LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:07 am

Post subject: franken-bass...???
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 3:41 am 

Hi guys!Newbie here.I didn't exactly know where to start this discussion so i did it here.

So..i was wondering.Has anyone here ever altered a righthanded bass?Is it possible..?My problem is that i live in Greece and there is no variety in instruments here.I tried a few other music stores such as thomann or musicstore and i did not find what i want.

So an idea came to my head.What if i find the bass i want(fender precision) as a righthanded instrument and then alter it?i thought of making a custom bass for me..it really is too expensive for me right now.

any ideas..??? :roll:

Post subject: Re: franken-bass...???
PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 8:43 am 

greekbassman wrote:
Hi guys!Newbie here.I didn't exactly know where to start this discussion so i did it here.

So..i was wondering.Has anyone here ever altered a righthanded bass?Is it possible..?My problem is that i live in Greece and there is no variety in instruments here.I tried a few other music stores such as thomann or musicstore and i did not find what i want.

So an idea came to my head.What if i find the bass i want(fender precision) as a righthanded instrument and then alter it?i thought of making a custom bass for me..it really is too expensive for me right now.

any ideas..??? :roll:

Yes it's relatively easy. The nut will have to likely be replaced and the bridge saddles reversed for intonation. Of course you'll have to move the strap button as well. Good luck.

www.twitter.com/ReallyMattRoss

Penguins is practically chickens.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2010, 8:47 pm 

Why not just order a lefty and ship it to your country? :?:

As for the flipping thing, it's relatively easy, though I personally don't like the look of upside down basses. (Just 'cause Hendrix made it look cool doesn't mean we all can). Note the a righty P will sound slightly different flipped too, since it will now have a reverse P PUP setup (i.e, The coils normally positioned under your E/A strings will now be under your D/G strings and closer to the neck). I actually like the sound of a reverse P setup better, since the sound across the 4 strings sounds more balanced to my ears. But if you wanted to do a flip and end up with relatively the same sound as when you started, you might want to look at a J instead.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2010, 7:55 am 

pjmuck wrote:
Note the a righty P will sound slightly different flipped too, since it will now have a reverse P PUP setup (i.e, The coils normally positioned under your E/A strings will now be under your D/G strings and closer to the neck). I actually like the sound of a reverse P setup better, since the sound across the 4 strings sounds more balanced to my ears.

+1

My own Frankenbass, which is the best sounding instrument I own, has the P-pickup mounted backwards like this even though the rest of the instrument is regular lefty.