LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 4:55 pm

Post subject: Early fender precision questions
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2023, 3:01 pm 

For some time I've wanteda birth year precision bass. Lately I've been looking more and more. I dont know too much as far as what was made lefty in the early years p bass wise. I've seen a few examples from different years.

One thing I wonder, can a bass be Actually dated to a particular year? I kmow different parts are dated and sometimes the pots don't match the other parts for the date.

I get the impression that there are more general than specific to the year.

Lastly, other Than the obvious places, where so I look for one?

Post subject: Re: Early fender precision questions
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2023, 5:35 pm 

It’s kind of a “Ship of Theseus” problem. If all of the components can be traced back to a single year of manufacture, then, yes. Or, you could say the year of the bass is the year it was assembled. I don’t know how this could be verified, though. You could say the year of the bass is the year of its youngest component. Going further, you could count some components as less significant than others. Then you can say the year of the bass is the year of its youngest significant component. Say everything was made in 1977, except the tone cap was replaced in 1998. Are you going to say the bass is a 1998? No. Who cares when the tone cap was made?

This gets even more muddy with bolt-on instruments. If a neck-through body/neck was made in 1969 (like this empty shell of a Rick with a cracked neck for $3500 https://reverb.com/item/61274871-rare-1969-lefty-rickenbacker-4001-bass-original-mapleglo-w-checkerboard-binding-restoration-project :lol:), you would probably call it a ‘69, regardless of the electronics. But the neck and body are significant components by any standard. What if the body and neck were made in different years? You would probably ignore a re-fret, but if the frets are original and in good shape, that would be bonus points for that year, right?

It’s a deep philosophical question and I have had a fair amount of beer so I feel like I have said a lot of words and did not answer the question and now understand why I don’t get invited to parties. :lol:

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

Post subject: Re: Early fender precision questions
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2023, 5:38 pm 

The year of the youngest component as my esteemed colleague SHDM states is generally the standard, in my experience.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.