LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:12 pm

Post subject: L2000 Tribute refinish
PostPosted: February 7th, 2016, 8:32 pm 

Got this bass on CL, i used the same viper red paint i had from the Asat bass, but since this one was clear i had only 2 thin coats on it so you can still see the grain, so call it trans red? :P

Post subject: Re: L2000 Tribute refinish
PostPosted: February 8th, 2016, 7:28 am 

Very smooth. The grain shows through nicely. I remember the ASAT being bright red. This looks at bit orangish. Is that just the picture?

PostPosted: February 8th, 2016, 8:59 am 

Wow, man! That looks like it could be stock!

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2016, 10:28 am 

outstanding job!

PostPosted: February 8th, 2016, 11:12 am 

tim wrote:
Very smooth. The grain shows through nicely. I remember the ASAT being bright red. This looks at bit orangish. Is that just the picture?

Thanks guys!
Yep Tim it looks orangeish cause the wood was sort of yellow and there is not enough paint to darken up the red. Light red with the color of the wood made it look like that.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2016, 11:16 am 

Ah, that makes sense.

PostPosted: February 10th, 2016, 7:56 pm 

looks great!

PostPosted: February 10th, 2016, 8:10 pm 

great job paulo!!

PostPosted: February 11th, 2016, 3:55 am 

Looks fantastic!

PostPosted: February 11th, 2016, 4:55 pm 

Well done, and I like the orange-ish tint... Is there a clear-coat over the paint? If so, how many coats? Was the paint lightly sanded before the next coat was put on? The reason why I ask; I'm going to paint a bass body at some point, and am going to research body prep, etc. Thanks....

PostPosted: February 11th, 2016, 5:25 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
Well done, and I like the orange-ish tint... Is there a clear-coat over the paint? If so, how many coats? Was the paint lightly sanded before the next coat was put on? The reason why I ask; I'm going to paint a bass body at some point, and am going to research body prep, etc. Thanks....

First i light sanded the clear coat on the body with a red/brown pad just to take the shine off the clear coat, cleaned off with what i believe that was mineral spirits (there was a different name on the can like grease and dust remover) and two very thin coats where applied. I don't remember sanding the paint on this one cause there was no prep work and everything was smooth on this body. Two more coats of clear where applied on to the body, and 2 days after we sanded the clear with 1000 grit sand paper and a very little bit of water on a palm sander but only the flat surfaces. Then my friend buffed the entire body and as soon as i got home i applied some wax to it and started putting it together. I also have a Squier VM body refinished in fiesta red that came out amazing cause there was no prep to do at it, gonna post some pics soon!

PostPosted: February 11th, 2016, 6:58 pm 

So Paulo, the body already had a clear-coat on it... that is what I am curious about, because depending on a see-through finish such as yours, or actually painting the body, my feeling is the body needs to be sanded and sealed accordingly. I've painted cars in the past, but painting a bass body is going to be a very info-intensive research project for me to do it right...

I've always wanted to paint a bass with the paint color that was on my 1961 Cadillac Convertible... it's called "Pompeian Red", and has a fine metal-flake to it. If you remember the movie "My Cousin Vinnie" it's the same body-style/color I had (although mine was a '61, and the movie car was a '62 - they only made that body for two years...). Anyway, I have a jazz bass body, and want to paint it this color one day....

PostPosted: February 11th, 2016, 7:37 pm 

As recommended by Olivier, you can use these guys:
http://www.guitarpaintguys.com/solidcolorchart.html
I wanted to send the body for them but since i could use my friend's shop it wouldn't make sense for me unless it was a complex job. They do really nice work, check out their gallery!
http://www.guitarpaintguys.com/gallery.html

PostPosted: February 11th, 2016, 8:29 pm 

Thanks Paulo... I had forgotten about this business. For about $225-300, it might make better sense to have the pros do it for me!

PostPosted: February 13th, 2016, 7:21 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
Thanks Paulo... I had forgotten about this business. For about $225-300, it might make better sense to have the pros do it for me!

So I contacted the guys at guitarpaintguys, and got a speedy reply. They will mix up the custom paint I want, paint my jazz bass body, and include the shipping to Oahu, Hi, all for only $275. Sounds like a good deal to me! Will send it to them one day soon....

PostPosted: February 13th, 2016, 7:50 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:
fivebass52 wrote:

So I contacted the guys at guitarpaintguys, and got a speedy reply. They will mix up the custom paint I want, paint my jazz bass body, and include the shipping to Oahu, Hi, all for only $275. Sounds like a good deal to me! Will send it to them one day soon....

Cool!!! And that is a worry free investment!
I am currently working on a 70's JB body, i originally wanted to paint it seafoam green and couldn't find the paint locally so i went for surf green. The problem is, the body was so beat up they made a hole in order to fit a P pickup in the neck position so the pickguard wasn't covering that and i had my tech insert a piece of ash in there and then recut to fit a J pickup. Turns out i had not enough paint. So i decided to give a try at Guitar ReRanch and ordered the seafoam green from them. Also ordered sonic blue for a future project. We'll see how it'll turn out! :)