LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:28 pm

Post subject: My bass gallery - a work in progress
PostPosted: March 25th, 2008, 8:08 am 

Here's a link to my stuff. I've been collecting for about 10 years now. Note that I have more stuff than this that needs to be photographed, and I'd like to re-shoot some of these, but this is a start:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pjmuck/LeftyBassGallery

Post subject: Re: My bass gallery - a work in progress
PostPosted: March 25th, 2008, 8:31 am 

that's one pretty incredible collection, P

that Smith CR4 is gorgeous :o - and if it plays anything like my 5er it's a definite keeper

all the best,

R

PostPosted: March 25th, 2008, 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Man, you have a ridiculous amount of nice basses Peter. I love your sunburst Sabre, and your '72 jazz looks killer too. I dig the wear on the finish. I love the look of a bass that's been played. :D

PostPosted: March 25th, 2008, 8:48 pm 

andrew wrote:
Man, you have a ridiculous amount of nice basses Peter. I love your sunburst Sabre, and your '72 jazz looks killer too. I dig the wear on the finish. I love the look of a bass that's been played. :D

I'm with you on the wear appeal, Andrew, especially when I'm the one who spent 20 years wearing it out. :lol:

At one point I seriously thought about refinishing it because I was afraid of it continuously flaking apart, (considered refinishing it in burgundy mist), but I realized that it's a testament to my blood, sweat, and tears as a musician and I decided I enjoy playing it more than locking it away in it's case for the next 20 years. Market value or not, instruments are made to be played, IMO.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2008, 1:15 pm 

Awesome collection. Those 2nd series Tele basses are the only ones I've ever seen.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2008, 2:14 pm 

I love that 77 Tele II!!!! :shock:
(and the Vox too)

PostPosted: May 9th, 2008, 9:33 am 

My gallery has been updated to now include everything I own to date. I still want to re-shoot some basses, as I like how the photos turned out for those basses I shot in the sunroom, but this will do for now. Enjoy:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pjmuck/LeftyBassGallery

PostPosted: May 9th, 2008, 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Man, I love the '73 P and the Broadkaster. Killer collection!

PostPosted: May 10th, 2008, 10:02 am 

Thanks, Andrew. I got the '73 P about 5 years ago and was a nice accidental find, as I just happened to walk into Ludlow St. Guitars here in NY and asked if they had any lefty basses in stock. They had a neon lime green lefty BC Rich Warlock bass (pretty rare in it's own right but I couldn't bring myself to purchase that!) and the P bass that had just come in that day. It was beaten to hell by the previous owner, who probably thrashed away on it in some hardcore band, and it was originally a sunburst that was stripped to natural. I'm with you, I love old beater basses, and I walked out with this one for $550, due to the condition. It's all original and the frets are in great shape. I replaced the original PUP with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder for a while, but went back to the stock PUP.

If I had my druthers, I'd love to get an old sunburst P with a rosewood board like yours some day, but I am really enjoying this bass lately.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2008, 1:10 pm 

Hey Peter. Very nice collection you have. I am another lucky one that snagged one of Steve Chesney's lefty basses. I purchased the Zebrano zebrastripe 4 string Mach III a few years back with rare birdseye maple fingerboard. She has her own tone like no other Wal I have heard. I also have a Mach II Poly black lefty. This one is very much darker in tone but plays wonderful. Steve took very good care of his Wals and anyone who was able to get one, was lucky. I think he sold most of them off by now excluding a few of his proto fretless'.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2008, 9:08 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
Hey Peter. Very nice collection you have. I am another lucky one that snagged one of Steve Chesney's lefty basses. I purchased the Zebrano zebrastripe 4 string Mach III a few years back with rare birdseye maple fingerboard.

I remember that Zebrastripe bass of yours, as Steve used to have pix of all of his basses up on his site. I'm not remembering the black one you mention though. Would love to see pix of yours.

I've been playing my Wal a lot lately. I had heard that Wals typically fat chunky necks, but mine couldn't be any further from that. It's a very thin skinny V profile. Personally, it's the only thing I don't like about mine. I've come to the realization that it probably needs a new nut, however. Steve was a lefty who played strung righty, so when he shipped the bass to me he simply flipped the nut. I've noticed that the action is pretty high at the first 2 frets of the G and D strings regardless of how low I set it, making it difficult to fret those two notes (you have to press real hard). So when I get the funds I'll be sending her in for a proper setup/new nut. I've also thought about sending it out to Thor to get the neck epoxyed.

Amazing basses. THE best onboard preamp/EQ I've ever encountered on a bass.

Amazing basses.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2008, 2:56 am 

I remember that Zebrastripe bass of yours, as Steve used to have pix of all of his basses up on his site. I'm not remembering the black one you mention though. Would love to see pix of yours.

I received the poly black from a store in Germany, not Steve. He never had a black one. Its a rare one all black with silver hardware and indian ebony fingerboard. It needs some work (nut, finish buffing) but is a nice one. Yea, Steve played strung up righty so he send me my Zebrano and I took it to my luthier to fix the nut. much better now. the neck shrank a little also so the frets were sharp. I fixed that also. I would get the laquor for your fretless. It will make it sing much better and preserve the neck. I will post some pics on my blogger with my other basses and send a link when I get it completed. I have many lefty's.

-gravesbass

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2008, 3:19 pm 

For Peter... Pic of my 1995 Wal Mach II Poly Black bass... She needs a little work but man.. what a tone.

Attachments:
Wal_Bottom.jpg
Wal_Bottom.jpg [ 51.29 KiB | Viewed 12936 times ]
File comment: See pic here....
Wal_Top.jpg
Wal_Top.jpg [ 123.65 KiB | Viewed 12936 times ]
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2008, 10:26 pm 

gravesbass wrote:
For Peter... Pic of my 1995 Wal Mach II Poly Black bass... She needs a little work but man.. what a tone.

:shock: Wow! I don't think I've ever been that excited about an all black bass before (especially when 99% of the time it's the only color offered to lefties) but that looks simply stunning.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2008, 11:52 pm 

Thanks man. When you hear all black, you thing simple and standard.. but this Poly finish and neck finish looks really cool. I paid a lot for her unfortunately and the case was damaged in shipping. I need to find a case repair person to fix it. I'll post my Zebrano updated from Steve's specs later if your interested.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 3:02 pm 

My lefty Wal Mach III is in the For Sale section at the leftybassist homepage. She unfortunately has to go and it will be on the bay in a week or so. :cry:

PostPosted: October 7th, 2008, 8:14 pm 

man i am in love with the sunburst sabre. where did you find it??

PostPosted: October 9th, 2008, 7:11 am 

I bought the Sabre from Southpaw Guitars about 7 years ago. He had advertised it in Vintage Guitar magazine. When I called to inquire about it, he really didn't talk it up much, as he stated that the bass was very heavy and had neck problems, so I bought it for a great price3 because he thought it had issues.

When I received it, I was surprised to find a fair weighted instrument (9.5lbs), however, sure enough, there were some nasty dead spots at the 3rd fret on the E string and 7th fret on the D. But since I owned a Musicman Stingray already, I knew something about these basses: Musicman apparently didn't know what to do with lefty instruments yet, so they would set them up with right handed bridges/saddles. The saddles were set up backwards such that the strings practically break at a right angle across the saddles! All I did was reverse the saddles and viola! No more dead spots. Bass plays fine now, I was playing with it last night.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2008, 5:02 am 

Dude, that T bird is sweet, I don't care if it is a epiphone, I'd totally choke a drifter for it................

PostPosted: October 19th, 2008, 5:07 am 

BTW PJ, I too live in Dirty Jerzee, so now I know who buys up all the lefites in this state, lol IF you ever wanted to sell that t-bird, I'd sell my children for it, lol