LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:51 pm

Post subject: RIP Mike Lull
PostPosted: February 14th, 2020, 11:11 pm 

Just heard the news that Mike passed away. So sad. My M5V has been my one and only for the past 7 years and is my favorite bass I've ever had in all my 30+ years of playing, my bandleader dubbed it 'The Beast'. :(

Post subject: Re: RIP Mike Lull
PostPosted: February 15th, 2020, 12:55 am 

:( I never met a Lull instrument I didn't like. A superb luthier. RIP Mike

PostPosted: February 16th, 2020, 6:35 am 
Site Admin

Sad news. I'd always hoped to visit his shop one day.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2020, 5:32 am 

When I decided to sell many of my guitar and basses, the Mike Lull was the only newer bass I was going to keep as it is just a great bass. Mike will be missed.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2020, 11:30 pm 

So sad. I live in Seattle and Mike has worked on my basses. I'll never forget when I first brought in my 68 P bass about 20 years ago and he personally wanted to work on it he was so excited to see it!! RIP Mike. :-(

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 11:49 am 

Very sad indeed. After all the bass hoarding and compulsive buying/selling I did over the years, I only placed two custom orders in my whole life, and those two were Lulls. One I sold, (don't even remember why, it was a fantastic bass) and the other one got stolen.

I just found this video of me playing one of them, almost 10 years ago already... :shock: (Did I sell this to you, Bob Jones?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmvrM5JFX_8

PostPosted: February 24th, 2020, 7:30 pm 

r.i.p. Mike. Sad news indeed

PostPosted: February 26th, 2020, 5:58 am 

Hey Carlos, Yes I purchased your Mike Lull Jazz and I loved it, shortly after that I got my Mike Lull P and that is my main bass. I remember I sold the Mike Lull Jazz back to you then later you purchased by Gretsch Guitar. In short the Mike Lull Jazz was great but I found out I am more of P bass and my Mike Lull P will be my take to the grave bass.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2020, 3:23 am 

Update posted from the GM today:

In this shared time of grieving for our friend and mentor Mike Lull, I have been asked on a daily basis the same question: is the shop staying open? I want to state in a public way that the answer is unequivocally, YES. In fact, we have great plans for the future of Mike Lull's Guitar Works and Custom Guitars.

Every great company has a great leader, and every great leader knows that building a top-rate brand is done by a team, not an individual alone. While the loss of Mike will be felt deeply every day, fortunately for all of us Mike was always incredibly generous with his knowledge and mentor-ship and saw it as his duty to teach others, especially while doing work under his name.

Mike Lull Guitar Works will continue onward in every aspect including our Luthier work and manufacturing of high-end custom guitars, all through the lens Mike showed us. We will also continue to be a local and family-owned business. It has long been planned that Mike’s son, Spencer, would join the company some day. This plan now has been accelerated and Spencer will be moving from Florida back to Bellevue in March and joining our staff as the Director of Sales and Marketing. We are all excited about the addition of Spencer and his desire to continue building a legacy company.

I first met Mike in 1985 where like many folks, I was allowed to hang out at his shop for hours on end, day after day, just playing music and talking guitars. I became Mike’s very first Luthier apprentice in 1988 for about two years before heading off to tour in bands for several years. I came back to work with Mike ten years ago as his General Manager and have enjoyed spending every day with him, furthering our cause together of great guitars, great friendships, and a great work ethic to provide the best quality service in this industry.

Mike was an absolute gem of a human and I am personally as committed as ever, along with our entire amazingly talented staff, to continuing Mike's legacy and making him proud of every instrument that leaves this shop, now and for generations to come.

Peace in music,

Paul Schuster

PostPosted: February 27th, 2020, 3:30 am 

There’s hope for me yet! Having lived in Portland for almost 15 years, I always hoped to drive up to Mikes shop and drool/ one day order a bass. Then I had kids, and moved to Taiwan.. hopefully when I come back I can make that pilgrimage.. :)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2020, 11:37 am 

Good to hear the company will continue. . . I mostly dealt with Paul when I placed my orders and he was always the nicest guy.

Bob, I remember all now. . . :)

NoXX wrote:
Update posted from the GM today:

In this shared time of grieving for our friend and mentor Mike Lull, I have been asked on a daily basis the same question: is the shop staying open? I want to state in a public way that the answer is unequivocally, YES. In fact, we have great plans for the future of Mike Lull's Guitar Works and Custom Guitars.

Every great company has a great leader, and every great leader knows that building a top-rate brand is done by a team, not an individual alone. While the loss of Mike will be felt deeply every day, fortunately for all of us Mike was always incredibly generous with his knowledge and mentor-ship and saw it as his duty to teach others, especially while doing work under his name.

Mike Lull Guitar Works will continue onward in every aspect including our Luthier work and manufacturing of high-end custom guitars, all through the lens Mike showed us. We will also continue to be a local and family-owned business. It has long been planned that Mike’s son, Spencer, would join the company some day. This plan now has been accelerated and Spencer will be moving from Florida back to Bellevue in March and joining our staff as the Director of Sales and Marketing. We are all excited about the addition of Spencer and his desire to continue building a legacy company.

I first met Mike in 1985 where like many folks, I was allowed to hang out at his shop for hours on end, day after day, just playing music and talking guitars. I became Mike’s very first Luthier apprentice in 1988 for about two years before heading off to tour in bands for several years. I came back to work with Mike ten years ago as his General Manager and have enjoyed spending every day with him, furthering our cause together of great guitars, great friendships, and a great work ethic to provide the best quality service in this industry.

Mike was an absolute gem of a human and I am personally as committed as ever, along with our entire amazingly talented staff, to continuing Mike's legacy and making him proud of every instrument that leaves this shop, now and for generations to come.

Peace in music,

Paul Schuster