.co.uk/Gallery/122/

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 6:55 am 

frankenjazz wrote:
those elrick basses are amazing looking, sadly they are almost twice the amount im looking to spend

Are you looking at MSRP or "Street Price"?

Depending on options, etc, they seem to sell for around $3500-$4500 which is pretty close to where you said your budget was.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 7:57 am 

leftybassman392 wrote:
If you're thinking UK makers, you could check out SeiBass or Shuker. I have one of each and they are both very fine instruments. Will post some pics if you want me to (they're actually doublecut headless 5's, but you'll get some idea of the build quality). SeiBass might be a little out of your price range but Shuker should be right in the ballpark.

Sei's are really fine basses. I checked out a couple of righty's that were in a local shop. Build quality is right up there with the best IMHO.

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 8:27 am 

Addison wrote:
frankenjazz wrote:

Are you looking at MSRP or "Street Price"?

Depending on options, etc, they seem to sell for around $3500-$4500 which is pretty close to where you said your budget was.

i didnt realize their street price was so low, i was just looking at what it said on their website on the price list.

wow you guys are being super helpful youre giving me alot to think about while i save the money for it, hopefully by the time i have the money, ill be able to narrow the list of builders you guys gave me lol

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 9:55 am 

No problem man!

Yeah... check out Bass Central just to give you an idea... they have the "sale" price listed for a lot of their Elrick basses.

I can't recommend them as a dealer since I have no experience with them... but, they do have some pretty good eye candy on their site (even though the site was constructed horribly and NEVER gets updated).

Take a look at the lefty Elrick 6'er that was sold... WOW!!! :shock:

PostPosted: April 28th, 2010, 11:10 am 

I like the look of the Nordstrand singlecut bodyshape too: