LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:52 am

Post subject: 1979 Peavey T-40 conversion to left handed
PostPosted: January 28th, 2024, 7:43 pm 

Someone posted a lefty custom made Peavey T-40 body on Reverb and it sat there for way too long I felt like it was calling my name.
Found a decent deal on a 1979 T-40 bass so I went for it.
The body was built in the UK by Guitar Form but it was routed for Fender neck and bridge, I've routed the neck pocket, control plate, bridge slot and string thru holes and luckily it worked out great!
Both switches where broken but I've had my tech replacing them and doing some work in the wiring. Pickguard came from WD Custom and fitted like a glove. A few more coats of vintage tint nitro gloss and will be done.
13LBS of pure tone!
Image Image

Post subject: Re: 1979 Peavey T-40 conversion to left handed
PostPosted: January 29th, 2024, 7:11 am 

That's awesome! Can't wait to try it :)

PostPosted: January 29th, 2024, 11:42 am 

paulo wrote:
Someone posted a lefty custom made Peavey T-40 body on Reverb and it sat there for way too long I felt like it was calling my name.
Found a decent deal on a 1979 T-40 bass so I went for it.
The body was built in the UK by Guitar Form but it was routed for Fender neck and bridge, I've routed the neck pocket, control plate, bridge slot and string thru holes and luckily it worked out great!
Both switches where broken but I've had my tech replacing them and doing some work in the wiring. Pickguard came from WD Custom and fitted like a glove. A few more coats of vintage tint nitro gloss and will be done.
13LBS of pure tone!
Image Image

Fantastic job as always.

Back when I entertained the idea (in my head) of building a T 40, I thought that maybe a lefty Peavey Foundation or Fury neck could sub nicely. Have you considered that?

PostPosted: January 29th, 2024, 2:29 pm 

Thanks!
Ive never thought about doing that but I thought about using a Precision bass body and neck. That would be better if weight is a concern I think. It feels like this body has the thickness and weight of two bodies.
The neck with reverse headstock does not bother me but I’d assume a Foundation or Fury neck would be an option!

PostPosted: February 17th, 2024, 8:42 am 

Well done, Paulo! I also stared at that body on Reverb for a LONG time (I’ve been sitting on a complete set of T-40 electronics for several years) and thought about doing exactly the same thing. Ultimately I decided that although I really like the T-40 sound, the T-40 weight, body and neck are just too uncomfortable for me- so I’m gonna go with some other platform. PJ’s Foundation suggestion is an interesting one… still kinda keeping things in the Peavey family, so to speak?

PostPosted: February 17th, 2024, 11:37 am 

Paulo, look what showed up on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/78933490-1989-p ... -bass-neck

PostPosted: February 17th, 2024, 12:10 pm 

Carmine wrote:
Well done, Paulo! I also stared at that body on Reverb for a LONG time (I’ve been sitting on a complete set of T-40 electronics for several years) and thought about doing exactly the same thing. Ultimately I decided that although I really like the T-40 sound, the T-40 weight, body and neck are just too uncomfortable for me- so I’m gonna go with some other platform. PJ’s Foundation suggestion is an interesting one… still kinda keeping things in the Peavey family, so to speak?

Thanks Carmine!
Since you have the electronics I bet it would turn out great if you put them into a Squier P-bass.
I've refinished this Squier Jazz Bass Classic Vibe myself and had a pair of wide range pickups installed. These basses are great for mods!

PostPosted: February 17th, 2024, 12:16 pm 

pjmuck wrote:
Paulo, look what showed up on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/78933490-1989-p ... -bass-neck

Thanks PJ!
But I'd prefer the thick neck profile of the T-40 and I like that neck as is.
The Foundation neck to me has more of a broom stick fell because it's so thin.
When I saw that neck for sale I've thought about it but quickly gave up. I wouldn't like the black headstock as well. Also it has a rosewood fingerboard instead of maple.
I have a Foundation as well and thought about measuring the neck to see if it would fit the T-40 body but I didn't got to it.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2024, 9:12 pm 

Paulo... first of all, Effing Cool Kustom Bass Rig! Have always dug the tuck-and-roll vinyl, in Any color... I once played a gig where I brought my Walter Woods head, and plugged it into the drummer's Kustom PA cab; three 15's in their if i recall - 5-feet tall, and sounded awesome! Would love to have that cab for regular gigging, but!, it's almost the size of a refer, and weighs almost as much as an Ampeg 8x10... sure did sound nice though!

A guitar buddy years ago fave me a T-40 right handed bass... needs a bit of work... have never gotten around to fixing it up... I'll have to post pictures of it just for the Hell of it... Nicely done on yours!

PostPosted: February 18th, 2024, 1:09 am 

Ditto on the Kustom Bass Rig, Paulo...which cab is that- a 2x15?

That Squire mod is sweet! I've thought about using a Fender platform for my T-40 stuff... but also thinking it might be cool to use something a bit more off the beaten path- I've got a "spare" Hagstrom FXB220 just sitting around that would be fun to mod out ... I did a quick visual mock up just to get an idea- what do you guys think?

PostPosted: February 18th, 2024, 8:32 am 

Wow, that looks like it would be very cool!

PostPosted: February 18th, 2024, 11:56 am 

Thanks Ian / Carmine!
That's a 3x15. Basically 2x15 and a 15 horn. I currently have the horn unplugged and thought about putting a speaker instead.
If you like how the Hagstrom feels, I bet it would be a sweet mod! It DOES look great!
And Ian, please post pics of the T-40, would be nice to see that one too!