LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 7:55 pm

Post subject: Short Scale Basses--All the Rage?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2020, 12:54 pm 

I enjoy playing my Höfner because of its short scale, but it was the hollow sound that I was after, not the scale.

I've noticed on this forum and others that people are really into short scale basses. Short scale basses weren't really a serious thing for most bassists when I was a teen and learning to play.

I'm curious about why?

Is it just that I'm becoming aware of something that's always had a good sized market?

Are there contemporary short scale bassists bringing on the fad similar to how SRV sold sunburst Strats for Fender?

Is it that more guitarists are playing bass on their home recordings and so they go to short scale basses whose necks aren't that much longer than a guitar's?

Or is it just a fad like Pet Rocks or Mohawks?

Short scale basses are cool, just not something I look for.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

Post subject: Re: Short Scale Basses--All the Rage?
PostPosted: December 14th, 2020, 12:58 pm 

Just my 2 cents, but I think there are 2 factors at least:
1. They are more comfortable to play for many people.
2. The designs of short scale basses have improved greatly.
Birdsong in particular has put a lot of thought into their short scales and from what I've heard, they sound great.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2020, 9:50 pm 

I walked into a guitar center one day, just window shopping really, and snagged a damaged box deal on an Epiphone Eb-0 beginner package for a steal.
Now, I know there’s a lot of better short scales out there these days but I found it really “fun” to play, just kind of made me smile whenever I plugged it in.
I think it’s the lighter string tension maybe, with that tubby tone (especially on an Epi).
I also think just having something different than what you’re used is part of it. New sounds beget new ideas.

Ps
I do still have the amp it came with, it sounds like garbage and I love it.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2020, 2:48 am 

Murzenquest wrote:
I walked into a guitar center one day, just window shopping really, and snagged a damaged box deal on an Epiphone Eb-0 beginner package for a steal.
Now, I know there’s a lot of better short scales out there these days but I found it really “fun” to play, just kind of made me smile whenever I plugged it in.
I think it’s the lighter string tension maybe, with that tubby tone (especially on an Epi).
I also think just having something different than what you’re used is part of it. New sounds beget new ideas.

Ps
I do still have the amp it came with, it sounds like garbage and I love it.

Epiphone is making some good instruments these days. I've heard great things from guys on my "home" forum. A year ago, I bought a long scale Epi SG type bass for a girlfriend who gave it up. I put a lefty nut on it. It is neck heavy, but I only use it for recording, and it sounds GREAT. No pup change necessary. To my ears, it's the sound of the Gibson basses of the 70s.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

PostPosted: December 15th, 2020, 3:49 pm 

I bought an SG on a whim because I'm a Mike Watt fan. He's always played them, and the Reverend Watt bass looks killer.
I fell in love with it immediately for its ease to play. It's so much more comfortable to play. So I bought a Spector Bantam,
and it instantly became my #1 bass. I even have another Euro Spector that I don't even like to play because the neck is so long.

Sold the SG. But then I went and bought a righty Fender American Mustang, and I have to say that it rivals the Spector in many ways.
I've sold off pretty much all of my long-scale basses.

pete