LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:04 am

Post subject: Fender AmPro Precision
PostPosted: September 16th, 2018, 7:07 am 

About three months ago, I bought a new Fender AmPro Precision bass, olympic white, mint pickguard, rosewood fb. I expected it to be good, but I didn't expect it to be as good as it is. I already own an AmStd Jazz, a Ric 4001, and a Hofner HCT, but the Precision is my go to now. My band plays classic rock, and the Precision is just perfect for it. I recently bought an Ampeg V 4B all tube head and the Ampeg 410 HLF cab--it sounds great with all of my basses.

Anyone else play a Precision?

https://on.soundcloud.com/VajA4QW4p88JPBed6

Post subject: Re: Fender AmPro Precision
PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 5:19 am 

I bought a 1980 Ric Brand New and played it for 16 years straight, then in 1996, I got lucky as a local paper that was focused on selling stuff (The Trading Times) had a 1983 Fender Precision bass for sale. It was in like new condition, the person purchased it and never learned. I got it from him and loved it. Three electric basses that have unique sounds are Fender, Ric and Hofner. I love my Fender P and my Ric.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 6:15 am 

The American Professionals are great basses

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 10:01 am 

I'm a Fender P bass guy going back to 68 when I bought one of the first Telecaster basses. It was a brand new righty. I took it home took it apart and made a left handed mahogany body. Have only used P basses ever since. I have a few Jazz basses but never gig with them. Love the solid sound, simplicity and versatility of the P bass. They just work best for me.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 2:30 pm 

I have a 1978, thin Maple neck, with flats... plays great! Link to original post... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7606&hilit=1978+p+bass

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 2:40 pm 

I do use P basses on occasion and I own a few of them. The two I use most are my '73 P bass with maple neck/LaBella flats and a 2015 Am Std P w rosewood neck/rounds. I am curious about the Am Pro P vs. Am Std, because of the '63 neck profile, but my Am Std P sounds pretty great and I can't imagine the Pro being significantly better. But I just don't care for Fender's modern C profile and I've been on an endless search to find a B rosewood neck to match the '73 because the 70's B necks are easily my favorite P necks. (chunky 7-1/2" radius yet narrow and comfy at the nut). I was hoping the new MIM Player bass would have a chunkier neck, but it's the same kind of flat modern profile.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2018, 5:58 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
I do use P basses on occasion and I own a few of them. The two I use most are my '73 P bass with maple neck/LaBella flats and a 2015 Am Std P w rosewood neck/rounds. I am curious about the Am Pro P vs. Am Std, because of the '63 neck profile, but my Am Std P sounds pretty great and I can't imagine the Pro being significantly better. But I just don't care for Fender's modern C profile and I've been on an endless search to find a B rosewood neck to match the '73 because the 70's B necks are easily my favorite P necks. (chunky 7-1/2" radius yet narrow and comfy at the nut). I was hoping the new MIM Player bass would have a chunkier neck, but it's the same kind of flat modern profile.

If you can find a MIJ PB70 Reissue , the neck profile would fit your bill. 7.25 radius, 1.6" @ the nut and a comfy 70's neck profile. Plus it has an alder body and weighs about 8.5 lbs. I picked one up last year for $800. modded with a Fralin pick up and vintage threaded saddle bridge. It's become my go to P bass.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 5:20 am 

PostPosted: September 18th, 2018, 5:27 am 

jersey bluesdude wrote:
pjmuck wrote:

If you can find a MIJ PB70 Reissue , the neck profile would fit your bill. 7.25 radius, 1.6" @ the nut and a comfy 70's neck profile. Plus it has an alder body and weighs about 8.5 lbs. I picked one up last year for $800. modded with a Fralin pick up and vintage threaded saddle bridge. It's become my go to P bass.

Thanks! Now I've got 2 rare things on my bucket list I have to try to find. :lol:

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 4:37 am 

Well, I've been playing it for about 6 months now, and I like it more all the time. Recently I started thinking about getting a Music Man. They're great basses, but I decided that I'm not really looking for anything else. I couldn't be happier with the sound and feel of my P Bass.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 6:54 am 

ch willie wrote:
Well, I've been playing it for about 6 months now, and I like it more all the time. Recently I started thinking about getting a Music Man. They're great basses, but I decided that I'm not really looking for anything else. I couldn't be happier with the sound and feel of my P Bass.

Yep, I'm a recent convert too. I've always had a P bass around for "that" sound, but have always favored the J. I had been using my Sire V7 J as my main live bass, but recently the band's soundman suggested I bring a P for a show to see how it sounded. So I did, and he loved it, suggesting I bring it all the time now. Something about how a P sits in a full band mix, as almost as an extension of the kick drum, it just works great. I thought I was getting there already with my neck pickup and a bit of muting on my V7, but it doesn't quite nail the same thump and attack. I also find a P forces you to simplify your playing because it's not as easy to fly around the neck on vs. a J. I mean you can, technically, but there's a perceived sonic lag, since the notes don't quite follow or respond as quickly due to the thumpiness.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 9:40 am 
Site Admin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlsSC400pM

Interesting "Scott's Bass Lessons" clip about using P basses in studio.

I really like the look of the American Pro P bass and would love a white one, but I have enough P basses already. I'm a big fan.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2019, 10:19 pm 

I only have one P-bass. It’s a 2014 red American Standard with an aftermarket mi t green pick guard. Looks killer. Last year just for fun, I replaced the factory custom shop 60’s pickup and wiring harness with an EMG Geezer kit. Super easy as the pickup comes with solderless pots and jack. Wow what a difference! The pots are right handed so they turn backwards but they have such a nice usable taper. The tone control is so usable now where the stock setup is like an on/off switch with zero taper. The pickup is very sweet but not scooped. I never would have looked twice at one of these but I have a buddy who is obsessed with P basses and he raves about the Gezzer upgrade.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 4:12 am 

My first Fender Precision bass, I bought from Sam Ash Music, on W. 48th. St., in Manhattan.. brand new, 1973. It had the following features, and 'an upcharge of 10% for each one. It had both metal covers, weatherstripping mute under the bridge cover, lower tug bar, and a set of Fender teal green silk flats on it. serial number was 373711. Yeah, all from memory. I still have the white guard. Don't ask me what I did to the bass. I'm ashamed of myself.

Black custom color
Maple Neck
Left handed
Left Handed Case

It was $321.00 out the door!

Currently, I own four Precision basses.. two are parts basses, which have some Fender parts on them.
Two are Fender Japan '62 re-issue, one in Lake Placid Blue, one Candy Apple Red. Both of them have basswood bodies, and sound killer. Yeah, I know a lot of players say it is inferior to Alder and Ash. The other two p-basses- one has an Alder body, and one has a Swamp Ash body, and trust me- when you're playing them, they all sound like great, typical Fender p-basses. It's all in the proper setup, selection of mods- if any, and the player's hands.
The fit and finish on all my Fender Japan basses- is top notch.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 7:32 am 

I don't remember ever using my P Bass (1996 Std Candy Apple Red Am Std) and thinking, "this bass does not sound good today" or "does not work in this mix" or "does not work for this style of music".
In other hand, I feel that way about every other type of basses I have owned.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 11:14 am 

Something about P Basses, though, I just find difficult to control and play. I suspect it's a combination of the PUP placement, my technique as it relates to playing P basses, etc. I find them prone to, "clickety clacketyness" (strings slapping against fretboard/frets is as audible as notes themselves). Rolling off the tone helps, but I've tried adjusting the neck, lowering the PUP, adjusting my plucking angle, position, etc. and little seems to help. In a full band mix, You don't really notice it, but alone jamming, it kind of drives me nuts. The nature of the beast, I guess.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2019, 3:37 pm 

PJ, I've had that problem with some basses, but I don't have that with the Precision. I get it more with my Jazz Bass, on which I've had to tweak the way I play. It's not a problem anymore, but the Jazz demands me to play it differently than I do the Precision.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2019, 8:53 am 

PJ, sounds like the only thing you haven't done is shave the frets down. Ever considered doing that? Maybe you need to look at P basses that use tiny fret wire?? Do they even exist LOL

PostPosted: January 12th, 2019, 5:23 am 

andrew wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRlsSC400pM

Interesting "Scott's Bass Lessons" clip about using P basses in studio.

I really like the look of the American Pro P bass and would love a white one, but I have enough P basses already. I'm a big fan.

That was a really interesting video. Thanks!

PostPosted: January 21st, 2019, 12:17 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Something about P Basses, though, I just find difficult to control and play. I suspect it's a combination of the PUP placement, my technique as it relates to playing P basses, etc. I find them prone to, "clickety clacketyness" (strings slapping against fretboard/frets is as audible as notes themselves). Rolling off the tone helps, but I've tried adjusting the neck, lowering the PUP, adjusting my plucking angle, position, etc. and little seems to help. In a full band mix, You don't really notice it, but alone jamming, it kind of drives me nuts. The nature of the beast, I guess.

Funny you should bring up the clickety clack. New sound engineer last Friday howled about that very thing on my Jazz. I told him welcome to the world of live music and turn the F'n de-esser on. Everyone thought that was funny except him. I remember when sound engineers were a little tougher.