LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:44 pm

Post subject: '51 Tele P lefty control plates!
PostPosted: March 26th, 2008, 8:18 am 

I'm currently in discussion about having a small batch of '51 Tele P lefty control plates manufactured. Due to the small quantity (under 25 plates) and very custom nature, I'm certain that these won't be a meager $10 each. I'll post a final cost per unit once I have it

Here's a righty control plate for reference

If I was to have this small batch made, is anyone here interested in one of these for your homebrew custom project?

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: '51 Tele P lefty control plates!
PostPosted: March 26th, 2008, 8:34 am 
Site Admin

If the price isn't too high I might take one. I don't have a plan to make a lefty '54 style P anytime soon, but maybe someday.

There's a guy on Arni's site who has a lefty '51 style P made from Warmoth parts that has a lefty control plate. Perhaps warmoth does have them now?

PostPosted: November 29th, 2008, 5:34 am 

Hi Rodent! Thats' funny, I was going to make one, and have it chromed...but if the price isn't too high, put me on the list. Keep me posted...thanks-
I, like almost everyone else here am lusting after an authentic looking mid 50's P-bass with the single coil. I'm going to paint and build- assemble actually, a '55 contour body style p-bass from parts in the not too distant future. I'm going to use B.Hefner (Edenhaus) parts, he'll cut a square neck pocket and neck heel...Warmoth won't. Warmoth also puts steel rods in the neck, a deal breaker for me on a vintage repro. Oh, I forgot...the 's' curves Warmoth claim are eliminated from their necks using those steel bars, well, I have one with a pretty distinct 's' in it. Hefner's also a better deal price wise, and nearer to my location...west coast.
The lefty control plate for these basses is the only part that is unavailable aftermarket, or from Fender. We'll have to fix that! LOL!

Just a side note, I played a butterscotch Japanese re-issue a few years ago, righty of course...loved it. almost couldn't put it down. I just played a righty Lake Placid Blue "50's look" Squier p-bass at Guitar Sphincter, and believe it or not, it's such a good bass for the money, if it was lefty, I'd own it right now! These P-basses have a very different tone from other split pickup p-basses, and is slightly reminiscent of a jazz bass' neck only pickup tone, but not quite the same. I really dig the sound these basses make. Too bad Fender won't make them for us.

A BIG P.S. HERE: I got a Fender Custom shop price quote late last year (2007) to build me a left handed '55 Precision bass - $2,760.00 ! I don't think so.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 8:27 pm 

greg rogers , gr guitars ,washington state , ,has bilt me four left handed 51 P basses over the last 5 -6 years , , check with him , ,he took a 51 control plate ,flipped it, re-countersunk the screw holes, then polished it up superbly shiney for me, , i think his prices are not only quite fair , but way below the market of other custom builders' and so-called custom houses ( warmoth-chandler- dolan ) - sorry ,those guys are EXCELLENT to say the least, just expensive. pipps

PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 8:31 pm 

hi andrew ,after reading entire post ,i believe that 51' on Arni site ,is mine, or one of the one's i sold back a few , , if it is ,that control plate is not metal ,but actually chromed-mirror plexi pick gaurd material , that i had WD make for me , circe 1995 - - if this is the smae animal "we" are talking about , , ?? pipps

Post subject: Update - 16 Dec 2008
PostPosted: December 16th, 2008, 7:50 pm 

the original contact fell thru, and I've been looking, sending numerous RFQ's all over the continent since, and have received no replies (with one exception) ... until today! I'm meeting with a guy who runs a small machine shop out of his garage on the weekends, and he's interested in providing me a formal quote on these :D

if I have the funds, and he's willing/capable of a high quality product, I'll initially be ordering 10 plates as long as my cost is under the $50USD threshold per unit

hopefully I'll have more good news in the coming days!

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: Update - 16 Dec 2008
PostPosted: December 17th, 2008, 10:19 am 

Rodent wrote:
the original contact fell thru, and I've been looking, sending numerous RFQ's all over the continent since, and have received no replies (with one exception) ... until today! I'm meeting with a guy who runs a small machine shop out of his garage on the weekends, and he's interested in providing me a formal quote on these :D

if I have the funds, and he's willing/capable of a high quality product, I'll initially be ordering 10 plates as long as my cost is under the $50USD threshold per unit

hopefully I'll have more good news in the coming days!

all the best,

R

Go Speed Racer!

PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 7:04 pm 

so far so good - he can make these :)

I was presented with two different chroming options: traditional electroplating or powder chroming. supposedly the powder chroming is just as durable as electroplating, but it costs significantly less and has a quicker turn around. I need to research some on this latter option to see what kind of results it provides (I have that lumpy powder coating I see used for painting stuck in my head, and can't imagine the powder chroming providing a mirror like smooth finish)

I should be receiving pricing for both options within a week

these just could become reality yet!! 8-)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 8:33 pm 

While we're on the subject of '51 parts, what options are there for string ferrules? I don't remember where I left off with this when I was doing research, but it's my understanding that true replica '51 P bass ferrules don't exist or are hard to come by.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 8:53 pm 

I could inquire about cost for custom machined ferrules - know of a specification drawing or original ferrule that can bu used to dimensions?

all the best,

R