The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 9:43 pm

Post subject: Re: Coming Soon: Project '13
PostPosted: August 6th, 2014, 9:18 pm 
His Majesty
His Majesty

Closure!

But I've come full circle...

The Jazz did not happen. Well, it almost happened but, neck-wise, I'm just not a jazz basser. (I tried!)

I think that the previous 10 years I've put in on P's has just really sunk in. I'm simply acclimated.

This is not a judgment call on P vs. J or anything like that....just simply I've become that used to the P feel (neck).

It's a neck thang....

more details later.

excited. relieved. satisfied.

PS. on an unrelated note: I'm now SVT-less

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 8:12 am 

Sorry to hear the Jazz thing didn't work out for you. What, if anything, did you replace the SVT with?

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 11:38 am 
Site Admin

AzWhoFan wrote:
Sorry to hear the Jazz thing didn't work out for you. What, if anything, did you replace the SVT with?

I want to know too....

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 8:58 pm 
His Majesty
His Majesty

AzWhoFan wrote:
What, if anything, did you replace the SVT with?.

The short story on my prized SVT:

A fellow from N. California (Silicon Valley I suppose?; he told me neighborhood but I can't remember exactly but not S.F. but likely close by based on his employer that sounded internettish) tracked me down via old TB posts. He said he was flying w/ boss for business on the company plane from CA to somewhere in NY/NJ and would be renting a car to pick up two SVTs that he has always wanted. One of the SVTs he said was at a GC in NJ and he told me it was the nicest one he had ever seen and it was a '71/'72.

The other he said was mine and he would be driving from NY to TN to buy for a figure that I'm embarrassed to print. So I said sure....bring cash for that much and OK.

At this point I thought this was extremely unlikely to happen and did not think it would actually come to pass. (Flying cross-country, renting car to drive like 750 miles???) That is not to say I did not take the money talk/selling my amp part seriously because I did. I was completely OK with the deal based on his figure and my terms.

Fast-forward a month later, he calls me from NJ to ask if he can pick up my amp? I say if you have the money then come get it. He says OK. Still thinking this is bogus I say call me when you hit Nashville. He says OK.

The NEXT DAY at lunch he calls and shows.

This part I sh*t you not! He's in a Prius! A Toyota electric hybrid tiny hatchback thing. I'm like WTF!?!

And get this....

Already in it is a '72ish "Blueline" SVT AND matching 8x10 cab w/dolly. And sure enough it looks every bit as nice as mine....like 9.5 outta 10 kinda nice.

I was surprised but well compensated.

F'n weird in a lot of ways.

He peels off the money and asks if I think we can get it to fit in the Prius. I'm immediately thinking there's no way in hell that can work but let me tell you right now!!

Two SVTs with 8x10s and dollies will fit (w/driver) into a Prius.

I've seen some crazeee sh*t this year.....

And to answer the question: I've not replaced it yet. I'm making do with my '52 Voice of Music model 160. Although I now can get literally whatever. 3 or 4 B15's, 2 or 3 lesser SVTs, coupla HiWatts, etc. Just crazee...

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 9:19 pm 
His Majesty
His Majesty

AzWhoFan wrote:
Sorry to hear the Jazz thing didn't work out for you.

Still love everything about the Jazz (the sound and the feeling). Heck I had a super nice one years ago and loved it sooo much. Missed it so much it triggered this whole dramatic, drawn out soap opera! :oops:

No negative complaints on Jazzes from me.

But recently, when I would put one in my hands I just felt an issue with the narrowness/thinness from the nut to the 3rd or 4th fret. Just distracted me. It shouldn't! But it does. I should be able to adjust but I can't; older now and more set in my ways? Maybe I could if just switched to the Jazz only and got all gung-ho about it. But as a mainly one bass dude that would be a challenge.

I've just grown used to a little more neck in my hands. (I like a 1 5/8" it seems) And, no, I don't have big or small hands. Just average.

But down in the half, 1st, 2nd positions I just seem to swallow up the circumference of the neck and feel like I have to laser pin-point in on the strings as the spacing is so close and it leaves me crampy.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2014, 7:59 am 

KingOfAmps wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:
Sorry to hear the Jazz thing didn't work out for you.
.... I've just grown used to a little more neck in my hands. (I like a 1 5/8" it seems) And, no, I don't have big or small hands. Just average.

But down in the half, 1st, 2nd positions I just seem to swallow up the circumference of the neck and feel like I have to laser pin-point in on the strings as the spacing is so close and it leaves me crampy.

I'm 100% with you. it's the main reason I don't own a Jazz.