LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 7:54 pm

Post subject: NBD: 1990 Warwick Thumb NT 5
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2021, 2:52 am 

Found this gem hiding in Germany.

Passed down from father (Whom was left handed) to son (Who is right handed) - Absolutely MINT condition - Took me 15 minutes to revert back to left handed.

No neckdive (Was worried about this - Guess the aluminum trussrod they used until 1990 helps alot).

Pictures are from pre-cleanup - Currently waiting for my polishing rubber to make those brass frets shine.

Post subject: Re: NBD: 1990 Warwick Thumb NT 5
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2021, 6:52 am 

Damn easy to see how far I got:

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2021, 6:58 am 

Absolutely beautiful! Gotta love those early warwicks. Dotted fretboard and all. Can you post some picks from the back side too? :)

Its funny cause just literally now Im playing my thumb nt5 after some truss rod tweaking.

Congrats for your new bass!

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2021, 7:09 am 

That really is gorgeous.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2021, 7:18 am 

Smo wrote:
Absolutely beautiful! Gotta love those early warwicks. Dotted fretboard and all. Can you post some picks from the back side too? :)

Its funny cause just literally now Im playing my thumb nt5 after some truss rod tweaking.

Congrats for your new bass!

Sitting and looking at string choices right now, will be testing the following on 'her' this weekend:

Ernie Ball Cobalt Flatwound (For a modern Flatwound sound).

TI Flats (because why not....).

Warwick EMP.

D'Addario NYXL.

Wanted to try Hi-Beams aswell, but that will have to wait until next week, as my local string-pusher didnt have a 5-string set in stock.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2021, 7:40 am 

I think I saw this listed at eBay Kleinanzeigen. Beautiful, and awesome find. Price was fair too IIRC. Congrats!

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2021, 8:15 am 

Jeroen wrote:
I think I saw this listed at eBay Kleinanzeigen. Beautiful, and awesome find. Price was fair too IIRC. Congrats!

Yup, he had it listed at 2500€ (~3000USD) then relisted it 4 months later for 1400€ (~1700USD) and I haggled him down to 1200€ (~1400USD).

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2021, 8:29 am 

Good score!

Great to see the Warwick love here this weekend.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2021, 8:36 am 

Insane price. Used warwick prices do favor the buyer. I wonder if/when the used prices will rise..

PostPosted: May 26th, 2021, 3:43 am 

Congratulations, she's a beauty

PostPosted: May 26th, 2021, 8:26 am 

Wow!! Stunning!! Maybe the oldest ‘wick on here? ....(pauses for a while in case Carmine pulls a Nobby Meidel from behind the couch). It looks so fresh. I’ve no idea how the “.....Western Germany” printing on your control cavity cover lasted so well. On my ‘95 Fortress, it’s almost worn off, and you have 5 years on mine.... totally magic!

Side note: My side dots totally disintegrated (looked like thin mother of pearl type material), but I was able to snag some of the rod style replacement material from Stu Mac that was really easy to fit and finish, so if you find that happening to you, it’s an easy fix.

I have pure blues on both my $$ and fortress FWIW....

PostPosted: May 26th, 2021, 9:47 am 

NordicBard wrote:

Nice job, what did you use on the frets?
I always use these pads, from Thomann. I start with the coarse ones (lightly) and work my way up to 12000 grit. Pretty happy with the results usually, but I'd like to try rubber polishing pads for a change because they don't flex as much as these thin micromesh pads.

This was my '01 Streamer LX when I bought it (top) and after I finished with it (bottom) and had thoroughly cleaned and oiled up the fingerboard.

Attachment:
Toets voor en na.jpg
Toets voor en na.jpg [ 443.55 KiB | Viewed 11633 times ]

PostPosted: May 26th, 2021, 10:26 am 

Jeroen wrote:
NordicBard wrote:

Nice job, what did you use on the frets?
I always use these pads, from Thomann. I start with the coarse ones (lightly) and work my way up to 12000 grit. Pretty happy with the results usually, but I'd like to try rubber polishing pads for a change because they don't flex as much as these thin micromesh pads.

This was my '01 Streamer LX when I bought it (top) and after I finished with it (bottom) and had thoroughly cleaned and oiled up the fingerboard.

Attachment:
Toets voor en na.jpg

I *ALWAYS* use polishing rubber - Grit 1000 and 2000.

That being said, these frets were so tarnished and being Bell brass I resorted to covering it in painters tape and use Brasso. You do NOT want this to seep down into the fretboard, so as soon as you are done you remove the tape and use lemon oil and a toothbrush and clean the fretboard.

It leaves the frets looking brand spanking new - We use it in the Navy for the abundance of brass 'knick-knacks' we have hanging inside and outside. A whole neck takes 10 minutes at most, though taping it takes alot more *Laughs*

PostPosted: May 26th, 2021, 10:36 am 

NoXX wrote:
Wow!! Stunning!! Maybe the oldest ‘wick on here? ....(pauses for a while in case Carmine pulls a Nobby Meidel from behind the couch). It looks so fresh. I’ve no idea how the “.....Western Germany” printing on your control cavity cover lasted so well. On my ‘95 Fortress, it’s almost worn off, and you have 5 years on mine.... totally magic!

Side note: My side dots totally disintegrated (looked like thin mother of pearl type material), but I was able to snag some of the rod style replacement material from Stu Mac that was really easy to fit and finish, so if you find that happening to you, it’s an easy fix.

I have pure blues on both my $$ and fortress FWIW....

When I first received it and took it out of the case, that very thought also hit me 'Damn, this one looks minty fresh!' - I have a feeling that the original owner, the father of the seller, bought it and then stored it. Not a single scratch anywhere - I just finished applying a 3rd and final wax polish and it looks like new.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2021, 10:41 am 

I just jumped around the room like a madman, zero neckdive. They dont make them like they used to, that's for sure.

Was looking forward to use my mega grib strap on it, but seems like I can use my favorite leather strap with no worries.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2021, 5:50 pm 

That's Bubinga, right? I'm a big fan of it, especially the quilted look... am also partial to Wenge, which I know Warwick used frequently... If you look at my Avatar, the top is quilted Bubinga, with Rosewood fretboard, the back is Africa Limba, and the neck is Wenge/Maple... not trying to hijack, but here is the wood on my custom bass...

PostPosted: May 26th, 2021, 11:07 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
That's Bubinga, right? I'm a big fan of it, especially the quilted look... am also partial to Wenge, which I know Warwick used frequently... If you look at my Avatar, the top is quilted Bubinga, with Rosewood fretboard, the back is Africa Limba, and the neck is Wenge/Maple... not trying to hijack, but here is the wood on my custom bass...

Love it! Bubinga is so darn sexy to look at, especially when quilted - It's so '3D'.

Yup, According to the reply I got from Hans Peter Wilfer it's Bubinga and Wenge. Super quick reply, and a very personal mail I might add, super service. Even attached the spec sheet for me to save.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2021, 7:07 pm 

FWIW I’ve always had great service and communication with Warwick. I used to order parts from the Nashville shop, but when that source dried up, I ordered a bunch from Germany. Funnily enough, Warwick sent me a satisfaction survey after ordering the parts, and Hans replied to the survey response personally. Not only that, but his wife helped me out with my parts needs..totally cool. Also, all of my tech questions in the past were dealt with by Marcus, who I learnt afterwards handles all of the custom builds for their pro artists..

I wanted to share a bit of Hans’ reply:

... thanks for your mail and what you are saying.. well my entire family has a passion
to the company and even my son is already working in the company in the floors as
he has to learn from the scratch and my daugher study`s and comes later back to
the company.. yes in a lot of fields we are honored about what we have or that
we can do what we do.. and yes you have to be open minded and fair all other...
doing lefthands without upcharge was all the time normal for me even it makes
more work or cost a some times a lot more with the parts but to be fair to everyone
it is a part of the business.

Even our buisness is terrible hard to stay on the top against such big companys
like Fender, Gibson or others... it is not only money why we do it..

So thanks for your passion again and as I said.. hopefully we can win you
one day in the future for a new custome shop / masterbuilt bass again.

All the best

Framus & Warwick GmbH & Co Music Equipment KG
H.P.Wilfer 16.07.2019, 19:05

PostPosted: May 28th, 2021, 1:19 am 

NoXX wrote:
FWIW I’ve always had great service and communication with Warwick. I used to order parts from the Nashville shop, but when that source dried up, I ordered a bunch from Germany. Funnily enough, Warwick sent me a satisfaction survey after ordering the parts, and Hans replied to the survey response personally. Not only that, but his wife helped me out with my parts needs..totally cool. Also, all of my tech questions in the past were dealt with by Marcus, who I learnt afterwards handles all of the custom builds for their pro artists..

I wanted to share a bit of Hans’ reply:

... thanks for your mail and what you are saying.. well my entire family has a passion
to the company and even my son is already working in the company in the floors as
he has to learn from the scratch and my daugher study`s and comes later back to
the company.. yes in a lot of fields we are honored about what we have or that
we can do what we do.. and yes you have to be open minded and fair all other...
doing lefthands without upcharge was all the time normal for me even it makes
more work or cost a some times a lot more with the parts but to be fair to everyone
it is a part of the business.

Even our buisness is terrible hard to stay on the top against such big companys
like Fender, Gibson or others... it is not only money why we do it..

So thanks for your passion again and as I said.. hopefully we can win you
one day in the future for a new custome shop / masterbuilt bass again.

All the best

Framus & Warwick GmbH & Co Music Equipment KG
H.P.Wilfer 16.07.2019, 19:05

I have the highest respect for Warwick - The email I got was very personal and not some standard formula, I even got his 'personal' email, if I ever had questions (I asked into a bit of the Warwick history aswell).

Little fact:

They are the first carbon-neutral company in the music industry, family Owned and solar powered sustainably manufactured in a green environment.

It's clear that it is alot more than 'just' a business for them, and they take massive pride in what they do and how they do it.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2021, 4:48 pm 

NordicBard wrote:
fivebass52 wrote:

Love it! Bubinga is so darn sexy to look at, especially when quilted - It's so '3D'.

Yup, According to the reply I got from Hans Peter Wilfer it's Bubinga and Wenge. Super quick reply, and a very personal mail I might add, super service. Even attached the spec sheet for me to save.

Quilted Bubinga is indeed special... When I tilt my bass slightly, the 'quilts' look like waves, that look almost two inches deep! I once saw a complete office desk with it... it was, as you say, so very three dimensional, highly polished, and gorgeous...