LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 12:26 am

Post subject: Rickenbacker lefty...worth chasing?
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 9:09 am 

Let me ask a question that may have been discussed many times.....is the Lefty Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003 worth seeking? There are some out there, but they are quite pricey. Is the sound and playability worth the effort and cost? I have a Hofner Club now and like the short neck, but it seems somewhat restricted to a relatively small segment of possible bass sounds. Thanks for any insight from Ric owners.

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker lefty...worth chasing?
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 9:19 am 

I had a Ric 4001 for years - righty flipped upside down - neck dive city of course. I think the 4001 has a signature sound, if you like that sound you will like it. I also had a Hofner btw a long time ago - my first bass - good to flip upside down 'cause its so light, but not what I would call a tone monster. Rics are not particularly versitile imo. 4003 I don't know first hand, I've read they are not as good. As you said, the lefty Rics are very expensive, I think there are better, more versitile basses out there lefty for quite a bit less, but if you gotta have a ric, then you should go for it, cause nothing else sounds quite like it.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 10:05 am 

Bhunt, thanks for the reply. Would it be correct to say that the Ric, and the Hofner for that matter, are more "niche" instruments v a Fender P, for example? Also, I wonder what you are playing now and how that might compare to you experience with the Ric or Hofner. Are you still playing a "righty as lefty"? Thanks again.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 10:14 am 

I'd say my 4003 is fairly versatile. It's how you use the instrument. If you take advantage of the stereo output then you can really get some different tones. Also using the foam can get you that old thumpy bass sound. I've found that using fingers vs. a pick can be quite a difference as well.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 10:31 am 

No more flipping upside down 'cause I can find lefty basses now - thank you internet! It's all opinion (imo) on what makes for a good sounding or versitile bass. For me it wasn't a Ric but it might be for you. Problem for us lefties is you can't often try out alot of different ones, which is why forums like this are good to share opinions.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 11:15 am 

Found my red 1974 twenty years ago just wandering into a shop. It was a solid beater then and still is - with all the original parts. Have strung with "Piccolo" gauge strings for a unique bass twang. The only bass I play with a pick. (Don't let Rick James fool you - "Slap/Pop" is the last thing a 4001 can do.)

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 12:31 pm 

Years ago Ricks were sorely undervalued comparatively to Fenders or other popular brands, and you could actually find a lefty for under $1000 easily. (I got my '79 Burgundyglo in near mint condition for $900 back in '02). Now they are way overpriced for a new one, IMO.

Definitely unique and original sound with it's share of quirky (and head-scratching) idiosyncrasies. If you've never played one, I wouldn't buy it without trying it first, as they are one of the most divisive basses made.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2009, 9:15 pm 

I agree, they are definitely overpriced. But there's that whole supply and demand issue these days. That and I heard they stopped making lefties while they catch up on other orders.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 7:43 am 

I've got a few lefty Rics.

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2009, 4:26 pm 

I've had two Ricks - both lefty 4003s. One was stock, the other had been modified with active pick-ups.

My personal opinion is that they are the best looking and one of the best playing basses around. However I found the sound to be pretty limiting. Worked good for hard rock but that was about all I really liked it for. And even then it was too mechanical sounding for my taste so I sold both of them eventually.

This is just my experience however. They are high quality enough instruments, and not too hard to find used even for a lefty, that they are totally worth trying out. Used ones tend to be a bit overpriced these days, but what "collectable" guitar isn't :roll: