LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 11th, 2024, 1:21 pm

Post subject: Could Warwick have won me back?!?
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 4:17 pm 

Anyone seen these yet?

The Thumb SC (Click for link to Warwick Site)

:shock:

All I can say is WOW.

It's available in a 5 broadneck and 6 only at this time... it's available lefty at NO EXTRA CHARGE.

I used to have a Thumb 5 NT, and battled with that thing for several years before I finally HAD to get rid of it. It was a love hate thing... I LOVED how it sounded, played, and looked... but it had HORRIBLE neck dive, and there were a few other lame things about it that bothered me (There were several "righty" parts used on it, it had an older just-a-nut, it was before the easy access control plate cover, it had some high frets, etc).

But this... THIS.... this I think I could handle. MAN, she's a beauty... but with an $7500-$8000 MSRP, it's probably going to be a LONG time before I could ever get my hands on one of those. :lol:

But yeah... very, VERY pretty bass.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

Post subject: Re: Could Warwick have won me back?!?
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 5:00 pm 

thats defintely a beauty, i love all these single cut designs coming out, it looks like fodera started a trend and im happening to dig it, the only down side is the price, all these single cut designs are just priced so high its kind of off putting,but regardless i agree with you, i want it.

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 5:37 pm 

I have owned several Warwicks in the past and I currently own 2 and my Corvette Jazzman 5’r is my main bass. They have gone through many changes over the years and I say for the better.
My first expensive bass I ever bought was an older Corvette Jazzman “98” and I had major issues with the neck. The truss rod was completely frozen when I had my tech set it up for me and I had to have another neck made for me. I bought it new so it was free but none the less a huge ass pain. I owned a “Rockbass” what a turd that was. Anyway that was years ago and I have since bought and sold countless high end basses. Spectors, Roscoe, Lakland, Wal, G&L, MusicMan, MTD and older Warwicks and so on and so on. Now after 10 or so years I’m back to Warwick again. Not exclusively but for the most part 80%.
We have a guy that does our sound and records for us and works in super high end audio and theater installation and programming. I was bitching about not finding a good tone and he said about 6 months ago why the hell you ever get rid of the Jazzman before that was the best bass tone I ever heard. Well I went and bought 2 more and I am so glad I did.
The old USA broker was Danna B. Good and well let’s says the broker can have a huge influence on a company and help and direct them to what the current market is looking for. Well that relationship is now over. The current broker is Hanser House and these guys have been instrumental from what I’m told for some real huge steps forward by the company.
I learned for one thing you must learn how to take care of a Warwick properly they are temperamental but just like a Ferrari when fine tuned they are unbelievable performers. For instance the older necks were so substantial and solid to adjust the neck without damage you had to bend the neck back first by hand and then turn the rod, now I also shoot a few drops of WD-40 down the truss rod compartment to make sure it is lubricated as well. So there are many little things about them like the super adjustable bridge, unfinished wood surfaces, brass frets etc...I like tight string spacing so the standard 17 mm is fine with me but also available in 19 mm or it might even be 20 mm on the broadneck models. But now the neck I just got was thinner than any other 5 string bass I have ever played or owned and they have a reputation as baseball bat necks. I asked for the new thin profile whith the new one and it is amazing. I have found I like the tone of basses without a heavy clear coat. The matte or unfinished body and neck feel better to me and have a more organic warm thick sound and tone. Warwick transfers the tone of the wood itself more so than any other bass I ever heard period. The current build quality is incredible look at who is playing them now. Super deep tone and tight B string at 34” is awesome too.
Check out their website and look in the custom area and all the options. What other companies of that size PLEK all the basses (German models) and offer so many different pickup and preamp configurations and neck styles and string width. You can order with Bart’s, EMGs, their own it’s just awesome. Forget what your old experience is with them and check out a newer one if you have a chance. One of the issues most people have with them is the neck dive of the Thumb basses they don’t make the bolt on 5 or 6 string ones anymore because of that and the new model pictured above looks awesome. Also I know for me I have not bought one of their better more expensive models. I want a Streamer 5 string so bad but it’s over 4K but then you would really hear and see what they can do. Anyway there are more options for lefties now than there ever has been and that is cool. YES WARWICK does not discriminate against us lefties either another reason I love them. No up charge for us southpaws. No Fender 5 string USA models unless it’s a 5K custom shop. I will never play Fender as long as I live for that reason alone.

Not the best way to tune your bass in world to have the owner of the company stand on your bass like that but the article said when he got off the bass to prove his point about the strength of the necks it went right back into shape and I guy played itand it was still in tune and played killer. Hans is pretty tubby too.

Attachments:
germa031.jpg
germa031.jpg [ 51.92 KiB | Viewed 10146 times ]
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 8:37 pm 

That's a crazy picture!!!

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2010, 8:43 pm 

He's got good balance for being such an old f@rt!!! ;)

All joking aside, I did not see this at NAMM. Was it there?

Killer top BTW.

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 12:57 am 

Was supposed to be...I'm east coast. Like the one Adam is playing too.

Attachments:
Stryker-2_blk_chkn-hd_knobs.jpg
Stryker-2_blk_chkn-hd_knobs.jpg [ 31.5 KiB | Viewed 10097 times ]
3rdprize.jpg
3rdprize.jpg [ 52.3 KiB | Viewed 10098 times ]
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 4:56 am 

I loove that SC, but im astounded by that, hmm muddy(?), effect with the woods in TS's post above..

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 8:27 am 

Nilezd wrote:
I loove that SC, but im astounded by that, hmm muddy(?), effect with the woods in TS's post above..

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that is the concept art for the Thumb SC... IIRC, the Thumb SC was a design submitted by a member of the Warwick message board.

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2010, 5:21 pm 

you are correct Addison. Was as concept...

PostPosted: February 4th, 2010, 10:41 am 

according to my brother in law who works at G.C he says that a warwick rep came in to discuss the 2010 line and said a version of the SC will be avaliable in all the price ranges by the end of spring and they are still hammering out the models for the chinese and korean lines. im not 100% percent on that but just passing along some info

PostPosted: April 30th, 2010, 9:15 am 

Finally get to see a picture of one of these in the flesh, courtesy of Atlanta Bass Gallery... it's a righty, but you get the idea.

ImageImage

Looks like the final "look" changed from the original prototype pics I posted, but... it still looks pretty sweet.

Wonder how it sounds... hmmm...

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2010, 12:27 pm 

something about it seems odd, maybe its the two woods used for the upper horn it seems visually unbalanced if that makes any sense, still beautiful though

PostPosted: May 4th, 2010, 10:18 am 

Very cool, but I bet it costs a small fortune. It will be interesting to see what they do with the lower priced versions.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 3:42 pm 

Warwick's no longer making basses in Germany; they're moving production to Korea, so maybe the prices will go down a bit. Then again, maybe not.

I've never been a fan of Warwicks or single cuts, so it really doesn't matter to me :mrgreen:

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 4:22 pm 

The one Warwick I'm curious about is the upcoming Rockbass version of the Alien acoustic bass. Anyone know when they'll be available?

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 5:29 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
The one Warwick I'm curious about is the upcoming Rockbass version of the Alien acoustic bass. Anyone know when they'll be available?

That's funny, I was just inquiring on them. The only one I know of, that is going to be available is the more expensive one (2k+ish). I am getting mixed info on the standard and deluxe version for lefty availability. I hear no on standard but yes on deluxe. Need to research more..... I would rather have the Deluxe version but it's $800 more. I want the 5 string fretted version.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 11:09 pm 

danomite64 wrote:
Warwick's no longer making basses in Germany; they're moving production to Korea

Where did you get this info? Are you sure? Because I think only the affordable Pro Series (formerly known as the Corvette Standard and Streamer Standard) will be Korean-made from now on. The Alien already is made in Vietnam for some time. And the Rockbass line of instruments is and has always been made in China.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 6:18 am 

There's a thread on Talkbass talking about it. According to that thread, it was supposedly posted on the Warwick site that everything MIG would be MIK, but when I looked, I didn't find anything except the Pro Series being MIK.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2010, 4:50 pm 

frankenjazz wrote:
thats defintely a beauty, i love all these single cut designs coming out, it looks like fodera started a trend and im happening to dig it, the only down side is the price, all these single cut designs are just priced so high its kind of off putting,but regardless i agree with you, i want it.

Speaking of affordable single cuts- go check out my new post on the Spear thread...

Attachments:
Spear SB2 all6.jpg
Spear SB2 all6.jpg [ 238.44 KiB | Viewed 9632 times ]
Spear SB2 all.jpg
Spear SB2 all.jpg [ 235.02 KiB | Viewed 9634 times ]
PostPosted: May 24th, 2010, 5:34 pm 

Warwick is not moving its home bass anywhere from what I’m told. They are in fact following suit to some of the biggest bass manufactures like Fender and Spector etc. Creating products at three to four tiers of price points is a move that keeps companies in business. Large companies like Warwick have many mouths to feed and need to sell many units to remain profitable and in the forefront.
The really cheap stuff in China, one level up in Vietnam, another level up in Korea and finally the top tier in Germany. This will make Warwick able to charge what they need to keep the quality control high in the German models and yet accessible to the masses. Car companies and many instrument manufactures take advantage of the cheaper but yet highly skilled instrument manufactures in the eastern countries. They have been producing most of the world’s stringed instruments from violins to pianos for a long time and almost everything else for that matter. Yes corners are cut as well to keep costs down like quality of woods, electronics and some fit and finish of course but to survive and prosper in this economy you need to appeal to as many as possible.
People are so fickle sometimes, I have read the Warwick blog and some of the same people that complain Warwick’s are too expensive but want one are given the opportunity to buy a high quality Korean line and complain about cheapo products and watering down the name. You can’t please everyone all the time no matter how hard you try.
One month ago I ordered a Korean Corvette Pro bubinga 6 string lefty with chrome hardware. The rep from Hanser House said they have only produced a few test basses for promotional purposes so far and as far as the rep knows my order is the first lefty 6 string ever ordered. Maybe the first lefty period. I was told 90 to 120 days so it’s going to be a while….I’ll post some pics when I get it. Will be number 5 Warwick for me. My friend that owns the music store where I ordered the bass is good friends with the rep and I asked the same questions about Warwick and I am a big fan and was very concerned as well. I’m holding on to my German bass just the same though.