LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:21 am

Post subject: Which bass should I buy next?
PostPosted: November 14th, 2021, 1:36 pm 

Yes, it's the million dollar question! :)

OK, so I really like playing bass. I have a Hofner Ignition (with flatwounds) and a Sire Marcus Miller U5 PJ-bass (with roundwounds) atm.
Both short scale, cause I like that.

Now I know that I can spend the upcoming years making music with these two great instruments without buying anything new. But, as most of you probably know, it's fun to look at new gear, and make future plans.

So, what kind of bass would be an addition (or an upgrade) to the ones listed above?

I'm not a heavy metal kinda guy, but besides that I'm pretty open minded to all kinds of basses. I have preference for short scales and 4-string instruments, but I don't want to limit myself too much... especially because the market for left handed players is somewhat limited.

Money is not an issue in this stadium :)

Post subject: Re: Which bass should I buy next?
PostPosted: November 14th, 2021, 2:53 pm 

What are your specific needs and requirements? Are you just a bedroom hobbyist or do you have an actual need in a band or live situation?

I'd say you're missing a Jazz something or something with a more modern, hi fi sound. If you want to stick to short scale (and you like Sires), perhaps a U5 when they're available? And if you're not tied to short scale, then perhaps a Stingray (Or Sterling by Ernie Ball).

PostPosted: November 14th, 2021, 4:16 pm 

A G&L Fallout might be a good choice. Very different from your other basses, and you can get the tribute version which is pretty reasonable. Very cool pickups in these.

The Spector Bantam would be another cool one.

PostPosted: November 14th, 2021, 5:49 pm 

All of them. Buy all of them :mrgreen:

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2021, 2:07 am 

pjmuck wrote:
What are your specific needs and requirements? Are you just a bedroom hobbyist or do you have an actual need in a band or live situation?

I'd say you're missing a Jazz something or something with a more modern, hi fi sound. If you want to stick to short scale (and you like Sires), perhaps a U5 when they're available? And if you're not tied to short scale, then perhaps a Stingray (Or Sterling by Ernie Ball).

I already own the U5 (mentioned in startpost). It's my main bass atm. Stingray seems to be a great option, they look nice as well.
I'm somehwat in between hobby and pro btw. I create my own tracks, release records and sometimes play live as well (live I play keys atm)

tim wrote:
A G&L Fallout might be a good choice. Very different from your other basses, and you can get the tribute version which is pretty reasonable. Very cool pickups in these.

The Spector Bantam would be another cool one.

G&L Fallout is a great bass, I love the red color. I was a bit worried with the weight. Never heard of the Spector Bantam so I'll look that up, thx.

Meanwhile I stumbled on the Gibson Les Paul Tribute bass which also seems pretty neat.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2021, 4:25 am 

https://reverb.com/item/46872433-left-h ... llout-bass

H/t Paulo.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2021, 8:56 am 

At one time I had 35+ basses but in reality only played 5 or 6 consistently but it was really fun to collect and they only go up in value so when kids when to college it was easy to sell for college money. I kept the few that were not the most valuable or best playing but kept the first bass (1980 Ric) and a few that sounded great, travel well ect.

So when buying the next bass I suggest not having any goals, just look at what is out there! then if something looks great and right price range consider it. For me I saw Fender Jazz MIJ modified with Stacked Knobs in vintage color. It was a great bass and so happy I got it. If I had goals for a specific I never would have seen it or considered it.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2021, 10:02 am 

I like that advice :D

PostPosted: November 18th, 2021, 4:14 am 

Yep, the "buy to try" approach. I do that too, I buy used basses I would never be able to try in a store and when I like them they get to stay. Otherwise I sell them on without a loss.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2021, 10:45 am 

Jeroen wrote:
Yep, the "buy to try" approach. I do that too, I buy used basses I would never be able to try in a store and when I like them they get to stay. Otherwise I sell them on without a loss.

Great approach! I like that.

Thanks guys

PostPosted: November 18th, 2021, 11:32 am 

That's basically what I've been doing these past seven years or so. I flipped a lot of basses and it's been fun.

The hazard is the situation I'm in now, where all my basses are winners and I don't want to part with any, even though it's more than I can play.

But I still make a point of cycling through them, changing the types of songs I work on to suit each one. The only one truly getting neglected is the acoustic in my avatar.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2021, 12:20 pm 

tim wrote:
That's basically what I've been doing these past seven years or so. I flipped a lot of basses and it's been fun.

The hazard is the situation I'm in now, where all my basses are winners and I don't want to part with any, even though it's more than I can play.

But I still make a point of cycling through them, changing the types of songs I work on to suit each one. The only one truly getting neglected is the acoustic in my avatar.

I did the same with synthesizers before I started playing bass. Now I have enough synths and there's no need for expansion anymore. With the bass guitar, a whole new world has opened... so you can always decide to learn another instrument and start the whole journey again :)

PostPosted: February 10th, 2022, 2:04 pm 

You like short scale?

And money is not an issue?

Easy.

Alembic.

And/or Rick Turner.

There's a couple of Alembic Epic's on reverb, as well as a 1981 Rick Turner Model 1 (which you shouldn't pay more than $4500 for)

PostPosted: March 11th, 2022, 8:02 am 

Any of the above suggestions is a good one.

I had a Hofner HCT, and it was a fantastic bass, but it sounded completely different from the German-born variety. If money's not the issue, you might find that a German Höfner is so different from the Ignition that you'd have something totally new in your collection.
_________________________----

I have settled on the 7 basses I own. Except......I'm going to add a big old double bass at some point. And that's it......

Seriously, I have 11 guitars and 7 basses. More would be useless to me. I have to "feel" for the guitar, and I couldn't do so with any more than I have.

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6