LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:07 am

Post subject: Malibu 24-fret double-cut
PostPosted: April 7th, 2012, 8:30 pm 

One of the great things of my NAMM experience this year was the incredible overload of instant feedback on my bass offerings. Mixed in with all the great compliments was a recurring comment that my fancy wood model should be a little more modern to include a 24-fret neck

Given some time to think over how I wanted to address this, I began designing (more like morphing, really) a new model taking everything that was great of my M-Series™ and building these features into the new 24-fret model. Countless hours of CAD, CNC, and woodworking later, I introduce to you the first proofing model of this new design

ImageImage

This new design will feature a choice of 1, 3, or 5-piece 24-fret 34" scale angled headstock bolt-on neck mounted to a multi-wood sandwich body made from any number of woods. There will be the choice of a 2 or 3-band preamp, several different pickup options, and a choice of body wings + tapered center block or a traditional laminated body. I'm still working the final details on exactly how the contoured heel will be shaped

Additional good news with this new design is that I will be offering it in 4, 5, and 6-string versions ... and yes, all of these will be available as lefty

I'll post updates on this in the coming months when the first couple of 5/6 string units are getting close to heading off to the paint shop

all the best,
R

Last edited by Rodent on September 2nd, 2013, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
updated thread title

Post subject: Re: new prototype design - 24-fret double-cut
PostPosted: April 8th, 2012, 2:20 am 

I really like the look of that, with the extended cutaways! Doesn't harm your original design at all. On the contrary, I might even add. Looks great! :)

PostPosted: June 15th, 2012, 7:52 pm 

update since my last post: the 6-string double-cut version has a mostly completed neck, and the proofing body is getting last minute tweaks to the CNC code to incorporate a little finessing of the lower cutaway that came from repeated fondling the 5-string prototype unit

I have also completed the 34" scale 6-string single-cut design morph and incorporated the above finessing. I still need to generate the CNC cutting code for both the neck and body so I can cut the first CNC produced prototype unit. I'll say that the design mods to this single-cut version will be a significant improvement over earlier prototype work and extend the unimpeded fret access to a full 24-fret design. I also think the angled headstock design is an improvement over my previous 4+2 design I rolled out in 2007, and that the new design curves flow much better with the body design contours. the single-cut design will continue to be a bolt-on model

I continue to receive quite a bit of correspondence inquiring about 6-string lefty basses, so don't be surprised to see a unit or two availble for general inventory sale before the end of the year.

all the best,

R

PostPosted: June 17th, 2012, 2:55 pm 

care to give some details of how the cnc has been streamling the process if at all? how has the the machine been treating you in general?

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 8:21 pm 

the CNC has been working out wonderfully, even better than I had hoped for! I've used it to streamline my parts cutting to reduce time and increase dimensional tolerances in critical interface areas.

the only shortcoming has been that I have a limited Z-depth, so a 1-3/4" long cutting tool is right on the cusp of what I can do with my current machine. not a problem for my preferred body thickness, but definitely a very tight call if I was cutting knock-off bodies and trying to compete with Warmoth (which I am definitely not)

the double-cut design is taking full advantage of morphing reusability to bring the 6-string version to market right along side it's 5-string sibling. a similar story is happening with the 6-string single-cut, where a good protion of the body design is morphed off of the 24-fret double-cut model. if all continues to go well, I should have a purple hd foam proofing body of the single-cut design exhumed before the week is out - I'm just a revised forearm arm contour surface and a few CNC tool paths away from having everything programmed for the first proofing body :)

the CNC has also been a great asset for making pickguard templates for my various models and pickup configurations. nothing like reusing much of the CAD body model curves and pickup locations to form the foundation for the pickguard design. and the template accuracy is spot on with no 'sanding errors' from one template to the next (those screw holes also align perfectly)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 9:18 pm 

discussion on the new single-cut model has been moved to a dedicated thread

this thread will continue on the double-cut design

all the best,

R

PostPosted: January 9th, 2013, 9:16 am 

design evolution has continued on the new 24-fret angled headstock model to incorporate ergonomic and accessability enhancements. I will have these 5-string and 6-string prototype units available for test driving at the upcoming NAMM Show

5-string in Race Red

6-string in Pace Car White

there will also be a 4-string version if/when I get a request for it. all three configurations are ready to roll lefty as well, and since there are no special parts pricing for the lefty units will be identical to its righty cousin

both of these images above are prototype units reflecting the dsign state at my last "must have bodies for NAMM done by today if they are to get painted" cut-off date. since then, the lower horn has continued to be refined and will most likely hit production as the yellow outline in this image (black outline is the horn shape as on the painted bodies above)

with this last tweak, the upper and lower horns have a similar design flow that compliments the overall body shape. this last tweak also allows you to play the 24th fret without your hand touching the body

as always, your candid feedback is welcome 8-)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 2:15 am 

Is it a visual allusion or does the bridge doesn't look square to the body?

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 6:22 am 

I have a friend that stopped by your booth last year, tall African American named Bob Hernandez from Oahu, Hawaii. I believe he's gong again this year, so I'll have him stop in to your booth again, and try out your new models. What's your booth number so I can pass it on?

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 7:51 am 

Thanks for the feedback guys

leftieray wrote:
Is it a visual allusion or does the bridge doesn't look square to the body?

It's a combination of lens and camera angle the take the image together with the bridge just loosely sitting on the body for this shoot.

fivebass52 wrote:
I have a friend that stopped by your booth last year, tall African American named Bob Hernandez from Oahu, Hawaii. I believe he's gong again this year, so I'll have him stop in to your booth again, and try out your new models. What's your booth number so I can pass it on?

We're in Hall E Booth 1306, right by the main downstairs entrance, and same location as last year. Even if the booth is crowded, let him know he's welcome to say hi, take grab a bass or guitar, and take a test drive. We have a 4th person joining the RGW booth team, so I should have a bit more time for chatting this year.

All the best,

R

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 9:00 am 

I was just thinking to myself "Where's Rod?" and figured you were very busy with NAMM prep. Good to "see" you aroud nontheless.
The new models look great but I think the lower horn profile will be better.
Wish you all the best at the show.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2013, 5:15 am 

fivebass52 wrote:

We're in Hall E Booth 1306, right by the main downstairs entrance, and same location as last year. Even if the booth is crowded, let him know he's welcome to say hi, take grab a bass or guitar, and take a test drive. We have a 4th person joining the RGW booth team, so I should have a bit more time for chatting this year.

All the best,

R[/quote]

Thanks Rod, I'll pass the info on to Bob....

PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 3:26 pm 

Looking forward to some photos of these complete.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 4:14 pm 

the completed prototypes were well received at NAMM (one didn't make the return trip. and now lives in Albequerque, NM) and we received overwhelming great feedback on sound, playability, build quality, set-up, and value. We also received feedback from about 50% of the people who played one that the lower horn needed to be extended a bit to suit those who spend time sitting while playing.

here's images of the two prototypes as they were seen and played at NAMM

Since returning from NAMM I have redesigned the lower horn and will be cutting a new prototype 5-string body in the next couple of days. images of the updated body design once it's been sanded an attached to a new neck. Once the lower horn passes a live and studio session test, we'll officially introduce this model into production

all the best,

R

PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 10:22 pm 

Glad to hear you had a great showing at NAMM... you can't beat the amount of feedback you get from a show like that - it's like condensing months of gigs and player input into four days! I like the looks of the body, but think the new extension to the lower horn will make the body look a tad more balanced... and obviously make it more balanced on the leg... your knowledge and building experience in the last year-or-so has grown by leaps and bounds! Well done!

PostPosted: April 14th, 2013, 7:57 pm 

first production unit shipped out to the Southeast US, and will be seen across Europe this May/June at multiple tour venues

all the best,

R

PostPosted: April 16th, 2013, 6:43 am 

Looks great Rod, especially with the extended lower horn. It gives the bass a more balanced look. The color is very nice as well!

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2013, 10:25 pm 

I did a little more tweaking on the lower horn, and finally have the design where I like it.

here's a fretless 6 that's working it's way thru production in prep for NAMM and then into the hands of the player who commissioned it. this body was cut from a 1-piece spalted Western Maple body that I've had hidden in my stash since April 2006

the neck is a 3-piece Maple with Pau Ferro fingerboard. this will be loaded with a pair of Fat Stacks and a 3-band Nordy pre with a 200/400/1000 Hz toggle for the mid freq

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: Malibu 24-fret double-cut
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2013, 5:11 pm 

That's a nice shape Rod- it looks balanced... look forward to seeing pictures of the completed bass!

Post subject: Re: Malibu 24-fret double-cut
PostPosted: March 25th, 2014, 7:57 am 

a couple images of the Malibu's that joined us at NAMM 2014

R

Attachments:
File comment: 1-piece figured Maple body, 3-piece Maple neck with Pau Ferro fingerboard, Nordstrand 3-band pre
Mal6a.png
Mal6a.png [ 625.95 KiB | Viewed 28213 times ]
File comment: Solar Blue metallic finish
Mal6.png
Mal6.png [ 379.57 KiB | Viewed 28213 times ]
File comment: 5-piece Camphor burl sandwich body, 5-piece Maple/Walnut neck with Rosewood fretboard, passive Vol + Blend + Tone controls
Mal5.png
Mal5.png [ 415.38 KiB | Viewed 28213 times ]