LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 1st, 2024, 12:31 pm

Post subject: NAMM
PostPosted: December 24th, 2009, 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone,
So NAMM is happening again soon in mid January, and this year we will be fortunate to have a few of us leftybassist folks attending. As far as I know, this will be the first time we'll have someone at NAMM specifically after pics and info on lefty basses (and in my case lefty amps ;) ).

So, if there is a particular company or bass you are curious about, please start your wishlist in this thread. We'll be short on time, so I can't guarantee we'll be able to see everything, but we'll try, so let's see what new goodies people are looking forward to.

Post subject: Re: NAMM
PostPosted: December 24th, 2009, 12:05 pm 

I'll be there on the lookout for (amongst other things) parts suppliers offering true lefty parts

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 24th, 2009, 3:20 pm 

TC Electronic RH450 please. I'm pretty sure it's a lefty amp 'cos the grab handle is obviously meant to be picked up with your left hand - check it for yourself:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/RH450.asp
;)

Later edit: I know it's not new (although there is a new variant), but all the same...

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

Last edited by leftybassman392 on December 25th, 2009, 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2009, 7:35 am 

I am very curious about the new Darryl Jones signature bass by A Basses, and I'm very anxious to see whether there will be a lefty version, as Läkland never offered one of their Skyline version. I believe the USA version was available lefthanded on special order but I don't think there are any in existance.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2009, 2:36 am 

Make sure to wear your "Fuck Gibson" shirt and go to their table and ask if they are ever gonna make some damn lefties.

PostPosted: December 27th, 2009, 9:14 am 
Site Admin

reynoldbot wrote:
Make sure to wear your "Fuck Gibson" shirt and go to their table and ask if they are ever gonna make some damn lefties.

Hah, the trick there though is Gibson don't have a table, they have a compound made of curtains and you need an additional pass to actually access their guitars. You can't even see the instruments from afar. :?

Gibson's "booth" is designed to disallow the common attendant to complain. If you aren't already in their inner circle, you don't see them :roll:

Maybe this year will be different, they took a lot of flack this year, but they don't have a track record of hearing their critics thus far, so we'll see.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 11:39 am 

Holy moly they've thought of everything. That's almost cartoonishly snobby.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 12:40 pm 

Here's a leaked photo of Gibson's 2010 NAMM booth...

F Bass BN5 • ZON Legacy Elite 5 • ZON Sonus Elite 5 Fretless • ZON Sonus BG5 • Fender Custom Shop '64 NOS Jazz • Fender Custom Shop '75 NOS Jazz • Fender ADE Precision • Music Man SR4

PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 3:14 pm 

leftybassman392 wrote:
TC Electronic RH450 please. I'm pretty sure it's a lefty amp 'cos the grab handle is obviously meant to be picked up with your left hand ;)

I've got one of them - that's the exact reason I bought it! Check the other thread ;)

PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 4:38 pm 

i dont know if this is the place to post this but theres this builder here in jacksonville building awsome basses and under the name infinite metal werkz and there are none offically being sold right now except from a store called guitars unlimited that is the sole dealer until namm but the builder is craig gruber from rainbow and sabbath in the 80s if you go to the home page www.infinitemetalwerkz.com they have some of the prototypes i played the green one and the natural finish today, they were a blast to play, those tremolos are wild but yea if anyone would be so kind as to find out about them at namm (lefty options) that would be sweet, thanks

PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 5:31 pm 

frankenjazz wrote:
i dont know if this is the place to post this but theres this builder here in jacksonville building awsome basses and under the name infinite metal werkz and there are none offically being sold right now except from a store called guitars unlimited that is the sole dealer until namm but the builder is craig gruber from rainbow and sabbath in the 80s if you go to the home page http://www.infinitemetalwerkz.com they have some of the prototypes i played the green one and the natural finish today, they were a blast to play, those tremolos are wild but yea if anyone would be so kind as to find out about them at namm (lefty options) that would be sweet, thanks

I like the body shape of those. Would be a good doom metal bass. I don't like colors though - I prefer the natural finishes.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 8:26 pm 

yea the colors are to loud for my taste but they play like a dream, the necks are damn near perfect, sort of like a slimmer version of a p-bass neck, the owner of guitars unlimited said that one of his regulars compared the neck to that of the fodera victor wooten signature he owns . cant really comment on that but yea the preamp is pretty responsive, i dont really play much metal anymore but i can see myself getting one if it was avaliable as a lefty, tremelo bar and all

PostPosted: December 29th, 2009, 7:34 am 

frankenjazz wrote:
i dont know if this is the place to post this but theres this builder here in jacksonville building awsome basses and under the name infinite metal werkz and there are none offically being sold right now except from a store called guitars unlimited that is the sole dealer until namm but the builder is craig gruber from rainbow and sabbath in the 80s if you go to the home page http://www.infinitemetalwerkz.com they have some of the prototypes i played the green one and the natural finish today, they were a blast to play, those tremolos are wild but yea if anyone would be so kind as to find out about them at namm (lefty options) that would be sweet, thanks

Winner of the run-on sentence of the week! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 29th, 2009, 8:37 am 

frankenjazz wrote:

$999.00 for a 4 stringer. Not a bad price for a custom made instrument, and I happen to like the finishes. But if he doesn't make lefties, then this thread needs to implode. ;)

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

So we managed to survive NAMM 2010. It was great to meet up with Peter, Marc, Rod, Hieg and Bill. We'll all start posting pics and info on lefty basses (and amps, pedals and players) in the next few days. A good amount of pics were taken and Peter did a great job talking with the different builders about what is and isn't available in lefty versions. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 8:41 pm 

I spent some time with Mr Sukop. He didn't bring any lefties to the show, but he does have a couple of stunners on hand in his inventory and sent me these pics:

A singlecut 5 banger

a doublecut 6 banger

I have no idea what pricing would be on either bass as I never asked. But i'm sure they are way more than $1.50USD each ;)

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 9:31 pm 

A Jay Turser bass:

another angle

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 9:32 pm 

A red Hagstrom. The red doesnt show well due to my poor photographic skills.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 9:37 pm 

There were a couple of MusicMan bases, but the pics did not turn out.

Up on an overhead display was a cool Red Bongo. The other was a black JB35. I did not care for the JB line, they felt like inferior imported products to me.

I asked a rep "Why JB 35?" All I can remember of his answer was that the first digit stood for the kind of wood. He wasn't too sure what the 2nd digit stood for, he thought it might refer to the color choice.

Also, I asked about flamed necks and custom colors on lefty USA Sterlings. He felt positive about the fact that we should be able to order those options on lefties. Anyone care to confirm this?

PostPosted: January 18th, 2010, 9:41 pm 

Everything else that I saw lefty were guitars. So I'm gonna share those as well!

While we're on the topic of MusicMan ......

A red Axis

A pearly white Axis