LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:47 am

Post subject: fretboard blocks!
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2009, 6:53 pm 

after what seems like forever, I'm now able to offer fretboard blocks-n-binding as an option for all new RGW basses. unfortunately, this is by no means an inexpensive option since my cost for B&B is greater than what it costs for a regular birdseye/birdseye neck :shock:

Here's a pair of images for a client build where the client wanted blocks of a constant width that did not increase as the neck widened. These are 1/16" thick real shell and not imitation plastic. I wish they would photograph as well as they look in person. And check out how crisp those corners are!!! :shock: you aren't going to find detailed work like this on any mass produced bass neck ... or even a Warmoth neck (I've done the A/B, and while the blocks on W necks are really good ... they're not as detailed in their fit work as the blocks seen here are)

Please note that these are installed on a rough fretboard that has not been finish sanded. It's still in need of a load of work before this collection of wood, graphite, glue, and steel becomes a playable bass neck.

And just in case you've ever wondered what a neck looks like when it's fresh off the CNC, here's a pair of images that should satisfy your curiosity. If you look closely you can still see the tool marks where the router head hem-stitched multiple passes to form the rough rear profile. there's still a lot of detailed hand-work to go from here - but now you can see that utilizing CNC in no way eliminates the need for craftsmanship in bringing the final neck to life

all the best,

R

Post subject: Re: fretboard blocks!
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2009, 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

This is great news Rod, I love the look of blocks and binding, especially black blocks on a maple board.

Post subject: Re: fretboard blocks!
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2009, 10:32 pm 

Nice work! The insight on the CNC is great... as you say, it still takes an expert to finish-shape a neck or body to breathe life into it. A CNC machine's asset is saving a builder countless hours of shaping, and allow him him (or you in this case) the ability to have a decent cost-to-hours ratio that allows you to turn a fair profit for your efforts. Anyone who thinks a CNC machine means assembly-line guitars has obviously not been involved in a start-to-finish project of any kind to understand what it takes to put something together. As a carpenter who has built cabinets from scratch, it's nice to have the option of a company that has an assembly line to make cabinets at a reasonable price. In the end, it saves the client, or buyer, money on the fabrication end, and also moves the finish or delivery date up. Bottom line is human hands and expertise is still involved to satisfy the client, and make them happy to show off their new guitar, kitchen, house etc.

I look forward to your posts and tips that you share.... thanks!

Aloha,
Ian