LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:33 am

Post subject: New Player - Tips/Resources
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 8:03 am 

Hi fellow lefties!

So I've been thinking at learning the guitar (bass specically) for awhile now, but I've had trouble finding cheap guitars to start on. The one it looks like I'll be getting is Squier by Fender Standard P Bass Special (link), used for $200 CAD.

Anyway I've been looking around for possible learning materials to use, and came across this sweet little niche of a forum. Must say I'm quite surprised something like this even exists considering the amount of left-handed bassist players I imagine even exist.

I was wondering if/what other people may have for websites, videos, books and such to help with learning lefty-bass, or even some righty-bass learning materials that are nice (since I assume lefty-bass learning materials are also scarce)

Thanks a lot :)
-Sky

Post subject: Re: New Player - Tips/Resources
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 8:22 am 

Hi Sky!

I'll probably be attacked by some (or most) people here for saying this, but... if you're literally just starting out like you say you are, I think you should learn to play right-handed.

It may not "feel" right at first, but when you're first starting out, pretty much nothing feels right. In a month or two, that feeling you have will go away if you practice a lot.

Several people told me the same exact thing when I was starting out, and I didn't listen... looking back, I think it's probably the biggest mistake I made.

If you play right-handed, you'll be able to walk into every music store in the country and play EVERY instrument hanging on the walls... you'll save yourself LOTS of time and money, you'll never pay for special fees or surcharges, you'll never have to "search" for a bass or be disappointed when you find out that a bass you love isn't available left-handed, and you'll be able to sit-in at jam sessions if you don't have your own instrument with you.

AND if you stick with it and learn to love it, you'll actually be able to TRY really expensive boutique instruments before you pay for them, unlike me, who has had to special order every high end instrument I've ever owned with hopes that I would love it... a few times I wasn't so lucky.

So... that's my advice to you... take it for what it's worth.

Either way, welcome to the forum!!!

:ugeek:

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 8:56 am 

I've tried that a bit with a guitar and I think it's to late for trying right-handed (to much lefty guitar hero lol), so holding the guitar right-handed doesn't feel comfortable at all. And I figure if I'm going to learn I should learn the best way I feel comfortable that way there is less of a chance of me giving up and quitting. Not to mention I like to embrace my lefty-ness even thought it's a pain :P

But thanks for the tips. I have considered it, but I just don't think I could do it.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 9:49 pm 

I don't really agree with the "just play righty" advice UNLESS righty and lefty both feel equally comfortable starting out. Be aware there are many drawbacks when it comes to gear, it's fairly difficult to get ahold of lefty basses. Personally though I like the fact that the availablity is limited, it forces me to focus on my playing rather than the instrument I'm playing on. I logistically CANT become a gear snob!

PostPosted: February 4th, 2010, 6:16 am 

Well, playing righties is somekind good for the one who don't know wheter he love/like bass or not. However, You should play with the feeling of comfort and confident no matter which side the head of bass is pointed to. I think playing lefties does not make any musical difference compared to the righties.

For the issue of availability, I must say that American and Canadian lefty bassists are absolutely luckier than Thai lefties. If you want to buy a lefty bass, you just go online (eg. musiciansfriend etc.) and see the real picture of lefties bass (not the picture you look from the mirror) ,put in the cart, pay online and the lefty is delivered to your home. Or you may have a music store that sell lefties, you can just go,sit and spend time trying the lefties as long as you want.

In the other hand, if I want to but a lefty one, I have to try the flipped-over righties to check the sound and ask the dealer for left-handed availability and its available color(like imagine that I play lefty bass with this sound, this pre-specified color). Finally, I must sign an import order and wait for 3 month at least.

The worst case of all is custom lefty. I have to imagine every detail of the bass including the sound of it. Paying money without anything guarantee that I get what I want.

All the Teaching Material, you have to look it in the mirror. I'm not sure if there is a source for the lefties.

Just play with your comfort and confident. Wish you get the solution.

Regard,
Pon