The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:13 am

Post subject: SOLD - upgraded RGW AXIOM 4 Lefty - Introductory priced
PostPosted: May 2nd, 2009, 4:17 pm 

SOLD!

SOLD!

Specs:
- Select Swamp Ash 2-piece body with highly figured drop-top, Honeyburst finish
- Maple 21-fret neck, upgraded Birdseye 12″R fretboard, satin finish with gloss headstock
- 1-1/2″ nut width J-style neck, zero-fret, 6125 alloy frets, black side dots, no face dots
- Dual graphite stiffening bars, heel trussrod adjust
- Nordstrand Big Singles pickup set
- 18v Nordstrand 2-band preamp with true bypass mode
- Vol (pull for passive) - Blend - Dedicated Passive Tone (DPT) - active Bass/Treble stack
- Hipshot Ultralight tuners
- Hipshot Type A 19mm bridge
- Tortoise/W/B/W pickguard
- Chrome hardware
- Hipshot string retainer
- Electro socket side jack
- Soft case included
- 18 month limited warranty
- Total weight: 8.5 pounds

Regular pricing: $2195 + $100 fretboard upgrade + $50 body finish upgrade

Introductory price - $1995 (includes complimentary shipping for those in the US Lower 48)

I refinished the headstock to incorporate my official Regenerate logo, and am officially offering this one up for sale to celebrate the official re-opening of my Bass Shop here in the Seattle Area.

all the best,

R

Last edited by Rodent on September 15th, 2009, 9:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
updated because I installed a Nordstrand pre-amp, not an Aguilar

Post subject: Re: FOR SALE - upgraded RGW AXIOM 4 Lefty - Introductory priced
PostPosted: May 3rd, 2009, 5:07 am 

Great looking bass! The orange finish really brings out the grain in the maple. Any sound clips on this bass?

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2009, 6:53 am 

no soundclips yet, but they're definitely in the works - the studio isn't available at a time that works for my schedule for another two weeks.

all the best,

R

PostPosted: May 3rd, 2009, 8:21 pm 

Very sweet looking bass! Wish I had the cash to pick it up :(

PostPosted: May 9th, 2009, 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

I played this bass today and it is simply fantastic. There is just so much right about this bass. The build and finish were perfect. The playability and tone just killed.

I make no secret of my preference for P-basses. This bass' tone sold me on the Nordy big singles immediately. The passive tone and particularly the neck pick up solo'ed was so full and beefy sounding, with a killer growl. It didn't lack any of the nuances of a p pick up that I'm such a fan of.

The active preamp is really cool too. It has really intuitive parameters; flat it sounds killer, maxxed it sounds killer. It just gives you more without ever sliding into too much boomy bass or too much brittle treble. The only other active pre that I liked as much that also was usable in it's full range was the 3 band pre on the F Basses.

I dug the zero fret too, it was my first time playing a lefty with a zero fret and I could definitely hear the effect it has on open notes. It made the whole note range really consistent.

Whoever gets this bass will be very happy. I love my Lakland, but this Regenerate made me an instant fan of Rod's basses.

I also got to try a very tasty p style bass with a darkstar, but I'll save gushing about that bass for another thread. :D

PostPosted: May 10th, 2009, 10:38 pm 

Andrew, what kind of rig and/or board did you play it through? I'd love to hear some sound clips.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 6:47 am 
Site Admin

AzWhoFan wrote:
Andrew, what kind of rig and/or board did you play it through? I'd love to hear some sound clips.

I played it through my rig: Aguilar DB750 with Bergantino NV610 and NV 215 cabs, with an Aguilar AGRO, Sansamp Bass Driver + Paradriver, E-H Bass Microsynth and Fulltone OCD for various degrees of grit and grind. I also heard the bass played through a small G-K combo that sounded really great too.

Sorry, I didn't record anything when playing it. :(

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 9:06 am 

andrew wrote:
I played this bass today ...

Hey Andrew,

Great to finally meet in person after all these years, and thanks for your hospitality in sharing your practice room! 8-) My wife talked quilting about half the drive back to Seattle (when she wasn't talking about basses), so I know she also enjoyed the visit :)

I definitely need to investigate deeper some of your processing gear - that grindy drive you were getting is what I've been hearing in my head for some time, but never taken the initiatve to research since I've been focused on the building aspect of basses. And sadly we didn't get any of it recorded :( (next time, eh?) I definitely liked this bass thru your rig (even better at high volume!)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 11:37 am 

An OCD!!! how cool. I'll have to check one of those out some day. To date, my favorite fuzz/grind tool was one of the original SWR IOD's that were hand built by Don Butler. Kinda wish I had never sold it. Those puupies are turning out to be hard to find.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 12:03 pm 

There's been good interest in this bass (and also the LPB VRB-DS4L), but no takers just yet. How about I bring a little added assurance to this specific for LB members so that you minimize your risk on a builder you've not had opportunity to actually play one of their basses ...

During the month of May 2009, I'll include a 5-day return option on this specific bass for clients in the US and Canada. If this bass doesn't fulfill your expectations, you're welcome to return it for a refund provided it is returned in the same pristine condition it leaves my shop in, and you also cover the costs of properly repackaging and return shipping. This return policy is considered void if the bass is damaged while in your posession and/or if you make any modifications beyond action/intonation and/or pickup height adjustment. If you decide to return the bass, you also agree to contact me prior to shipping so we can make arrangements for the shipping return date. Your refund will be credited in the same form as you made payment, and will be issued within two days of me receiving the bass and verifying that it is indeed in the same condition as it left my shop.

The five days begins from the timestamp that UPS/FedEx declares the shipment as delivered. I'll do my best to ensure that you have the bass available for a weekend session, but since I don't have control over UPS/FedEx I can't guarantee their actual delivery date since it's beyond my control.

With this offer, you can verify the build quality and sound character of this bass in your personal environment. PM or e-mail me if you want to discuss this further 8-)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

AzWhoFan wrote:
An OCD!!! how cool. I'll have to check one of those out some day. To date, my favorite fuzz/grind tool was one of the original SWR IOD's that were hand built by Don Butler. Kinda wish I had never sold it. Those puppies are turning out to be hard to find.

The OCD is a really cool little box on bass. I set it low and leave it on all the time. It's a great sounding pedal for adding rock grind to your tone. I basically use the AGRO for full blown distortion/overdrive and the rest are for varying degrees of mild grit on my (never really very) "clean" sound.

Never gotten to try the IOD with my rig but it seems like a really cool pre/dirt box too.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2009, 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Rodent wrote:
andrew wrote:
I played this bass today ...

Hey Andrew,

Great to finally meet in person after all these years, and thanks for your hospitality in sharing your practice room! 8-) My wife talked quilting about half the drive back to Seattle (when she wasn't talking about basses), so I know she also enjoyed the visit :)

I definitely need to investigate deeper some of your processing gear - that grindy drive you were getting is what I've been hearing in my head for some time, but never taken the initiatve to research since I've been focused on the building aspect of basses. And sadly we didn't get any of it recorded :( (next time, eh?) I definitely liked this bass thru your rig (even better at high volume!)

all the best,

R

Definitely great to meet you too Rod.

Yeah, if you find yourself up this way again bring your bass and amp and we'll mess around with my pedals and pre's and see if we can find the right ones for you.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2009, 1:51 pm 

Hi there. New to Leftybassist, and noticed this on your website after seeing it talked about (very favourably) on the Basschat forum in the UK. Nice!! 8-)

It is possible that I will be coming into some substantial money in the not too distant future, and if so I will definitely be interested in this item if you still have it available.

In the meantime you may want to check out my introductory thread Greetings from Northampton, UK in the Leftorium. You will see a couple of my basses there too. The Wal is up for sale BTW, but market conditions are tough right now so I don't think it'll shift especially quickly. :(

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2009, 9:26 pm 

welcome to LB lb392 ... nice Wal indeed!

seeing your post reminded me that I never updated this thread to reflect that I loaded this bass with a 2-band Nordstrand pre instead of an Aguilar. I can max the Nordy and it's still very musical, much unlike the Aggie OBP-1

and as of today, this bass has not wandered home with anybody ... yet

all the best,

R

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2009, 7:16 am 
Site Admin

Rodent wrote:

seeing your post reminded me that I never updated this thread to reflect that I loaded this bass with a 2-band Nordstrand pre instead of an Aguilar. I can max the Nordy and it's still very musical, much unlike the Aggie OBP-1

all the best,

R

And boy that Nordy pre sounds good.

The fact that this bass hasn't sold yet blows me away. I own and love a Lakland, I've played Sadowskys and Lulls and this bass is definitely nicer than any of those basses that I've played. Which honestly chaps me a bit to say because I believed my Lakland could not be topped. :shock:

I recently played a beautifully made jazz bass from Mike Lull at BassNW and while it was an incredibly nice bass, while I was playing it I just kept thinking it didn't stack up to this Axiom.
Yes, Rod is a buddy and he's a mod here and there's lots of reason to take what I say with a grain of skepticism if you want to, but the proof is in this bass.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2009, 11:48 am 

Rodent wrote:

all the best,

R

PM'd

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps