LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:26 am

Post subject: Southpaw Friendly?
PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 1:36 pm 

What companies out there would you consider to be southpaw friendly...and which ones are not?

SOUTHPAW FRIENDLY MANUFACTURERS(links):
Schecter Guitars
Carvin Guitars
Ernie Ball Guitars

SOUTHPAW FRIENDLY DEALERS(links):
adirondack
Buffalo Bros
Subway Guitars
Southpaw Guitars

Last edited by baalroo on April 11th, 2008, 12:55 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Southpaw Friendly?
PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 4:30 pm 

In terms of manufacturing basses or in terms of offering lefty basses for sale?

For manufacturing basses, I would say Schecter.

I would have to say this because they offer most of their models left handed (even if they only offer one available color). They offer their beginner basses all the way up to their more expensive basses (think intermediate) left handed. You could say Carvin is lefty-friendly too, because they do not upcharge to build a bass lefty. I wanted to start a thread similiar to this one, naming all of the brands that offer at least ONE model of their bass left handed (and maybe offer a link or something to the manufacturers website or a dealer that sells that/those particular model(s).

As far as offering lefty basses for sale, a lot of internet companies out there offer at least a decent selection of left-handed basses. Musicians Friend and Sam Ash come to mind. My pick for offering lefty basses would probably have to be http://www.adirondackguitar.com. That is where I ordered my lefty Traben Array 5 string bass, the ONLY place I could find that offers that bass left-handed. I emailed Traben asking them which basses of theirs they offer left handed and Adirondack carries both models (I think Traben should offer more of their models lefty). Guitar Center doesn't offer shit for lefties, which to me is ridiculous. With as many companies out there that make lefty basses, GC could at least stock more than 2 Ibanez models and 1 Fender model of bass (all of which are basically beginners basses anyways).

While we're on this topic though, I'd really like to mention that I find it pretty lame that Fender does not offer their non-American P-basses in left handed...for some reason that doesn't make sense. I would love to be able to try a lefty MIM/MIJ/MIWherever Fender that is NOT a Jazz bass and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg (like some would consider the American made ones). Also, I don't like companies that refuse to offer ANY of their models left-handed. I've scoured the internet looking for basses from damn near every "major" guitar/bass company to see what everyone had to offer and its sad that so few models are offered lefty (production models, I'm not talking this custom shop stuff...). If I was made of money I wouldn't really be bitching about this because I'd just get all my basses custom anyways...ah, I can't wait to win the lottery. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 5:02 pm 

manufacturing AND sale... I figured it would be useful to have a thread with some links for all the best places to check out for lefty gear.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 7:55 pm 

SubsonicAssault wrote:
While we're on this topic though, I'd really like to mention that I find it pretty lame that Fender does not offer their non-American P-basses in left handed...for some reason that doesn't make sense. I would love to be able to try a lefty MIM/MIJ/MIWherever Fender that is NOT a Jazz bass and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg (like some would consider the American made ones). Also, I don't like companies that refuse to offer ANY of their models left-handed. I've scoured the internet looking for basses from damn near every "major" guitar/bass company to see what everyone had to offer and its sad that so few models are offered lefty (production models, I'm not talking this custom shop stuff...). If I was made of money I wouldn't really be bitching about this because I'd just get all my basses custom anyways...ah, I can't wait to win the lottery. :mrgreen:

Not sure what you mean here, Subsonic. I see plenty of MIM and MIJ Js and Ps out there. Fender still makes them, though most of the better MIJ options are available in Japan only.

+ on Schecter. I'll also throw in Ernie Ball. They don't make many varieties of basses and not every option is available (i.e. 2 PUP Rays or Sterlings), but you can get lefties of all 3 available bass models (Stingray, Sterling, and Bongo).

PostPosted: April 10th, 2008, 9:04 pm 

I haven't seen a lefty P-Bass that isn't American made offered here in America. I would like to try a P-Bass for less than 1150.00 just to see if I would actually like to own the American version. Thats what I meant. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 12:57 pm 

great input, I've updated the first post.

what else?

PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 1:01 pm 

Gibson. :roll:

PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 1:38 pm 

I don't qualify? :cry:

:P

all the best,

R

PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Given all you do around here, Skuttlefunk Basses couldn't be any more southpaw friendly Rod!

:D

PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 4:01 pm 

Of course you count Rod, gimmie the proper links and I'll put you at the top'o the list.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 6:15 pm 

sorry - no homepage links at the moment. I pulled my webpage until I am relocated and set-up and ready to once again turn expensive wood into inexpensive heating material :oops:

just yankin' your chain baalroo :lol:

p.s. next time I'm in Wichita visiting the lazy B (or one of those units they sold off), I'll drop you a PM to see if you're playing anywhere local that week

all the best,

R

PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 4:51 am 

Warwick has to get a mention here, and there is no surcharge for there lefties

Warwick Corvette 4 (active)
Hartke 3500
Hartke VX410
Roland CB30
Boss GT6B