LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:30 am

Post subject: on the bench the week of 19-24 Dec (NAMM content)
PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 4:41 pm 

here's a peek at what's in final assembly this week in prep for NAMM a little under a month away :shock:

having received outstanding feedback during it's first NAMM debut in Jan 2011, my M-Series™ model that began production in early 2009 will be back again for the 2012 show. units for this year include this Amboyna burl on Swamp Ash 5-string. that's my highest grade flame Maple on the neck shaft with a midnight black unstained Gaboon Ebony fretboard

this one should be ready to rumble in the next day or two

I have additional units to get ready (including a lefty 4-string), and I'll post a couple of those here as they work their way thru final assembly this week

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: on the bench the week of 19-24 Dec (NAMM content)
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 2:05 am 

Looking good Rod!

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 8:06 am 

Yes, it does look quite fine!

I don't think Rod is going to get much sleep between now and the end of January ;)

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 12:49 pm 

here's another M-Series™ 5-string unit that's getting wrapped-up this morning, featuring a high grade Koa top on Mahogany body together with a Birdseye / Pau Ferro neck. this unit also is loaded with a Nordy 2-band preamp as well as my new custom pickups

back to the assembly bench ...

p.s. three more righty basses to go and then it's all lefty basses. I find it much easier to work all righty or lefty basses together vs. mixing back/forth between the two, as it saves me the bench set-up time of where I place all of the various tools and parts

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 12:52 pm 

AzWhoFan wrote:
I don't think Rod is going to get much sleep between now and the end of January ;)

actually I need everything done by end of Dec so the basses can be packed/shipped ... I'm starting to think that working the NAMM booth will be a cake walk compared to the concentration level needed to keep from accidentally scratching (or worse!) one of these babies

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 1:21 pm 

The grain on that bass is beautiful :shock:

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 1:50 pm 

Rodent wrote:
AzWhoFan wrote:

actually I need everything done by end of Dec so the basses can be packed/shipped ... I'm starting to think that working the NAMM booth will be a cake walk compared to the concentration level needed to keep from accidentally scratching (or worse!) one of these babies

all the best,

R

You know, you're probly right on about that ;)

And here I was thinking you were going to make a mad dash down the left coast with a trailer full of basses in tow a few days before the trade show!

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 2:53 pm 

Rodent wrote:
p.s. three more righty basses to go and then it's all lefty basses. I find it much easier to work all righty or lefty basses together vs. mixing back/forth between the two, as it saves me the bench set-up time of where I place all of the various tools and parts

all the best,

R

Makes sense to keep your brain in either a righty, or lefty frame of mind. less mistakes, if any, that way!

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 3:20 pm 

time for something new ... here's first look at a new model I'll be introducing at NAMM. it incorporates all of the best ergonomic features of a couple of my models, but strips out all of the fancy woods and active electronics leaving a very player friendly bass that's as price friendly as can be done for a US built custom bass.

this clear finish grade Alder body with a Honeyburst finish is about as fancy a unit as you'll see in this model outside of the occasional Swamp Ash build. one way of cutting some of the cost is to keep this model to mostly a opaque painted body offering, and that allows me to utilize a perfectly sound piece of lumber that has cosmetic inconsistencies that would be distracting if used on a clear/transparent finish. I can also utilize a few other wood species that have all the great attributes of Alder and Swamp Ash, but lack the visual quality needed for a clear/transparent finish

I'm hoping I can keep my flame Maple and Birdseye pricing in check so that future units can be built at the same price target as the units I have heading to NAMM. if I'm forced to, I'll simply make these two neck woods available as a minimal cost upgrade. Maple, Rosewood, and Pau Ferro will be the standard choices for fretboards

this model will feature a 2-piece pickguard, except for those units loaded with a single MM style pickup which will only have a 1-piece pickguard. I need to CNC my pickguard templates so I can hand-cut the pickguards, so for now this is what I can show off

back out to the shop ...

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 6:49 pm 

this one is a 4-string dual pickup version of the model noted in my previous post, and follows thru with my utilization of an Alder body blank set that was perfect in every aspect except for some significant (and very distracting) staining. because of this, it wasn't suitable for use with a clear/transparent color ... but it works wonderfully for a opaque painted body 8-)

this neck is a great example of the darker range for Pau Ferro, and it goes well with the vintage tinted Birdseye neck. believe it or not, that's actually Seafoam Green - the lighting in my shop is poor enough that my camera flash totally washes it out when taking images in the evening :( color correct images to come when this one is complete with its 2-piece pickguard

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2011, 8:58 pm 

last righty is now ready for electronics ...

this one has an Alder body with flame Maple/Rosewood neck, 1.625" nut, and will be loaded with a custom split P-style pickup. it also get the 2-piece pickguard treatment

tomorrow is lefty day on the assembly bench :-)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 12:06 pm 

first lefty content of the day! :D

Alder body with Vintage Blonde finish, Birdseye / Rosewood neck with vintage tint satin finish. this will have a custom split-P style pickup and 2-piece pickguard

this one would have been Seafoam Green with matching headstock, but those birds were too nice to cover over

more to come today ...

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 1:25 pm 

Rod do you have a name for these beauties yet? What price are you look at, also the vintage blond looks very white in the photos and that's not a bad thing, looks great.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 3:26 pm 

it's time for another 'fresh off the bench' photo op :)

Alder body with Honeyburst finish, flame Maple/Rosewood neck with vintage tint satin. this one will have a vintage voiced split-P style pickup with traditional type exposed pole pieces, and as is the decor for this model it will also have a 2-piece pickguard

there are a couple subtle 'upgrades' on this unit - neck mounting ferrules and heel adjust trussrod

if you notice the lower cutaway you'll see there's clear 'no contact' access up to the 21st fret - definitely not your grandpa's Pea, eh?

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 3:34 pm 

leftieray wrote:
Rod do you have a name for these beauties yet? What price are you look at, also the vintage blond looks very white in the photos and that's not a bad thing, looks great.

the name for this model has been set since way back in June. I'll officially post it the first week of Jan

going thru the final assembly steps this week and next are allowing me to formalize my pricing on this. drop me a PM or email if you want a pre-NAMM quote ... I may have quite a different pricing structure post NAMM show if a couple of the dealer discussions formalize into a distributor type relationship. depending on the specifics, that could have a significant impact on what I can sell for direct

it's definitely more white than the typical vintage white (aka banana pudding), and the rear side image is pretty close to dead on on my laptop monitor

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 10:40 am 

I got this one almost ready to roll ... still need to do a little bit of wiring, cut the nut, and find the right bridge to install (ABM's were out of stock, and the Schaller I ordered from AllParts came in as backordered when my order was delivered :( I'm using a Hipshot in the interim) ... but you get the big picture idea from these images

this features a Nordy MM4.2 pickup that is a clone of the original, and also a Nordy MM replica 2-band preamp (Nordstrand hadn't released that they were offering a MM replica preamp when I first posted about this build several months back)

the control plate is brushed stainless steel, and an option will be to use a polished stainless plate instead (depending on the body color and customer preference) ... I actually came up with the brushed plate idea while getting a couple of plates ready to be polished. this configuration will not have a pickguard

and the weight you ask? it's perfectly balanced and spot on the mark at 8.5 pounds 8-)

all the best,

R

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 1:20 pm 

Temping ... very temping .... :shock:

Rodent wrote:
it's time for another 'fresh off the bench' photo op :)

Alder body with Honeyburst finish, flame Maple/Rosewood neck with vintage tint satin. this one will have a vintage voiced split-P style pickup with traditional type exposed pole pieces, and as is the decor for this model it will also have a 2-piece pickguard

there are a couple subtle 'upgrades' on this unit - neck mounting ferrules and heel adjust trussrod

if you notice the lower cutaway you'll see there's clear 'no contact' access up to the 21st fret - definitely not your grandpa's Pea, eh?

all the best,

R