LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:07 am

Post subject: G&L JB-5: On Order
PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 6:10 pm 

I shouldn't have done this in this economy, but sometimes.....

I'll have it in 8-12 weeks if all goes well

5 string Jazz Bass

Swamp Ash body

Quartersawn maple neck

Maple FB

Stainless steel frets

Clear Red Finish

Black pickguard and knobs

It will look something like this:

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

Post subject: Re: G&L JB-5: On Order
PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 8:17 pm 

I have never played a G&L that I didn't like. I had a fretless L2500 for several years, and I had a 1988 SB-1 (split coils) for a decade. Wish I had both of them back.

(I have a lefty Blues Boy on order - Tele, but not bass)

PostPosted: September 28th, 2020, 11:05 pm 

Wow, I'm supremely jealous! :lol:

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 12:06 am 

That's tasty! Not the first finish that would come to my mind when I'd order one, but if it turns out anything like the one in the picture that's absolutely stunning!

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 1:18 am 

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the comments.

I've never been in a shop with a lefty 5 string, so I've never even tried one. I've stuck to 4 strings, but often when I've recorded, i've needed that low string.

8-12 weeks. After the two or three days of ordering , I'll be able to put it in the back of my mind.

I used stringinstruments.com Nicest foks I've EVER deal with. Guy who owns it, Jim, tells me it started off as a guitar repair shop and just grew from there. He told me a story of meeting Leo Fender. We had some laughs. He and his colleague Neil were so nice and efficient and PROFESSIONAL.

I'm going to recommend the hell out of them.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 8:58 am 

Congrats ch willie, that will be a sweet bass!

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 9:05 am 

Lovely

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 10:00 am 

That is going to be sweet!

I look forward to seeing pictures and reading your thoughts about it when you get it!

ch willie wrote:
I shouldn't have done this in this economy, but sometimes.....

Oh, yeah! All of us know exactly how that is!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 12:31 pm 

Waiting for it is going to kill me, so I'm going to chase women to take my mind off of it.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 12:34 pm 

I'm well-known as a G&L fan and I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm at all. But just a friendly suggestion to have your dealer go over the bass and build sheet with a fine-tooth comb, with your order form in hand, before you accept delivery (and preferably before you pay the balance). Ask your dealer questions about little things, too, like making sure the knobs are seated properly, pots aren't scratchy, and that it simply conforms to your order--almost as if you were checking a used bass.

I'm on another forum where we trade our recent G&L quality control stories, and things have definitely been slipping at the factory since the custom shop opened. If they get your order right, however, I would expect that you will be extremely happy with the bass, especially that finish.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 12:34 pm 

ch willie wrote:
Waiting for it is going to kill me, so I'm going to chase women to take my mind off of it.

I waited eleven months for my Kiloton.

Your strategy is sound.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 1:16 pm 

tim wrote:
I'm well-known as a G&L fan and I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm at all. But just a friendly suggestion to have your dealer go over the bass and build sheet with a fine-tooth comb, with your order form in hand, before you accept delivery (and preferably before you pay the balance). Ask your dealer questions about little things, too, like making sure the knobs are seated properly, pots aren't scratchy, and that it simply conforms to your order--almost as if you were checking a used bass.

I'm on another forum where we trade our recent G&L quality control stories, and things have definitely been slipping at the factory since the custom shop opened. If they get your order right, however, I would expect that you will be extremely happy with the bass, especially that finish.

Thanks for the advice. I've taken care of that with the guys. And if it's not right, I'll ask nicely a few times, and then I'll go visit them. ha ha. (I've seen too many Scorsese films).

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 2:53 pm 

I hope you dig it as much as I do mine. It's become my number one gigging bass (yes, I do get the occasional gig). It sounds killer through my Fender Super Bassman 300 and Fearless F112, or through an Ampeg PF-50T w/ matching 15 speaker. I'm going to have to dig to find a pic of it tho :-(
Congrats!

PostPosted: September 29th, 2020, 8:56 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
I hope you dig it as much as I do mine. It's become my number one gigging bass (yes, I do get the occasional gig). It sounds killer through my Fender Super Bassman 300 and Fearless F112, or through an Ampeg PF-50T w/ matching 15 speaker. I'm going to have to dig to find a pic of it tho :-(
Congrats!

Yes, I'd love to see that pic. I've got an Ampeg V4B and Heritage Cab--don't know if I'll ever play live again, but the neighbors can enjoy it, and a Fender Rumble 350, a surprisingly great sounding amp. I can't wait to hear what the JB-5 will sound like through them.

You might have seen my post about getting my Fender JB converted to a fretless. i liked the bass okay, but it wasn't one of my tops out of the 5 I own now. Changing it to a fretless has brought it up considerably in my esteem.

So for fretted JB, I had to go with G&L. 5 strings and a maple fb for a lefty? If I weren't so happy with the my Precision, Tele, and Strat, I'd go G&L for those too.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2020, 9:42 am 

ch willie wrote:
Yes, I'd love to see that pic. I've got an Ampeg V4B and Heritage Cab--don't know if I'll ever play live again, but the neighbors can enjoy it, and a Fender Rumble 350, a surprisingly great sounding amp. I can't wait to hear what the JB-5 will sound like through them.

No luck digging up the pics unfortunately. I had the glamor shots G&L uses from their bench, but where they are, who knows? lol

I can tell you it's a Sonic Blue with maple fretboard with dots (no blocks). Quality-wise G&L delivered a good one. It was well set up, fretwork was awesome, had true lefty pots, no finish issues, came with a hard case (which I believe is not always the case these days - pun intended!). Very well balanced when wearing a strap.

I used it at a gig last weekend. Slapped a fresh set of strings on it (Ernie Ball Cobalts) and it just sang beautifully! Normally I wouldn't use Cobalts for gigging purposes, but it's all I had in the closet.

PostPosted: October 6th, 2020, 6:47 am 

AzWhoFan wrote:
ch willie wrote:

No luck digging up the pics unfortunately. I had the glamor shots G&L uses from their bench, but where they are, who knows? lol

I can tell you it's a Sonic Blue with maple fretboard with dots (no blocks). Quality-wise G&L delivered a good one. It was well set up, fretwork was awesome, had true lefty pots, no finish issues, came with a hard case (which I believe is not always the case these days - pun intended!). Very well balanced when wearing a strap.

I used it at a gig last weekend. Slapped a fresh set of strings on it (Ernie Ball Cobalts) and it just sang beautifully! Normally I wouldn't use Cobalts for gigging purposes, but it's all I had in the closet.

I bet yours looks awesome! I'm glad to hear that you like it so much. I've got dots on mine too. I'm so excited about this. I am doing a really good job of putting it in the back of my mind; otherwise, my guitar OCD will kick in and I'll be obsessed for 2-3 months. ha ha

PostPosted: October 7th, 2020, 12:49 pm 

I've got my SB-2 ordered from Upfront Guitars in 2017.
Right after I ordered it, the block inlays became available and I was so bummed out.
When the bass arrived, the neck was standard 1 1/5 nut width and I ordered it with a thicker neck.
So they let me keep the bass until they built me a new one and I was still able to get the block inlay upgrade.
I couldn't be happier and I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

PostPosted: October 7th, 2020, 1:12 pm 

Yup, and shortly after Paulo's, mine:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdr3PERFToX/

PostPosted: October 7th, 2020, 3:21 pm 

tim wrote:
Yup, and shortly after Paulo's, mine:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdr3PERFToX/

"As you can see, it worked out fine."

Yeah, I should say so! :lol:

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2020, 3:28 pm 

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
Yeah, I should say so! :lol:

Gordon really knows how to take a picture :)