LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 15th, 2024, 9:37 pm

Post subject: ADSR's menagerie of lefties
PostPosted: March 19th, 2009, 10:36 pm 

Finally! an SCPB! The 2008 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Precision flipped around lefty.
Easy to flip, just turned the nut. No problem re-stringing lefty with TI Flats. Re-set the bridge action for the reversed strings and adjusted intonation without a hitch. Added Straplocks and the foam mute. It's very comfortable to play standing or seated. The controls sit up high and out of the way, I've gotten used to them.
The only modification is that I didn't like the thumbrest/tugbar location so I removed it and placed a flat circular plastic disc under the strings next to the pickup. The disc serves as a custom thumbrest for me. I am really diggin this bass! It's got the SCPB sound I was hoping for!

1999 Hot Rod P. My "go to" bass for more modern sounds, using round wounds.

Ultralight Hohner/Steinberger with roundwounds

Carvin Fretless with Roundwounds.
Never really got the hang of fretless but I keep it around anyway, ya never know!
I might sell it....or not

1967 Fender Precision with TI Flats. My old buddy, bought new in 1972 and almost as road battered as me. Only mods are straplocks, a brass nut, replaced tone control knob, and the foam mute. I rarely gig with it any more. It stays home as my practice bass. Lightweight and fits me like an old broken in pair of sneakers

2004 CIJ 57 P reissue. Bought from Ishibashi in Japan before Fender USA got all mean and grumpy about imports. TI Flats. Added straplocks, tugbar, a foam mute, and replaced the white pickguard with a Fender gold anodized guard which I reversed to fit lefty. This has been my main bass since I got it. Delivers old school motown thump by the truckload.

2001 AmSe Strat. Yeah, I know, it's not a bass, but I love to show it off. Ain't it hot? That's real flame maple, not foto-flame

Post subject: Re: ADSR's menagerie of lefties
PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 9:28 pm 

Some detail pics of the 67 Lefty P

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 6:23 pm 

I feel like I need a tetanus shot after looking at those closeup pics.

Awesome collection.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 10:56 am 

That is a great collection, I especially like the 67 Fender Precision

PostPosted: May 7th, 2009, 11:50 pm 

Rebel wrote:
That is a great collection, I especially like the 67 Fender Precision

:mrgreen: Thanks. I've had that bass since I was a kid. It's a great playing bass and very light. I've put it thru a lot as you can see and it has always served me well. I've used it for everything from bluegrass to punk/new wave. It stays at home now where I use it every day for practice. Once in a while I take it to a gig or a jam.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 3:58 pm 

you can never go wrong with a well broken in P Bass. I wish I had pics of my grandfather's 1966 Precision, but alas, it's righty.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 9:55 am 

i notice that alot of Precisions all have pieces of foam underneath the bridge, i am guessing that is used to mute the strings?

PostPosted: May 13th, 2009, 12:06 pm 

Rebel wrote:
i notice that alot of Precisions all have pieces of foam underneath the bridge, i am guessing that is used to mute the strings?

Exactly. With flats and a foam mute it really brings out the old school thump.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2009, 5:10 am 

Oh that's cool, I didn't know that. I've only seen a mute inside the bridge cover, or built into the bridge itself 8-)

PostPosted: June 9th, 2009, 11:58 am 

Just an update. This converted right handed Squier has turned out to be one killer of a bass. Plays great, sounds great, looks cool.
The only weak point I found was the output jack. The jack is on the side and recessed so you can't use a right angle plug. Not a problem playing right handed but for left handed play the cable is awkwardly located and also puts a strain on the cable and the jack. It was starting to get loose so I replaced the jack with a good switchcraft and changed the mounting plate to one that is not recessed so now it will accept a right angle plug. :idea: Vast improvement!!
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 8:55 am 

I've played that Squier at a store, and I'd have to say that it is awesome. the feel is very comfortable, a vintage Fender sound... I don't think you could get better with it... well... maybe if it was offered lefty

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 9:27 am 

Rebel wrote:
I don't think you could get better with it... well... maybe if it was offered lefty

You know I'm sort of digging the vibe of playing a reversed righty. It was you guys here who told me about Kieth Ferguson who played a righty SCPB turned around lefty. It looks kinda cool and the Squier balances OK and feels pretty natural for me. I suppose I'm rationalizing a bit, I admit if they made one as a true lefty I'd be there in a flash. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 10:34 am 

same here :mrgreen: i also have a righty turned lefty, but it's an Epiphone EB0. On it, I replaced the nut to lefty, changed around the tune o matic bridge (theyre really easy to convert), switched around the back strap peg, and removed the pickguard (i rest my thumb on the pickup an it got in the way of my playing), she's still in good condition. and i can never get enough of playing it. :)

PostPosted: June 10th, 2009, 11:28 am 

Rebel wrote:
same here :mrgreen: i also have a righty turned lefty, but it's an Epiphone EB0. On it, I replaced the nut to lefty, changed around the tune o matic bridge (theyre really easy to convert), switched around the back strap peg, and removed the pickguard (i rest my thumb on the pickup an it got in the way of my playing), she's still in good condition. and i can never get enough of playing it. :)

It's gotta be a symmetrical design for me to consider a flipped righty, unfortunately. Though Jimi Goodwing of my latest favorite band Doves makes it look pretty cool:

PostPosted: June 11th, 2009, 7:27 am 

The EB0 was actually my very first bass that i ever bought. I needed a low priced instrument so is settled on it, plus, i needed a bass that a deep cutaway on both horns so i can have access to all the frets.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2010, 11:16 am 

New addition: CIJ 2002 Blue floral P. Reversed nut, and added straplocks, switchcraft output jack and mounting plate, foam mute and a circular thumbrest. Re-strung lefty with TI flats.

This is my second SCPB righty converted for lefty play. Plays and feels even better than the Squier and sounds fantastic. I may try piccolo strings on the Squier out of curiosity.

Attachments:
File comment: CIJ 2002 blue floral P
blufloral2.jpg
blufloral2.jpg [ 220.4 KiB | Viewed 14928 times ]
PostPosted: January 26th, 2010, 11:27 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Rebel wrote:

It's gotta be a symmetrical design for me to consider a flipped righty, unfortunately. Though Jimi Goodwing of my latest favorite band Doves makes it look pretty cool:

Love that band, been into them for a few years. Cool to see another fan. And yeah that P looks cool reversed.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2010, 12:22 pm 

Here's my EB-O.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 9:58 am 

since we are talking about EB0's in this thread, i thought i would share mine.

I like the look of the EB0, and always was a little jealous of my right handed friends playing them. My son is learning via Xbox Rocksmith, and he is 10, and cannot handle a full sized bass like my music man 5 string knockoff, or my Jazz bass retro mod. So, i got an EB0 real cheap, in black lacquer. I flipped the strings, but the control pots were in the way of his arms, making strumming uncomfortable. SO, being a carpenter and wood worker, i decided on a full lefty conversion. I busted out the router and put in a new control cavity exactly like the original one but on the other side. Drilling to the neck pickup was going to prove tricky, so instead, i put the cover back on and left the pickup out, and routed in for a bridge pickup, hoping for a different/better sound than the original Epiphone EB0 fart bass sound. Having to repaint due to hole filing for control knobs, cavity, and pickguard, i decided to finish it inspired by the Epiphone SG Goth. I also moved the input jack off the face of the bass and onto the edge. it works fine, and my son is happy to have a cool bass to continue learning on. I enjoyed the conversion process as well. Fun! Us lefty bassists do not have the choices out there that the right handed market does, so, i had to make my own. lol. Cheers.

MusicMan Sterling 5 string knockoff in Natural

PostPosted: January 11th, 2014, 8:44 am 

that' awesome!