LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:13 pm

Post subject: Introducing the Axiom™ 5-string
PostPosted: September 15th, 2009, 4:12 pm 

Several months back I introduced my Axiom™ 4-string in a gorgeous Honeyburst lefty. Today I'd like to introduce the formal expansion of the Axiom™ series by introducing its 5-string sibling which is available in both righty (shown) and lefty

ImageImage

Most all of the differences are specific to the 5-string neck specs:
- 1-7/8" nut width
- capable of 16.5mm all the way to a full 19mm bridge spacing
- 21-fret 4+1 neck
- 16"R fretboard standard (9"R thru 20"R or various compound radius combinations available)
- modern C-shaped neck contour that is .800" thick at the 1st fret

I am occasionally able to secure a quartersawn Maple neck shaft blank laarge enough for a 5-string - but it's a pricey option due to the raw material cost being significantly higher for quartersawn stock this wide

This one, with a Maple/Pau Ferro neck and Maple topped Alder body, should be completed, set-up, and making its first sonic contribution to the condo complex early this coming weekend 8-)

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: Introducing the Axiom™ 5-string
PostPosted: September 16th, 2009, 6:54 pm 

that thing is beautiful man if i was employed i would place an order for one, i gotta say looks like a blast to play, out of curiosity whats up with that pickup the way the poles are placed looks downright bizarre is that a single coil or humbucker?

PostPosted: September 16th, 2009, 10:14 pm 

that's a pickup orientation I'm experimenting with - it's a standard Big Single single-coil pickup set, but each coil is set at an angle within the pickup shell. the idea is to even out the pickup response like reversing the coils on a P-bass split-coil, but to do it more gradually.

all the best,

R

PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 7:55 am 

Rodent wrote:
that's a pickup orientation I'm experimenting with - it's a standard Big Single single-coil pickup set, but each coil is set at an angle within the pickup shell. the idea is to even out the pickup response like reversing the coils on a P-bass split-coil, but to do it more gradually.

all the best,

R

How does the sound compare with the standard set I have on the 4? Mine sounds pretty well balanced already! Is it a set you can buy off the shelf or did you have them make the pups for you?

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 8:16 am 

hi Andy,

The sound is still unknown just yet ... I'll be installing the threaded inserts into the neck on Fri evening, and then I'll be able to string it up and have my first listen.

I don't know if these are available off the shelf from Nordstrand as I custom ordered the set - but I don't see why somebody else couldn't ask them for the same thing that I did (without asking for the Regenerate specific pickup if you know what I mean ;) )

if these work out like I'm hoping, future pickups with this coil arrangement will probably not include exposed pole pieces - that way those who find the slanting pole pieces too odd for their visual liking will not have to struggle with the visual aspect and can instead simply enjoy the sound they hear

all the best,

R

PostPosted: September 17th, 2009, 10:54 am 

Rodent wrote:
hi Andy,

The sound is still unknown just yet ... I'll be installing the threaded inserts into the neck on Fri evening, and then I'll be able to string it up and have my first listen.

I don't know if these are available off the shelf from Nordstrand as I custom ordered the set - but I don't see why somebody else couldn't ask them for the same thing that I did (without asking for the Regenerate specific pickup if you know what I mean ;) )

if these work out like I'm hoping, future pickups with this coil arrangement will probably not include exposed pole pieces - that way those who find the slanting pole pieces too odd for their visual liking will not have to struggle with the visual aspect and can instead simply enjoy the sound they hear

all the best,

R

Can't wait for the report on the sound. I'll be posting the sound clips for the 4 that I promised Andrew I'd do at some point in the not too distant future, once my various time commitments have settled down a little.

http://www.myspace.com/consortiumsessionplayers

1977 Jazz 4
'98 Thumb BO 5
'05 SEI Original Headless 5
'09 Regenerate Axiom 4
'90's Roscoe LG3000 fretless

PJB Amps

Post subject: Completed!
PostPosted: September 19th, 2009, 5:23 pm 

Project #2 for the day also just wrapped up

I opted to use an Ebony nut on this one since the nut really is just a glorified string spacing rule. I really like the look of the Macassar Ebony against the Pau Ferro fretboard. I'll snap a close-up and post it in the coming days

finished weight: just shy of 9.5 pounds

this one heads off to the studio tomorrow afternoon for some session work - hopefully I'll be able to borrow a couple clips from the preliminary mix. I'll report more on how the pickup configuration worked out at that time

all the best,

R

PostPosted: October 9th, 2009, 10:18 pm 

Hi Rodent, you've been quiet over on this side.... what was the end result of this build, and what were your impressions of the sound? Did you get a chance to record some clips?

Just checkin' in...........

PostPosted: October 10th, 2009, 10:21 am 

sorry about that. my day-job has kept me more than busy the past couple of weeks

result of the studio and live sessions were all outstanding, and both the pickup design and overall bass build were received with some very nice praise from the session player who took the bass out. he noted that the guitarist from the live session came over to comment on the killer tone the bass had, and how it filled out the bottom without stepping on anybody. even the drummer noted that the Sadowsky NYC that was the guy's other bass could remain in the stand for the night as far as he was concerned.

I'll soon build a second bass with the same pickup/preamp configuration to allow me to capture the sonic range of the design - this one will utilize a Swamp Ash body core and Birdseye/Birdseye neck instead of the Alder core and Maple/Pau Ferro neck of the bass pictured above.

the project this bass was used on is currently in mixdown. I'm anticipating I'll have a couple clips available to upload and post links to here shortly

all the best,

R

PostPosted: October 10th, 2009, 4:42 pm 

Thanks Rodent, will be looking forward to the clips. glad to hear the bass met and/or exceeded your expectations, and got high praise from the musicians - good work.....as always! :D

PostPosted: October 10th, 2009, 4:48 pm 

Hey Rodent,
it would be really cool if you could get a naked solo track or two from that session as well as the associated mixdowns. i'm often surprised at what I think is a crappy take can end up sitting real well in the mix with adding a judicious amout of EQ and without resorting to doctoring via plug-ins.

Cheers,
Marc

PostPosted: February 27th, 2010, 12:47 pm 

Axiom 5-string just back from the paint shop.

Swamp Ash body with 5A Claro Walnut top
High grade Birdseye neck with Pau Ferro fretboard
Custom Nordstrand pickups + Nordy 2-band preamp
Hipshot Type A bridge and Ultralights
I just might bite the bullet and do gold hardware on this one

I'm eventually going to do one of these in a lefty when I have funds free to make the investment to build one for the 'Web Specials' inventory

all the best,

R