LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently May 8th, 2024, 4:22 am

Post subject: Ibanez
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 10:03 am 

I just remembered how pjmuck remarked a couple of times how Ibanez don't really promote their range of lefties, and how it's sometimes hard to tell what models are available lefthanded and what models aren't, when I saw this:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/eu/products/Lef ... index.html

They've listened ;)

I do think the AGB200 is missing though.

Post subject: Re: Ibanez
PostPosted: July 6th, 2009, 6:46 pm 

Not to mention the SRX models and a few SR models

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 9:48 am 

All current lefty SR models are listed. You're right about the SRX350L though.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 10:35 am 

I haven't had GAS for a guitar in a long time.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 11:31 am 

I have three SR800's. Why do I want that 300? :mrgreen:

Hey Jeroen, are you the guy selling the lefty Roadstar on Arni's site? I'd love to get that bass.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 12:37 pm 

That white RB850? Nope, that's not mine. I do know the seller though, I've visited him once when he was selling an ATK300. I also played that Vox Humana custom that kinda resembles a Status, but I didn't really like it. He didn't have the RB850 yet back then. I wonder what it sounds like, with these two big humbuckers.

If you can read Japanese: http://www.geocities.jp/visrds/ibzrb850.htm
(otherwise, just enjoy the pics ;) )

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 12:40 pm 

danomite64 wrote:
I have three SR800's. Why do I want that 300? :mrgreen:

Hey Jeroen, are you the guy selling the lefty Roadstar on Arni's site? I'd love to get that bass.

I do understand your point about the 300, but I played and i happened to like it. but those 800s must be better than the 700? ;)

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 2:33 pm 

Jeroen wrote:
That white RB850? Nope, that's not mine. I do know the seller though, I've visited him once when he was selling an ATK300. I also played that Vox Humana custom that kinda resembles a Status, but I didn't really like it. He didn't have the RB850 yet back then. I wonder what it sounds like, with these two big humbuckers.

I used to have a few; the pickup cases look like big humbuckers, but the magnets were arranged in the P-bass style (the one in your link is an older version that has the full humbuckers). They sounded real nice; like I've said before, the Roadstar made me quit playing my '83 Precision totally, and knocked my '78 Jazz down to being used about 10% of the time.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2009, 2:39 pm 

Rebel wrote:
I do understand your point about the 300, but I played and i happened to like it. but those 800s must be better than the 700? ;)

That is my point; I played one and liked it too. The body's very sleek, has a great neck with those thick walnut or wenge streamers, and it has soapbars and a different preamp, so maybe it'd stand out as it's own thing. I don't know about the 700's; they didn't make them lefty, so I've never tried one.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2009, 8:11 am 

I actually tried a 700, It was like any other Ibanez SR you'd expect, the only twist was that it was much faster than it's predecessor (big word for me :lol: ) the 500. the only bad thing about it was it was a little bit heavier than the 500 and 300. If i had a chance though, i would take the 700 neck on the 500 body ;) 8-)

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 7:16 am 

A lower type number does not imply it is a predecessor of an Ibanez model with a higher number, it's just positioned lower in the model range and the market, and thus more affordable. There have been various SR300's, SR500's and so on through the years, and even models with the same number have changed massively through the years. Take the 500 for example, the current issue has a mahogany body and a 5-piece laminated wenge and bubinga neck, with the Bartolini MK 1 preamp and soapbar pickups. The previous SR500 had a soft maple body without the carved edges, a 3-piece maple neck with rosewood board, and active Ibanez PJ-pickups and was a completely different beast :)

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 11:37 am 

oh ok, i understand now, i always viewed it that way because everytime i see SRs in my books, they all look upgraded as the number goes up. that totally helps my perception, thanks Jeroen. 8-) btw, I have an SR300L on the way to my house, I will write a review of it and post some pics when i get it, it's due to arrive at the store on July 18th-20th :)

PostPosted: July 19th, 2009, 5:29 pm 

Ok, got some bad news... It turns out I got an email from the store last night saying that My bass was on back order :x They said that the bass was in high demand, which i think is a load of crap because they don't really have any lefties come into the store to begin with, now I have to wait up to 30 days for the 300 to come in.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 5:12 am 

Got an update about the 300, It's arriving today. I will be going down to my grandparents house to pick it up. I have heard soundclips of it and I will tell you guys that it sounds like a combo of the P and J Basses, but it's the new one and that EQ sounds like a dream (Lows and mids of a P, punchy slappy highs of a J) will post more when I go 8-)

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 7:29 am 
Site Admin

Rebel wrote:
Got an update about the 300, It's arriving today. I will be going down to my grandparents house to pick it up. I have heard soundclips of it and I will tell you guys that it sounds like a combo of the P and J Basses, but it's the new one and that EQ sounds like a dream (Lows and mids of a P, punchy slappy highs of a J) will post more when I go 8-)

Congratulations on the new bass man.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2009, 1:12 pm 

Ok, I said I'd post pix but I'll do that later. Right now, I wanna get the review thing off my back, To sum it all up; Ibanez does it again. The SR300L is no exception to the Soundgear family staying true to the original design concept; fast neck, versatile tone, comfortable feel. I found alot of comfort while playing some of my band's tunes with a mix of both Zeppelin and Iron Maiden as well as The Who. That EQ, while a little shaky if your new to Active EQs it became really easy to control once I learned it. The 5 Piece neck plays like a dream sliding right through my hands. the black chrome hardware dont look too bad either with it's sparkling back paintjob, the pictures on the website don't do it justice at all, the funny thing is is that the EX pickups are so powerful, you'll forget that theyre not Bartolinis. to me, the bass is flawless. I will say though that it is not as fast as the 500 or the 700.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 7:23 am 

Oh btw, I was on their website recently, and to give everyone hope, Ibanez is resurrecting the Musician. It's as Beautiful as the 80s models, keep your fingers crossed for a lefty reissue :)

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 8:54 am 

Do you mean the custom shop 30th anniversary Musician? They're only making a few of them (15 to be exact), no lefties. Plus, they're very, very expensive. Geez, after your stupid Red Rickenbacker debacle, I would have expected you to try to avoid further misinformation.......

http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/Serie ... ed_Edition

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 10:53 am 

I know I know I screwed up... again. I forgot to delete my post after I read it on the website is all :oops: I have a guy workin at my house right now so I was a little busy (our garage motor broke) :idea: I'll be a lil bit more careful next time.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 5:04 pm 

...and it's not quite as pretty as the old ones either. It's waaaaay over the top :|