LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:03 am

Post subject: LeftyBassATL's Basses
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2008, 7:04 pm 

Main bass is the Orange MM Stingray 5, backup is the black one. The 4 string now has a bart and I'm not sure if I like the sound, so it doesn't get much love anymore.

The Roscoe SKB3006 is too much bass for me, but I can't bare to part with it unless I could find the same thing in a 5 string.

The MIJ Fender Jazz currently has a defretted mexican neck on it. Occasionally I forget I can't play fretless, switch out the necks, and I'm promptly reminded of my fretless shortcomings.

The upright is an Engelhardt ES1, factory lefty. Bought from Upton bass in CT- those guys were awesome.

I use Epifani 502 amp/210 cab- not left handed. :D

Attachments:
JDsBasses.jpg
JDsBasses.jpg [ 161.67 KiB | Viewed 7009 times ]
 Post subject: Re: LeftyBassATL's Basses
PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 7:46 am 

Great collection. That maple necked 4 string 'Ray looks a lot like one I used to own. I wonder...

I've also been curious about those Engelhardt basses. How is yours? I was looking into a lefty upright for a while and they're one of the few companies making lefty uprights, and reasonably priced too. The only companies I found making lefties (other than some overseas expensive makers like Paesold) are Christopher and a Bulgarian carved one that Bob Gollihur offers.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 10:44 am 
Site Admin

I flipped the strings on an NS WAV electric upright bass and I'm pretty happy with it Peter. NS told me the curvature of the fingerboard was different from right to left so you can't flip the strings but I brought mine to Kinal for a fingerboard planing to making it lefty convertible and the fingerboard was symmetrical so no modding was necessary. It sounds great. I have a small Fishman 2 band pre box for it and it really brings the tone to life.

The blonde acoustic upright Bob sells just kills me. I have to get one someday.

Great looking collection LBatl, welcome aboard!

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 12:02 pm 

I love the ES-1, but I wouldn't go any lower in the Engelhardt line than that. Mine has the Ebony fingerboard and all the upgraded components. Upton Bass does a nice setup job on the bass before they send it out too, which probably helped alot. They put a new bridge, endpin and tailpiece on it and did some neck and fingerboard finishing. I doubt it would have sounded so great right out of the box had they not done the great work on it.

Bottom Line- I've never gotten anything but praise from my teachers and peers on the ES1.

The Shen basses, while more expensive, sound great as well. Not as loud as my Engelhardt, but warm and syrupy like you wouldn't believe.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 5:04 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
The only companies I found making lefties (other than some overseas expensive makers like Paesold) are Christopher and a Bulgarian carved one that Bob Gollihur offers.

I used to own a factory lefty Strunal. I bought it used, but I believe the new price was in the $1500-$1800 range. Very nice bass - wish I still had it.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2008, 6:47 pm 

Well I commend all you guys for playing upright lefty, because you REALLY have to go out of your way to be a left handed upright player. :lol:

I forgot about Strunel. They, along with Lark, Devilli, Merano, Christopher, and Paesold were mentioned in a discussion I read on Talkbass about acquiring lefty uprights (aside from Engelhardt). I'm glad to hear a good review on Upton/Engelhardt, 'cause if I ever decide to pursue upright I don't think I could afford anything else.

PostPosted: September 5th, 2008, 6:22 am 

I just looked at the Uptonbass.com site for the review I posted of my bass and it turns out they no longer carry Engelhardt, but they are promoting this left handed upgrade now for $500, which is a little less than half of what my local guy quoted for the same work. I don't know anything about this Bulgarian basses they reference, but I can speak to the professionalism and high level of care and detail they put into the bass and the transaction. The repair tech there is actually left handed (although I think he plays right), so he feels our pain, and actually called me to ask me what I thought. Pretty impressive.

My ES1 Review (at bottom of page):
http://www.uptonbass.com/Englehardt-ES1 ... ight-Bass/

The $500 Upton Left Handed UB Bass Upgrade:
http://www.uptonbass.com/left-handed-upton-bass/