LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 8:21 am

Post subject: My Basses
PostPosted: February 8th, 2011, 4:26 pm 

My MIM Jazz, ever so slightly modded with Warmoth neck, tort guard, Badass II bridge, Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups (I may put the DiMarzio Model J's back in), Audere preamp, Schaller and Hipshot tuners.

Post subject: Re: My Basses
PostPosted: February 8th, 2011, 4:46 pm 

Nice!

I also have a black MIM Jazz. Got it for $95. Added a tort pickguard, Gotoh bridge and a pair of Dimarzio pups that I had in a bass I built in high school woodshop. Eventually I'm going to have to replace the neck and when I do it will get a ebony fretboard with binding and dots and a matching headstock. But until then I just rock the hell out of it!

PostPosted: February 8th, 2011, 4:48 pm 

This one is a 1991 SR800L. It's great; 7.4 lbs, sweet 24 fret neck, nice bridge, etc. The previous owner replaced the nut with a brass nut, changed the truss rod cover, replaced the pickups with EMG's, and removed the stock preamp. I put a set of Bartolini pickups and an NTBT-918 preamp in it, and put the EMG's in my son's bass. I also removed the touch-up paint the original owner put on it. I added a separate battery box, a battery kill mini-toggle switch, a Hipshot detuner, and Schaller straplocks.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2011, 5:12 pm 

7.4lbs! Awesome!

PostPosted: February 8th, 2011, 5:14 pm 

Basshappi wrote:
I also have a black MIM Jazz. Got it for $95. Added a tort pickguard, Gotoh bridge and a pair of Dimarzio pups that I had in a bass I built in high school woodshop. Eventually I'm going to have to replace the neck and when I do it will get a ebony fretboard with binding and dots and a matching headstock. But until then I just rock the hell out of it!

I got lucky and found my neck used. I paid $30 more for it than what I sold the MIM neck for.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2011, 5:34 pm 

Not much left from the original bass on this MIM Jazz! It looks great. I also prefer maple necks on a Jazz Bass.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 12:02 pm 

What is that toggleswitch on the pickguard of your Jazz? Did you order the Audere with an external impedance switch? Or does it have the rotary 6-position switch, and is it something else?

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 12:09 pm 

It's a battery kill switch. I put them on all my basses.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 12:12 pm 

My fretless Jazz, Warmoth body and neck, black pearloid guard, Badass II bridge, Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups EMG preamp, Schaller tuners.

PostPosted: May 18th, 2011, 3:05 pm 

My 1987 SR800LEL. It's also 7.4 lbs, and has thatsweet 24 fret neck, and the highly-sought-after Omni-Adjust bridge. Best of all, it's not black! The color is Caribbean blue, but the clearcoat has yellowed, making it more like Caribbean turquoise.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 6:51 am 

although you have had that greenish unit posted on TB, I'll say it again..wow I like that color.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 9:50 am 

Dano, those 2 J's are so sweeeeeet, look great too!

Warwick b/o Thumb 5/Corvette 5F, Steinberger XL25WL/XL2FL, Ibanez 645/505/506, Tune BassManiac 5, Aria IGB68-5, Hohner B2VA, MM Sterling, Squier VMJ, FauxFender Dinky J, GB Shuttle 3.10T, GK MB200 & 500, Nemesis 410 cab, Korg G5.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 12:47 pm 

Thanks, guys!

Here's my '94 ATK 300L. Heavy as hell (11.8 lbs), been through the ringer by the original owner (who sold it to me to buy a new Stingray 5 to beat the hell out of), and a neck that's theoretically too wide for my tastes, but it plays great. I replaced the tuners (two of the originals were bent, one a full 90 degrees), nut (original had been filed because the dude strung it up backwards) and string ferrules (the originals don't fit the ball ends too well). It was dirtiest bass I've ever bought; I had to completely disassemble it and sand down the back of the neck to get the grime off. Anyway, it's clean now and it kicks ass!

I've got one more Ibanez left, but it's apart right now, so it'll be a month or so before I post it.

Post subject: Last one....
PostPosted: May 28th, 2011, 7:29 pm 

My '86 Roadstar RB650. I bought it off ebay several months back, and like it, but the neck is warped and probably should be replaced.

I've already replaced the pickups with DiMarzio's, replaced the original V-B-T harness with leftover CTS pots and wired it V-V-T. I replaced the black plastic knobs with chrome ones, and the boring black pickguard with a homemade clear one, and painted that one Saddle Tan. I'm thinking about ordering a 5-ply guard from Chandler; and maybe a fancier, top-loading bridge. I'm not sure what I'll do about the neck yet, but I really like the sound of the bass (and it's only 7.6 lbs), so I'll think of something.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2011, 9:21 pm 

Ive got an Ibby roadstar II
one of the best sounding basses Ive had.
It sits so well when strapped on its crazy.

I dont play it anymore and thinking about selling it. :|

PostPosted: May 30th, 2011, 9:00 pm 

Well, I still hope to get my neck to behave, but I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your bass anyway. Especially if it's not a black one.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2011, 10:28 pm 

Attachments:
2007_0306basses0011.JPG
2007_0306basses0011.JPG [ 103.53 KiB | Viewed 18802 times ]
 Post subject: I've been bored.....
PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 10:23 am 

......and a friend gave me a '60's MIJ short scale neck (30"), so I decided to upgrade a bass I made for my oldest son way back around 1998.

It had a '60's MIJ super short-scale (25") neck on it, but the neck had a broken truss rod. I bought a 1"x6" plank of pine for the body, and used a highly sophisticated system of piecing it together, using a jigsaw, Elmer's glue, and, instead of clamping it together, I used drywall screws. I found some kind of textured paint at my local K-Mart, and that covered up most of the flaws. My kid was only 5 or 6, so I tuned it really low so he'd have no problem fretting it. Naturally, the favorite thing for all my kids to do on it was 'tune' the bass, and they always tightened the strings when they did that :mrgreen: Originally, I didn't put a pickup in it, but my son said it was a 'fake bass', so I added a Jazz neck pickup and the pick guard.

Anyway, all my kids are older now, and they all have a guitar or bass of their own, so this bass just sits around in my living room, and I'm the only one who's played it in the last 5 or so years. A few months back, I went to my local music store and noticed a Montoya neck with a section of the binding missing in their parts/pedals bin. I asked Paul (the store manager) what he wanted for it and he said I could have it. So I widened the neck pocket on my old body, slid the bridge down 3 inches, and that was it until the weekend before last, when I decided to spruce it up.

I had a can of dark green hammertone paint lying around, so I repainted the bass. I had to add a knob when I added the bridge pickup, which was easy enough, but I put those Vol. & Tone knobs on the bass years ago, and forgot where I got them from. Turns out they're Fender reissue '74 Telecaster Custom knobs, and I had no problem finding another Vol. knob to match them. I had a 2 saddle bridge on it originally, but recently upgraded my friend's Squier bridge, so I upgraded my bass with his discarded Squier bridge.

My headstock redesign is an obvious homage to Leo's Stingray.

I replaced the missing binding with a piece of plastic I cut from cookie dough lid. There were no side dots on either side of the neck, so I drilled into the binding with my Dremel, and colored it with a Sharpie. I might put real dots in later.

It plays and sounds good; it could use a new nut, or at least a superglue repair to raise the G string a bit. It is fun to play, and about half the weight of my 'real' basses. I think my middle son is using the old neck as a wall decoration (he has a kickass Ibanez SR500 to play!).

PostPosted: October 8th, 2011, 2:54 pm 

I sent my maple Jazz neck to Pat Wilkins several weeks ago because the finish was pretty much worn off it. I got it back Wednesday, got it together that evening, and was back to using it Thursday at practice )It's not a light bass, but the ATK is damn heavy!). Anyway, here's a few pics of it; they don't do it justice, it's way more gorgeous now!

I didn't really have the money to do it, but it's the best neck ever, and I worried about what the Florida weather would do to it with so much of the finish worn off.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2011, 11:50 am 

That's a nice neck... Pat does great work!