LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:03 pm

Post subject: Warwick Rockbass Starbass
PostPosted: September 7th, 2020, 9:11 am 

Just impulse-ordered one of these:

https://shop.warwick.de/en/instruments/ ... ish?c=3811

I've been wanting a medium scale for a while, as well as a hollow/semi-hollow... I've heard mixed reports of the quality on these... If this thing is nice, I might look into a German-made one. But those seem to all be 34" scale unless I get into a custom-built bass... anybody have any experience with Warwick custom builds? Which dealer do I go through?

Post subject: Re: Warwick Rockbass Starbass
PostPosted: September 11th, 2020, 8:32 am 

Just got a call from FedEx asking for tons of details for customs... wood type, varnish, what type of shirt, male, female, cotton, etc.

Has anybody had this happen. I told them they need to ask the shipper.

Weird.

PostPosted: September 11th, 2020, 12:56 pm 

Never happened to me, but I've only done two int'l orders: a Sire from Thomann a few years ago, and a used Warwick from a private seller in Portugal in May.

I'm also really curious about these basses and would love to hear your thoughts. Some folks say they sound every bit as good as their German counterparts; others say they just aren't the same (despite the specs being quite similar). I would prefer 34" so would probably jump if a used German one ever popped up, but they never do. Quite a rare bird.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2020, 10:41 am 

tim wrote:
Never happened to me, but I've only done two int'l orders: a Sire from Thomann a few years ago, and a used Warwick from a private seller in Portugal in May.

I'm also really curious about these basses and would love to hear your thoughts. Some folks say they sound every bit as good as their German counterparts; others say they just aren't the same (despite the specs being quite similar). I would prefer 34" so would probably jump if a used German one ever popped up, but they never do. Quite a rare bird.

The fretless and 5-strings Star Bass are 34" scale in the Rockbass line FWIW. As are the German-made ones... I think thew only outlier is the 4-string Rockbass Star Bass. It's actually why I pulled the trigger. I wish I could find a lefty fretless... there was a german-made one floating around in sunburst but I hate sunburst.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2020, 7:33 pm 

Well I finally got it last week... after a complete customs nightmare... eventually they left it at my front door without knocking, right in downtown Brooklyn... glad it wasn't swiped.

Just sat down with it to do a quick set-up and play it... Oh boy is this thing garbage. The neck is fucked, has a bad hump and high frets all over the place. truss won't fix the hump as it's on one side above the 9th fret and there's already proper relief below there. It's basically a hump on the treble side above the effective range of the truss.

Paint job is wonky, like they have no idea how to mask for binding... the white goes outside the lines all along the binding. There are other little issues with it as well... it's just cheap all around.

The radius is off-center...

Other than that, it's a shame as it seems to have a decent sound and feel, aside from its issues. Not sure I want a replacement as I imagine they are all shitty, seem like manufacturing practices are just bad.

Stay away.

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2020, 7:16 am 

Sorry to hear. Thanks for the update.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2020, 7:49 am 

That's really too bad. I appreciate you sharing, though, so the rest of us can avoid the same issues.

Did you purchase it new?