LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 10:18 pm

Post subject: Looking for lefty stacked pots
PostPosted: December 4th, 2010, 12:22 pm 

I'm looking for some lefty stacked pots and I'm having a bit of trouble finding them. Can any of you internet wizards conjure some up?

Post subject: Re: Looking for lefty stacked pots
PostPosted: December 4th, 2010, 2:25 pm 

I didn't know there was lefty pots. My basses always had the "straight" one's, except for a '89 japanese Jbass i had years ago with the pots working reverse. i thought it was just a different wiring... :? you never stop learning..

PostPosted: December 4th, 2010, 2:36 pm 

Yes, you can just wire them in reverse order when they're linear pots, but if they're logarithmic pots the taper will sound odd :)

PostPosted: December 4th, 2010, 4:38 pm 

on the occasions that I need them, I have my lefty stacked pots custom made. last batch I ordered came in around $50US each :shock: and took about a month for them to arrive

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 4th, 2010, 11:39 pm 

Rodent wrote:
on the occasions that I need them, I have my lefty stacked pots custom made. last batch I ordered came in around $50US each :shock: and took about a month for them to arrive

all the best,

R

Which company do you use to have your stacked pots custom made? I emailed CTS earlier today and am awaiting a reply. 50 bucks a pop (i'd need two) is pretty steep when I could just get regular stacked pots for like 6 bucks apiece, though I'm used to proper lefty pots that turn counter-clockwise. DILEMMA.

PostPosted: December 5th, 2010, 8:19 am 

regular stacked LINEAR pots would work just right if you want to go that route, but if you need a LOG taper pot because you use the pot in more than just the two extreme ends (on/off) you probably won't like reverse wiring a righty log taper pot

I talked to CTS last year at NAMM, and they are more than happy to make me a batch of them ... as long as I can meet their minimum order threshold. sorry, I don't need $1000US in lefty pots. so I have mine custom made by a friend in Texas as I have actual need. if you'd like to order one or more, drop me a PM and we can discuss the specifics

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 5th, 2010, 12:52 pm 

Thank you very much for the info, Rodent. At this time I don't think I can afford to spent 100 bucks on a couple of lefty pots, so I guess its time to compromise. Is it more important to be able to dial multiple specific blends of volume and tone, or do I want to avoid second-guessing which way to crank a knob every time I have to make an adjustment onstage?

I own four basses, but only actively play two of them. One is a P bass and it's knobs turn the wrong way (clockwise), and the other is the one I want to put stacked knobs on. So if both of them turned clockwise, I'm pretty sure I'd get used to it pretty fast.

Most of the stacked pots I'm seeing are being listed as Concentric pots. Are those linear or log taper?

PostPosted: December 5th, 2010, 12:58 pm 

Hello Rodent, I have been ordering pickups and preamps from Bestbassgear in NH for a while. They have sold to a company in SC and now when you call you do not get someone on the phone that is anything more than an order taker. The guy Evan who did the wiring and consulting tries to do it remotely now but won’t give you his phone number or respond anymore. So here is where I’m going with all this above which for me has actually turned into a dead end in my book.

I am a guy who often likes to change and try different pickups and preamps from time to time. I can put a pickup in or change a battery etc… but I need to order preamps pre wired for lefty because I know my limitations. This thread topic is perfect and I have a proposition for you that could possibly generate some income if you are so interested. I need a professional guy with expertise in wiring lefty and doing nice clean solders and connections that I can order or send say a Bartolini NTBT and have wired up lefty with the right Ohm pots and in the configuration I need for the correct pickups. I would even go as far to say I would ship the instrument to you or best scenario is I order pickups and preamps and have you do the wiring and send the preamp to me. Mr. Gravesbass and I have long discussions about this all the time and need someone who can help us. Brian who used to own Bestbassgear turned me on to “Knoble” pots as they work the best for switching to lefty. They have proven to work the best and tapper slowly and evenly like a righty does. Anyway I would pay for the new pots, preamp, shipping, and 40 to 50 for the wiring and more if needed and consults over the phone. I would love to give this small amount but much needed to you or another member here on leftybassist. I am actually in need of some work right this minute.

Friends and members it is my opinion that someone who can do this well and has knowledge of matching of pickups and preamps and can help guide someone looking for a certain tone possesses a true talent and skill. This is simply not going to radio Shack and buying a $15 soldering iron and going to town on a $3,000 instrument. I would be willing to pay for this service and even more than I was paying the guys at Bestbassgear for good service. Please conceder and respond your skill and knowledge is a valuable and much respected need for me that I personally would love to have direct contact with and would like to be able to use your services.

Oh yeh, one more thing I would like to talk to you about a lined fretless 5 string when you have the time too. Thank you, Thumbslam please let me know my personal email is thumbslam@comcast.net Cheers!!

PostPosted: December 5th, 2010, 3:29 pm 

This "lefty pots" thing is such a hassle that I have wired all my basses with righty pots. Once you get used to turning the knobs the other way, it doesn't make difference

PostPosted: December 5th, 2010, 3:46 pm 

Frenchy I have dealt with righty knobs when I have had to. The problem is I would rather have no knobs. My ultimate bass would have a overall volume and an on/off switch but since many of the basses I own are loaded with knobs the thing that troubles me is first of all why do so many builders have the knobs come so close to the neck pickup? There is so much room to keep it back away from the pickups and strings. Fender has that right on for sure I just haven’t played one yet I loved but that’s another story.

My styles vary greatly so it requires me to play with a pick, sometimes slap and sometimes digging in with fingers and I occasionally bump knobs and when they turn downward from the front of the knob and the one in the front is almost always the volume knob I inadvertently turn it up. When I concede to the worlds right handed designed way of doing things then I accidentally turn the volume down in the middle of a song and well that’s much worse for me than up...

PostPosted: December 6th, 2010, 12:36 am 

thumbslam wrote:
Hello Rodent, I have been ordering pickups and preamps from Bestbassgear in NH for a while. They have sold to a company in SC and now when you call you do not get someone on the phone that is anything more than an order taker. The guy Evan who did the wiring and consulting tries to do it remotely now but won’t give you his phone number or respond anymore. So here is where I’m going with all this above which for me has actually turned into a dead end in my book.

I am a guy who often likes to change and try different pickups and preamps from time to time. I can put a pickup in or change a battery etc… but I need to order preamps pre wired for lefty because I know my limitations. This thread topic is perfect and I have a proposition for you that could possibly generate some income if you are so interested. I need a professional guy with expertise in wiring lefty and doing nice clean solders and connections that I can order or send say a Bartolini NTBT and have wired up lefty with the right Ohm pots and in the configuration I need for the correct pickups. I would even go as far to say I would ship the instrument to you or best scenario is I order pickups and preamps and have you do the wiring and send the preamp to me. Mr. Gravesbass and I have long discussions about this all the time and need someone who can help us. Brian who used to own Bestbassgear turned me on to “Knoble” pots as they work the best for switching to lefty. They have proven to work the best and tapper slowly and evenly like a righty does. Anyway I would pay for the new pots, preamp, shipping, and 40 to 50 for the wiring and more if needed and consults over the phone. I would love to give this small amount but much needed to you or another member here on leftybassist. I am actually in need of some work right this minute.

Friends and members it is my opinion that someone who can do this well and has knowledge of matching of pickups and preamps and can help guide someone looking for a certain tone possesses a true talent and skill. This is simply not going to radio Shack and buying a $15 soldering iron and going to town on a $3,000 instrument. I would be willing to pay for this service and even more than I was paying the guys at Bestbassgear for good service. Please conceder and respond your skill and knowledge is a valuable and much respected need for me that I personally would love to have direct contact with and would like to be able to use your services.

Oh yeh, one more thing I would like to talk to you about a lined fretless 5 string when you have the time too. Thank you, Thumbslam please let me know my personal email is thumbslam@comcast.net Cheers!!

I think this post would have been more appropriate as a PM to Rodent.

PostPosted: December 6th, 2010, 6:38 pm 

Yeh, your right I just thought someone else might chime in on needing preamps wired up lefty too. I did PM I should have trimmed the fat off this sorry...