The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 5:24 pm

Post subject: Some MIJ goodies
PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 4:19 pm 

My Precision:

My Strat:

Post subject: Re: My Basses
PostPosted: December 1st, 2012, 4:03 pm 

My latest Jazz. I know I'm not a fan of natural finished jazz basses, and I believe I rejected this particular bass when it was new back in '06 at the local GC, but for some reason, I think this one looks good. Plays and sounds good, too. Not sure I'll keep the tuners, but I don't see the need to change anything else on this one. Okay, straplocks, but that's it.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2012, 8:54 am 

wow!!! never ever seen a lefty ATK before! i didn't think they ever made it in a lefty - i have always hankered after one! how do they sound with that monster pup and big body? can't believe the weight of it tho, sounds painful :shock:

danomite64 wrote:
Thanks, guys!

Here's my '94 ATK 300L. Heavy as hell (11.8 lbs), been through the ringer by the original owner (who sold it to me to buy a new Stingray 5 to beat the hell out of), and a neck that's theoretically too wide for my tastes, but it plays great. I replaced the tuners (two of the originals were bent, one a full 90 degrees), nut (original had been filed because the dude strung it up backwards) and string ferrules (the originals don't fit the ball ends too well). It was dirtiest bass I've ever bought; I had to completely disassemble it and sand down the back of the neck to get the grime off. Anyway, it's clean now and it kicks ass!

I've got one more Ibanez left, but it's apart right now, so it'll be a month or so before I post it.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2012, 11:35 am 

grizzlyjay wrote:
wow!!! never ever seen a lefty ATK before! i didn't think they ever made it in a lefty - i have always hankered after one! how do they sound with that monster pup and big body? can't believe the weight of it tho, sounds painful :shock:

There's a couple of them on this board. Even two 5-strings! :)

Really cool basses. I have an ATK300, an ATK305 and an Ernie Ball Stingray 5 and between the two 5-strings, I'd say the SR5 has a brighter attack and more mid scoop and a bit more output and I prefer the SR5 for playing comfort (because of the oiled neck, the neck profile doesn't differ all that much) but the ATK305 is a more sturdy workhorse, feels more solid, has more mids and the highs are a bit less prominent and thin. So the ATK is actually more usable in my opinion! The ATK will also do a very acceptable impression of a Jazz with the bridge pickup soloed with the switch in the center position. I love them!

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2012, 12:48 pm 

awesome - they made a 5er too! just been reading up that the 5s were japanese only, must have been a pretty limited run. well, must keep my eyes peeled for one on here then - never seen one on evilbay or anywhere else! sounds like they have a great tone and build to them - my kind of basses! are they significantly heavier than the SRs? I have a cheapy Vintage SR copy that i chucked a Seymour Duncan Alnico MM bucker in and it sounds great but is pretty heavy after a couple of hours... should probably get a nice wide cushioned strap for it...

Jeroen wrote:
grizzlyjay wrote:

Really cool basses. I have an ATK300, an ATK305 and an Ernie Ball Stingray 5 and between the two 5-strings, I'd say the SR5 has a brighter attack and more mid scoop and a bit more output and I prefer the SR5 for playing comfort (because of the oiled neck, the neck profile doesn't differ all that much) but the ATK305 is a more sturdy workhorse, feels more solid, has more mids and the highs are a bit less prominent and thin. So the ATK is actually more usable in my opinion! The ATK will also do a very acceptable impression of a Jazz with the bridge pickup soloed with the switch in the center position. I love them!

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 12:09 am 

grizzlyjay wrote:
awesome - they made a 5er too! just been reading up that the 5s were japanese only, must have been a pretty limited run. well, must keep my eyes peeled for one on here then - never seen one on evilbay or anywhere else! sounds like they have a great tone and build to them - my kind of basses! are they significantly heavier than the SRs? I have a cheapy Vintage SR copy that i chucked a Seymour Duncan Alnico MM bucker in and it sounds great but is pretty heavy after a couple of hours... should probably get a nice wide cushioned strap for it...

Jeroen wrote:
grizzlyjay wrote:

Grizzlyhay - Jeroen and myself are the two here that own ATK305's. Here's a thread showing the day my ATK305 arrived from an eBay/Germany auction I won... and at the end is a picture of the three ATK's I own = an orange 4-string like Danomite's, and a righty 5-string I bought, and was going to convert to a lefty if I was never able to find a 305...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3613&hilit=+ibanez+atk

Also, here's a picture showing Jeroen's and my 305 side-by-side... very rare basses indeed!

Danomite, sorry for hi-jacking your thread! ;)

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 1:50 pm 

Don't worry about it. All you have to do is send me one (or both) of those beauties, and then your post will be completely on-topic!

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2012, 1:58 pm 

grizzlyjay wrote:

It sounds pretty good; like an older Stingray, but with it's own personality. The weight gets to me a bit more now because I hurt my shoulder a few years back; but I can always bring my (much lighter) Precision to switch to if it starts to bother me.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2012, 4:51 am 

danomite64 wrote:
Don't worry about it. All you have to do is send me one (or both) of those beauties, and then your post will be completely on-topic!

Let's do a reverse mortgage type of deal.... you give me $2000 now, and I'll put them in my will for you! :lol: all you have to do is out-live me! Now THERE'S incentive to live into your Century years!

PostPosted: December 6th, 2012, 11:07 am 

ahhh, those are some beautiful basses!!!! you guys are pretty fortunate! i must stop looking at the pic tho, i have just received my new bass bought from Ioz on this very forum!!! wooop :mrgreen:

PostPosted: January 19th, 2015, 8:33 pm 

Last year, I got a Warmoth body to replace the MIM body I had on my Warmoth Jazz, and a MIJ Fender Jazz neck to replace the ESP neck I had on my MIJ Precision. The fretless and the little green bass escaped my attention.....so far.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2015, 5:20 pm 

I like this pickguard better......