LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:04 pm

Post subject: Carvin's introduction of new classic bolt-on P and J basses
PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 12:16 pm 

Has anyone been noticing what Carvin has been up to lately with the introduction of their new classic bolt on series basses (B40 and B50 P basses with J pickups; SB4000 and SB5000 J basses)? Base prices are from $649 to $899, and all are highly customizable and all available in LEFTY. Has anybody (ordered/ have /seen/ played) one yet? I feel like they've been reading my mind as I've always thought this could be a brilliant move for Carvin if they could market it properly...given their comparatively affordable "Custom Shop" and outstanding fit and finish capabilities, why not offer product targeted at the traditional P and J bass player? You can put together an incredible looking custom bass from the option list, and go active or passive! Still trying to decide how I feel about the classic style headstock and the SB (Jazz) body shape- depending on my mood some days I like it, some days I don't... but it wouldn't stop me from wanting one. I'm digging that active SB4000 in the catalog with the vintage Blue Mist finish, pearl block inlays and cream pickup covers... You have to check out the SB4000 demo videos by Seku Bunch- too cool- and the new active circuit sounds really good! http://www.carvinguitars.com/sb4000/

Attachments:
carvinb40-main.jpg
carvinb40-main.jpg [ 21.8 KiB | Viewed 30656 times ]
carvinsb5000-main.jpg
carvinsb5000-main.jpg [ 28.55 KiB | Viewed 30654 times ]
Carvin custom shop.jpg
Carvin custom shop.jpg [ 69.96 KiB | Viewed 30656 times ]
 Post subject: Re: Carvin's introduction of new classic bolt-on P and J basses
PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 2:32 pm 

I like the look of those SB basses for some reason but I'm not interested in buying one...

PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 2:34 pm 

I kinda dig the body shape on that SB5000. Looks like the bastard child of a Jazz and Warwick Dolphin.

PostPosted: October 10th, 2009, 3:39 am 

Just saw the Back Street Boys on Jimmy Kimmel live. The Boys sounded a little pitchy, but the band was hot, and the bass player was playing a 5-string sB5000, that looked almost like the picture, except the pickguard and pickups were white. Good looking bass, and sounded good. He was playing it through an Aguilar stack and amp.... right hander...

PostPosted: October 10th, 2009, 12:38 pm 

I have to be honest a say that the new SB series doesn't appeal to me at all. When I first saw it I thought " Is taking a jazz bass and bending the horns outward really the best creative idea Carvin could come up with?" and the headstock looks like a shoe.

O well, different strokes for different folks.

I do like the changes they have made to the B4 & B5 (now called the B40 & B50) and I am glad to see them keeping the prices reasonable.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2009, 4:14 pm 

Saw this review (see below) over at talkbass and had to post it because the bass was just gorgeous! Also, if you have not gone to the Carvin site and watched the demos for this bass you must do so, here's the link-- http://carvinchannel.com/category_home.php?cid=Basses
... I'm really starting to get more and more itchy to custom order one of these ...

DanAtkinson
Atlanta Bassist & Custom Builder
http://www.AtkinsonBasses.com

MY CARVIN SB4000 IS HERE! Full Review & Pics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow.

That pretty much sums things up. My SB4000 arrived today and it was money well spent. If you are on the fence about this bass, let me tell you - go for it.

Here's my review...

MY BUILD: For my SB4000 I chose a walnut body finished in tung oil, rosewood neck with no markers, standard chrome hardware, and the H50A stacked humbuckers with active electronics.

SOUND: All the basses I've made for myself have been passive old-school machines, so I decided to grab the SB4000 to serve as a more modern option. The H50A pickups with active EQ definitely fit the bill. I didn't realize the bass would also include a passive override, which really comes in handy, and does approximate the vintage Fender tone well. But this baby really shines in active mode. Very clean tone, no hiss, with lots of clear bottom end. The EQ adjustments are very tasty. Not sure of the exact bands, but it sounds very natural, probably due to a wide frequency Q. It is very versatile. Whatever your style, you can dial it in. I can't imagine any genre of music or any style of playing that would not sound fantastic on this bass. Oh, and it is super quiet. Not a trace of hum.

LOOKS: The pictures don't do it justice. Simply beautiful.

CONSTRUCTION: Top notch. Amazing. Was setup perfectly out of the box. The neck pocket is ultra tight. No finish imperfections. No rattles anywhere. The action is nice and low with no buzz.

FEEL: Weight is slightly heavier than a Fender. The neck is awesome. It feels like a Jazz, but a tiny bit wider at the nut, which I prefer. Very fast player. The satin finish on the neck is great out of the box.

OVERALL: Get one. Now. You won't regret it. The whole buying experience with Carvin was smooth and easy, and it shipped within 4 weeks.

Attachments:
carvinsb2.jpg
carvinsb2.jpg [ 103.27 KiB | Viewed 30494 times ]
carvinsb1.jpg
carvinsb1.jpg [ 223.75 KiB | Viewed 30495 times ]
PostPosted: October 26th, 2009, 4:35 pm 

....or a B40 or B50.... but i think I'm more stuck on the SB now...

Attachments:
b40-pair.jpg
b40-pair.jpg [ 98.14 KiB | Viewed 30468 times ]
b40-pair-1.jpg
b40-pair-1.jpg [ 105.13 KiB | Viewed 30463 times ]
PostPosted: October 27th, 2009, 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Man, that walnut jazz looks killer!

I'm digging these new Carvin basses, I hope they do well for them.

PostPosted: October 27th, 2009, 7:32 pm 

I'm GASing for a B40 with some kind of burst on the ash body.