LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 5:47 am

Post subject: Form "foam" Fitted Cases for Lefties Cheep!
PostPosted: February 28th, 2010, 11:32 pm 

So recently in the past year I bought a couple nice basses without cases. I found a deal on Musician’s Friend a few months ago for some cases from Gator. They are really nice but being a cookie cutter one size fits all the area for the body is wide open to accommodate anything. Well the basses I bought are Warwicks and a Spector with smaller and “lefty” body shapes so there is much flapping about inside the case when carrying the basses around. This has been eating a hole in my brain. I hate stuff like this.
Now I am a freak when I have to figure something like this out. I like the custom fitted cases but they are expensive and heavy. I don’t use the cases to go to gigs or practice I use a killer padded gig bag but I store my basses in the cases and they get moved around and brought up and down the stairs depending on who I want to take to the bedroom. Also if I move one on the Bay or have to ship I like them snug. Anyway after much thought about foam products I came to a decision that I’m pretty happy with and I thought I would share it. As I wish I saw a thread like this 6 months ago. :cry:
The first thought was for memory foam but it is heavy as water almost and I didn’t want to add a bunch of weight. Egg crate foam is ok but not sturdy enough. Cheep foam won’t hold its shape so I found the perfect combination and this was my result. 3” high density foam from a fabric store. I bought 6 feet for 80 bucks enough to easily do three cases. I thought maybe someone else here has struggled with buying an aftermarket cases being a lefty so I thought I would share my plight. Takes about a month for a moron like me to figure out but only about 10 minute to cut. I cut it all the way through where the body is and only half way for the headstock and neck areas. So O.K. it's a little rigged but it works great and the stuff stays in the case and doesn't fly out when I pull my basses out. :D
Yes I know the black marker line stil visible looks el crappo I will trim it later.

My daughter just saw me taking the pics and offered to cover it with black fabric. That would be cool too.

Attachments:
P1000342.JPG
P1000342.JPG [ 109.94 KiB | Viewed 8412 times ]
P1000340.JPG
P1000340.JPG [ 86.24 KiB | Viewed 8409 times ]
P1000343.JPG
P1000343.JPG [ 86.85 KiB | Viewed 8413 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Form "foam" Fitted Cases for Lefties Cheep!
PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 8:46 am 

Great solution. Not crazy about the aesthetic look of turquoise foam, but I suppose you could find the stuff in dull cream as well. ;^). I've thought about as well but never got around to researching cost-effective foam. I thought about the stuff they ship in SKB cases, but it's super expensive.

The best/simplest solution I've seen yet on a stock instrument (though not nearly as customized as your solution) is what Alembic does with their padded case which shipped with my Epic. It's an ambidextrous case with these simple curved, padded removable inserts that can be placed on either side of a righty or lefty bass to conform to the contours and keep it snug in place. So simple a solution that I'm surprised other companies haven't considered it. They do have a tendency to roll out when you remove the bass, but I fixed that by affixing double stick velcro to the inserts and inner lining of the case.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 10:18 am 

How will a nitro-finished bass respond to this stuff?

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 10:34 am 

Jeroen wrote:

Was gonna ask the same question- you gotta make sure you know and be wary of what's in the chemical base of foams, as some can definitely eat into things if left in contact for extended periods...after a few months you could open your case to an unpleasant surprise.... :shock:

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 1:48 pm 

You guys are right about stuff like this. It's made out of petrolium and gives of a gas as it breaks down most likely. I think I'll have my daughter get some thin soft t-shirt type material and cover it. Black most likely and that will take care of the look and the possibilty of a "surprise".

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 2:11 pm 

Carmine wrote:
Jeroen wrote:

Was gonna ask the same question- you gotta make sure you know and be wary of what's in the chemical base of foams, as some can definitely eat into things if left in contact for extended periods...after a few months you could open your case to an unpleasant surprise.... :shock:

+1,000

Thin t-shirt material won't do it as far as slowing down the release of the gasses. Heavy denier velvet or demin helps but is not a cure-all. Also, the case will need to be aired out on a regular basis.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 2:58 pm 

Oh fug, this is turning out to be a buzz kill. I mean I do appreciate the heads up but I guess me didn't think this out enough. Why are there not problems with other cases? In fact I see many 200 - 300 $$ custom cases with exposed foam just like what I have...I guess it's got to be the right stuff?? :oops:

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 3:16 pm 

Exactly. I don't know what's in guitar case foam, but it is made of the correct type of foam.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 3:42 pm 

Anyone know what it is?????

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 4:10 pm 

When in doubt, call professionals: http://www.rockhardcases.com
Rock Hard Road Cases Inc. PO Box 1567 Albany OR 97321 Toll Free: 800.574.2305

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 4:31 pm 

Thanks Carmine a good idea it was...I spoke with Mark and he said they use polyester and it does not react with finishes at all. I'll have to call the place where I bought the blue stuff and ask what it's made of..

I called them and they said it was "made of foam" holly molly Bat Man mental giants at Jo-Ann Fabrics!!! I guess chickens are made of birds. :?

Looks like I am going to keep an eye on it. My cases don't stay closed long anyway I like variety.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 7:25 pm 

thumbslam wrote:
... holly molly Bat Man mental giants at Jo-Ann Fabrics!!! I guess chickens are made of birds. :? ...

No doubt they'd be wonderful resource if you wanted to quilt a case for your bass.

In the end, your foam is probably ok. IIRC it's the same type of foam they use for mattress padding, correct? I'd doubt the FDA would let them sell toxic foam .... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha .... right ... it's imported from Cina isn't it?!?!?!?

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 9:00 pm 

They suggested the quilt but I heard it will make your bass smell of chicken gravy or ham loaf. Please don’t ask me what ham loaf is let’s just said it’s real and real bad! I’m in Amish country and don’t laugh they sell more drugs and grow more weed than anyone!
Anyway I am curious about the “blue stuff” I would bet too from china but I am going to try and dig deeper. I felt my manhood dwindling away in the line at Jo-Ann Fabrics waiting to pay for my blue foam that kept flopping over like a you know what!!! :roll:

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 9:13 pm 

thumbslam wrote:
They suggested the quilt but I heard it will make your bass smell of chicken gravy or ham loaf. Please don’t ask me what ham loaf is let’s just said it’s real and real bad! I’m in Amish country and don’t laugh they sell more drugs and grow more weed than anyone!
Anyway I am curious about the “blue stuff” I would bet too from china but I am going to try and dig deeper. I felt my manhood dwindling away in the line at Jo-Ann Fabrics waiting to pay for my blue foam that kept flopping over like a you know what!!! :roll:

I bet if that Jo-Ann Fabrics was deep in the heart of Amish territory let wouldn't give you time to let things flop around. rumor has it they are very short on male bassists.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 10:29 pm 

Well so far it's been a couple of days and eveything looks normal.

Attachments:
P1000342.JPG
P1000342.JPG [ 109.82 KiB | Viewed 8262 times ]
PostPosted: March 1st, 2010, 10:53 pm 

Your bass looks like that after a couple days?...if you keep messing with that foam by the end of the week you're gonna look just like the guy in your avatar :lol: