LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:23 am

Post subject: New modified bass day!
PostPosted: October 4th, 2021, 7:48 pm 

Yesterday I received my modified Ken Bebensee lefty 23" scale five string fretless uke bass. This bass was initially built for use with Pahoehoe silicone rubber uke bass strings and only had a single piezo pickup by open-To-Source Sensors™ and preamp by Audere.

During the initial build I had asked Ken about the possibility of adding a magnetic pickup later in the event that I found a string manufacturer that would be willing to make 23" scale tapewound strings for me. Previously I had contacted D'Addario and LaBella to see if they would be able to and D'Addario said they had no plans to do so and LaBella said they 'couldn't make the intonation work'. Anyways, Ken designed the bass and control cavities to allow for expansion. Several months ago I found a string manufacturer who was willing and able to make custom 23" scale tapes for me, a company called Pyramid Strings in Germany. They have been around for 150 years but I myself had never heard to them until that time. They asked for all the key measurements and the strings fit perfectly. The action past the 12th was very high due to the rubber strings, which are extremely low tension and have a wide vibrational arc. I sent the bass back to Ken to have the action lowered and inquired about adding the magnetic pickup as we discussed. We researched various companies and decided on a Nordstrand Big Blade J 5 pickup and a new Audere preamp, and Ken wanted to replace the OSS piezo with individual piezo saddles from Graph Tech in Canada.

An additional tone knob had to be added and I was emphatic to Ken to try and get it in the back near the bridge in the dark wood area. Problem was, the jack is right in that spot. But luckily the Audere pots are very small and so Ken was able to fit everything like I wanted. Yay!

So after a few months of major surgery Ken finally got everything done and shipped it out last Thursday. Fedex said it would be delivered on Monday (today) so I was out running errands on Saturday and got an email saying they couldn't make delivery since I wasn't home and they would try again Monday. Hmph! I guess Fedex is too efficient! As it turns out I had another item being delivered on Sunday and when Fedex arrived they delightfully dropped off the bass at the same time. Great!

The tapewound action is wonderfully low and the sound palette is totally different so I need time to dial things in. The rubber strings gave a nice 'blooming' bass sound, but there were many annoying idiosyncrasies that I had to deal with which I know I won't miss. After receiving the bass today I immediately threw on a new set of Pyramid strings and checked out the sound. The Nordstrand definitely is midrangey and extremely easy to get the Jaco mwah sound, and the good old 60 cycle hum that was blissfully absent with the piezo only setup has returned. The new piezo setup has no buzz and I think that the individual saddles can be adjusted for volume. Which is good because the A string is much louder than the rest. I will need to contact Ken to see how to bring that level down. But it's fun to play all the 5 string songs that I haven't been able to play for the last few months.

Post subject: Re: New modified bass day!
PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 6:21 am 

How cool! I hope you love it!

How is the intonation with those strings? I am curious if LaBella, who obviously know what they are doing, had legitimate concerns about the intonation, or if it turned out not to be a problem.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 6:43 am 

I can't tell what I like better: the bass or the rigs!

Actually, the bass wins easily, but the rigs are pretty sweet, too. The TT-800 is the all around nicest amp I've ever played.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 7:05 am 

Badass. I think I saw Ken post this on the facebooks recently

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 7:41 am 

Great looking bass and rigs!! Totally original looking to boot..

PostPosted: October 5th, 2021, 11:03 am 

Beautiful! Can you post up a youtube video one day soon, so we can hear it?

PostPosted: October 6th, 2021, 12:06 am 

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
How cool! I hope you love it!

How is the intonation with those strings? I am curious if LaBella, who obviously know what they are doing, had legitimate concerns about the intonation, or if it turned out not to be a problem.

The intonation is much better compared to the rubber strings. As mentioned, the rubber strings required rather high action and past the 12th fret things got weird as you had to press down so far and the desired note ended up sharp. With the Pyramids the action is very low and the intonation is much better, but past the 12th fret it still gets hard to find your way around with the ultra short scale, no lines and the additional low B string making things look confusing.

Haven't been in contact with either D'Addario or LaBella since I last spoke to them a few years ago. I sure wish I knew about Pyramid before Ken started building the bass so he could do everything properly from the get go.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2021, 12:11 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
Beautiful! Can you post up a youtube video one day soon, so we can hear it?

Here are some links to a couple of audio recordings I did and posted on TB. Not sure how to post audio here.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/mbd.15 ... t-25723852

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/mbd.15 ... t-25726406

PostPosted: October 6th, 2021, 7:46 am 

That's a fantastic looking instrument. Wow wow

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6