LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 13th, 2024, 2:47 am

Post subject: Re: spear guitars
PostPosted: May 24th, 2010, 6:04 pm 

Even more beautiful close up than in the seller's stock pix. Very glad to hear a first hand review of these basses, thanks. I had contacted them (aka musicdungeon, right?) about this bass when they had it listed up on ebay a couple of weeks ago, since I'm only about an hour's drive from Plainview and inquired about buying it for pick up to save on shipping. Unfortunately, I never did get out there, but it's good to know they might be able to get more of them. I know they also had a S-1 model, but I'm not a fan of that body design.

Now I have a question for you, Carmine. Did you snag this one?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 7:50 am 

Great looking instrument Carmine! I went to the All Music website and didn't see any Spear basses, just guitars. Did you have to custom order it from the Spear catalog?

PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 8:42 am 

:o that thing looks sweeeeet, do you know if they offer any other string configurations or are the 4 strings the only lefty ones avaliable?

PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 9:40 am 

I got the S-2 on Ebay after having some direct communication with Allmusic inc. via their Ebay seller account (Musicdungeon). They told me they were "carrying everything by Spear"- but at the same time they also told me "everything we have in stock is up on Ebay", and I got the feeling that for starters they had only initially gotten maybe one of each guitar available. The only lefty basses I saw were one S-1 four string and one S-2 four string . I bought the S-2, and I don't know what happened to the S-1 (I just couldn't get into that "crooked" upper bout) but they're not listing it anymore, so someone may have bought it at the store. The good news is that Allmusic have a brick & mortar store that has been in business for 25+ years- but given the shaky history of Spear's U.S. distribution, I recommend we call them ASAP (516)433-6970 to see what their ongoing plan is for either stocking or ordering Spear inventory, especially lefty basses. I haven't been able to determine from my research if the colors, and/or the fancier models with spalted woods and other upgrades, or the 5 and 6 strings are also available in lefty...

Attachments:
Spear S1 & S2.jpg
Spear S1 & S2.jpg [ 204.4 KiB | Viewed 4736 times ]
Spear S1 SP.jpg
Spear S1 SP.jpg [ 56.48 KiB | Viewed 4737 times ]
Spear s2e.jpg
Spear s2e.jpg [ 13.15 KiB | Viewed 4735 times ]
PostPosted: May 25th, 2010, 9:59 am 

well i guess my immediate plans for a car might have to be put on hold, those basses are basically everything im looking (minus one or two little electronics upgrades i can do myself)for at a fraction of the price....any one got any suggestions for helping me convince the girlfriend? lol

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 5:04 am 

Bad news. I contacted Music Dungeon and they said that they won't be getting any more S-2s in since they're not available in the US. :( So Carmine, you got the last one. They did, however, say that they still have the S-1 in stock, so if you're in a Lord of the Rings cover band it might just be your bass. ;)

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 11:31 am 

did they give any particular reason why the s2 is not offered in america? If anything i see that model being their flag ship as a solid alternative to all the $3000+ singlecuts

Post subject: http://www.spear-guitars.co.uk/
PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 7:55 am 

http://www.spear-guitars.co.uk/

They are available still from this UK Dealer. I just called Mark there and he told me that all of the models are available in a lefty version.

They sell direct too. He said you can wait for the next shipment which is due in 4/5 months or custom order one and that will take 6/8 weeks. Custom order one will cost a bit more of course. The 4/5 month wait is to make sure we get the basses at the lowest price possible. There's no middle man.

here's his contact details he's a really helpful guy too! Mark Briengan on mark@blacki.eu Telephone: +44 (0)1236 861261