LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 6th, 2024, 12:36 am

Post subject: Fender 2008 MIA Tort Pickguards
PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 1:23 pm 

Hi all,

My first posting on the website!

I recently bought a new Fender American Standard Jazz Bass in Sunburst so it came with the "Brown" Pickguard as advertised in Fender's specification for this model.

I was very disappointed that the Pickguard is definitely more Red than Brown Tort, is this correct? I've seen photos on the net and they all seem Brown to me, as do the 2008 one's shown on You Tube Video clips. Has anyone else bought one and noticed the same thing?

I sent Fender a photo and they can't see anything wrong with it and have blamed it on my camera for having a red bias!

Here's a photo of it anyway so you can all see what I'm talking about.

Post subject: Re: Fender 2008 MIA Tort Pickguards
PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 1:50 pm 

I know what you mean, but the reds do look a little strong generally in this photo - if this is the one you sent them I can see why they responded the way they did.

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, welcome to the board.

Nice bass! I also prefer a more brown tort than red, but Fender tort tends to run the gamut from reddish to brown. Especially the MIJ tort guards, very red tort.

If you want a more brown tort guard I'm sure one could be had from one of the aftermarket pickguard places (pickguardian, Jeannie, etc.)

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 1:59 pm 

Yes, it probably is a bad example, this is one of the photos I sent to Fender which I feel is a fairly faithful replication of the exact color of the bass;

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 2:04 pm 

That's more like it. It is a bit red, but I agree with Andrew - I've seen them this colour before as well. Should be fairly easy to get an aftermarket job if you're that fussed though. It's a matter of personal taste I guess.

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 2:39 pm 

I thought with Left Hand Bass versions not being such a high volume production item it would be quite easy for them to have fitted these 'Red' Tort Pickguards instead of Brown Tort in order to get rid of some old stock!

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 2:46 pm 

Having a pickguard you don't like is easily enough fixed. I remember the first time someone posted his new lefty USA Jazz last year on Talkbass; you could clearly see the three badly mismatched pieces of the body through the burst. I was very disappointed to see Fender do that, especially at the prices they sell them for. At least your body is pretty to look at.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 3:11 pm 

danomite64 wrote:
I remember the first time someone posted his new lefty USA Jazz last year on Talkbass; you could clearly see the three badly mismatched pieces of the body through the burst. I was very disappointed to see Fender do that, especially at the prices they sell them for. At least your body is pretty to look at.

Yes the wood isn't too bad, might have been a slightly more attractive woodgrain had they made it in Ash like Fender do with the Sunburst Strats instead of Alder? It's a pretty good bass all round though and the pickguard is only cosmetic after all, and as has been said there seems to be quite a variance in these.

The cross us Lefties have to bear is that a lot of things have to be bought unseen (or unplayed even) so to find a proper Brown Tort Pickguard may be difficult to buy in the knowledge that you are getting exactly what you want. :|