LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently June 3rd, 2024, 12:44 pm

Post subject: My small Lefty collection
PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 7:15 am 

greetings fellow lefty bassplayers. I was told about this board from some fellow leftys on a couple other boards, and I see their screennames in here now :)

I play lefty inverted like Jim Haslip or Jeff Schmidt, so I do have quite a collection of Jackson righty basses to add to the leftys over here since I can play them also. Nice thing about that is I can go into any guitar store and "feel out" any righthanded unit then order a lefty ( OBVIOUSLY they never have a lefty version on display ) -- or go and jam on a lefty normal, then pull down a righty and show the lefty-kids that there are people out here who can play both ways......inverted and normal.

there are more, but never made it to this picture taken a couple months ago.....
my main lefty player:

the first band I have EVER been in with another lefty player in 25 years !!!!
( who also likes Charvel/Jackson stuff ) :lol: :lol: --end of gig pic after quite a few beers --hahaha
here's a pic of us under a tent due to the rain at the Pittsburgh Marathon this year with me using my righty Kramer since I knew it was going to rain and I didn't want to get me Charvel wet:

Post subject: Re: My small Lefty collection
PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Cool collection, welcome to the board!

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 10:25 am 

thanks Andrew, ya my collection is not really "lefty" oriented, but they are all playable to me AS a lefty :)

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Definitely some cool lefties in the mix.

Did I see a couple vids of you playing on Youtube? If so, you should post them in our vid section.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2010, 11:54 am 

Welcome Bro! You are not alone, there are quite a few leftys here playing strung "upside down", and several of us have left handed and right handed basses too.

Post subject: Re: My small Lefty collection gets bigger this year!!!!
PostPosted: December 9th, 2010, 10:14 am 

well the small lefty collection is slowly taking over the righty collection...

I started out with 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 now a total of 6 leftys in the house.

2 Model 2 Charvels
1 Ibanez GSR200FML
1 Bently Series 10
1 Kramer 422SL
1 Warrior (Chinese copy)

some day ( beyond the rare rightys I'll keep around ) ,all the others will be replaced with LEFTYS!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

some current pics? sure why not...

the 1989 Bently Series10 matched PAIR

the Ibanez:

the Kramer:

the Warrior and spare Charvel:

and the main (lefty )player:

PostPosted: December 21st, 2010, 9:02 am 

Well I never saw one of these before :o :shock:

I sold off one of my rightys to get some cash and now the wait for delivery begins.
I did have a righty Forum for a while and always liked the neck and totally different tone compared to my charvels, so now I'll have one I won't look goofy playing.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 2:39 pm 

HI,I WAS SEARCHING THE WEB FOR SERIES10 BASSES,FOUND THIS SIGHT,SAW YOUR COLLECTION,FIRST THING I SAW WAS A BASS THAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SINCE 1990.IN LATE '89 MY STEP DAUGHTER & I GOT GUITARS,ME A 6 STRING,SHE GOT A NEW BENTLEY SERIES10 BASS WHITE/CRACKLE FINISH(LIKE YOURS).IT WAS HER PRIDE & JOY.ON OCT. 6,1990 SHE WAS KILLED,HER NEPHEW JUSTIN(FROM GREENSBURG AREA) CAME TO HER FUNERAL.HE WAS IN A BAND,SO I GAVE HIM HER BASS,WE HAVE LOST TOUCH SINCE THEN,HE TRAVELS ALOT.I WISH I WOULD HAVE KEPT THE BASS,BUT WOULD NEVER ASK IF HE STILL HAD IT TO TRY TO GET IT BACK.SHE WAS AN ONLY CHILD,THIS IS THE 1ST TIME I'VE EVER SEEN A BASS LIKE HERS,IF YOU EVER SEE ANOTHER LIKE IT FOR SALE,PLEASE CONTACT ME.I WOULD HANG ON OUR LIVING ROOM WALL NEXT TO HER PICTURE FOREVER.THANKS,BIG JIM

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 3:49 pm 

ya the pointy black beakhead is a 89 that I have in the pic above Jim. It's the match to the 89 SSH.

that Eclipse crackle...haha well that thing was not a lefty, so someone asked me to buy it, and for what he offered, I sold it.
I would have just as much luck finding another one as you..they did not sell that many Eclipses at Lousville Music, and I only saw one of them in the crackle finish on ebay last year. I have seen many others with the CharvelHead, even in lefty, but never a crackle as it was made at the end of the store's run and soon after Bently was out of business.

oh and mine was a 1991, and part of the "pro" line with a solidbody no plywood.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 3:59 pm 

since the thread got bumped, let me show 2 more leftys I bought.

a early 90's Kramer 422SL and a Ibanez GSR300

PostPosted: January 11th, 2011, 4:05 pm 

amimbari wrote:
ya the pointy black beakhead is a 89 that I have in the pic above Jim. It's the match to the 89 SSH.

that Eclipse crackle...haha well that thing was not a lefty, so someone asked me to buy it, and for what he offered, I sold it.
I would have just as much luck finding another one as you..they did not sell that many Eclipses at Lousville Music, and I only saw one of them in the crackle finish on ebay last year. I have seen many others with the CharvelHead, even in lefty, but never a crackle as it was made at the end of the store's run and soon after Bently was out of business.

oh and mine was a 1991, and part of the "pro" line with a solidbody no plywood.

so that model was called series10 eclipse?i think she got hers in '90,paid $340 for it new,right handed,had to special order it.i watch ebay every week for one,never saw one,how much did it go for?....your into charvels,i play 6 string i have a charvel model 4 (1987/88?)i'm a lefty but i play righthand.thanks for replying-big jim

PostPosted: January 11th, 2011, 4:57 pm 

ya Jim. I used to have a whole page of bently guitar and bass models, colors, finishes, years made..etc....can't find it anymore. I bought it for 100 used, sold it for 200 and since it was not anything collectible, I let it go. here's a few youtube vids with it flipped:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeaVewGFDmU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtU8_B8VBxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qiq3oYs7phc

remember the audio was recorded live from my camcorder mics so don't expect it to be a good "off the mixingboard using software" tone...lol

PostPosted: January 12th, 2011, 8:32 am 

Amimbari, did you happen to see this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

PostPosted: January 12th, 2011, 11:17 am 

thanks p/j.... oh ya i saw it and put it on my watchlist and if i didnt have that lefty forum3 NT i just bought i was gonna offer him 100 less than he is asking :)
and his screenname fits the thought of him selling it at that price...leftyloser!!!
i only paid 300 for my Forum3 with a HSC and it is a real Spector/Kramer with the real Spector bridge and hazlab in it :P

PostPosted: January 12th, 2011, 2:09 pm 

amimbari wrote:
thanks p/j.... oh ya i saw it and put it on my watchlist and if i didnt have that lefty forum3 NT i just bought i was gonna offer him 100 less than he is asking :)
and his screenname fits the thought of him selling it at that price...leftyloser!!!
i only paid 300 for my Forum3 with a HSC and it is a real Spector/Kramer with the real Spector bridge and hazlab in it :P

Leftyloser is Tom Tyner. He's a huge lefty collector/seller and I've bought a few instruments from him over the years, including my BC Rich Eagle and Precision Elite basses. He's a good guy and has a website:

www.leftyloserguitars.com

He's also almost always open to price negotiations. If you're interested in the bass, why not give him a call and discuss price? He'll probably be happy to sell it privately than hope it sells in auction and have to pay the various fees.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2011, 3:01 pm 

PJM, I believe you and you never know..doing deals away from ebay is well known for how many deals end up that way ( I'm just as guilty )
but no, it will be up for grabs for the next lefty in line, hell I have enough Kramers with the zx70, forum3, and the striker422SL.
If he was selling a F1 or F2 lefty, IF they even made them -- that would be a totally collectible unit which I would easily pay a LOT for :) F3's are not common, but there are others out there every now and then.

as any of us know, we must always be patient and look, look, look for leftys when we know they made 30,000 rightys and 500 leftys of the same model as far as production basses go.

same as my love for Jacksons in lefty, nothing made = nothing for sale --lol.

I always tell the rightys I would give away my JacksonTbird to them if they ever found me a lefty ANYTHING from Charvel/jackson beyond the model2's ( I'll have that tbird for another 20 years waiting for someone to find one )

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 12:58 pm 

well not too long ago I posted in my thread here some leftys I have.

now the line up has changed and so I'm back to post some more.
In a previous thread I said I would give up my Jackson-Tbird to find another lefty Jackson. Well this one came along and I didn't have to sell it because the price was right and I sold my 2 Ibby SR's to pay for it.

I still have the 2 Charvel model2's and that black broken series10 is now fixed and white.
I still have the Kramers -- the Forum3, and the 422S Baretta, but added a white 700ST.
no more Ibby's both gone.

but the biggest find for a long time was a 1994 Jackson Futura EX, last year they offered it in lefty:
it is a pro but they couldn't use that sticker on the lefty-head.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2011, 5:53 pm 

How does it sound?

PostPosted: May 16th, 2011, 9:02 am 

oh Frenchy I didn't get an email about a new post in this thread. Sorry for the delay, yes the Jackson Futura sounds a little different because it is passive for now, and I'm not ready to use it just yet so it will sit on the shelf for a while longer.

I used my Series10 lefty and my model2 at our gig on Sunday the 15th for the show we put on for the Pittsburgh Marathon at Stage AE ( any Pittsburgher would know where that is, right across the street from Heinz field )

I used my Series10 for a while, then went back to my Jackson :)

the first pic is not just the light truss, they had the wall-door 1/2 open because of the rain.

and for those people who have never been there, when they opened up the wall-door, you can see the Stadium across the street.

PostPosted: May 16th, 2011, 4:16 pm 

I dig the way the B&W photo came out!