LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:47 am

Post subject: Two bass jam
PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 5:08 am 

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a Mesa D800. This video makes that challenging. Sorry, no lefty content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjfJHTElo_E

Post subject: Re: Two bass jam
PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 11:05 am 

tim wrote:
I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a Mesa D800. This video makes that challenging. Sorry, no lefty content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjfJHTElo_E

The D800 is a great little amp. Lots of headroom for a class D.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 11:24 am 

I had my choice between the Subway D800 and a Tone Hammer 500. I chose the Tone Hammer.

Anyway, if you are interested in a D800, nematicba has one he might be willing to sell.

I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 12:08 pm 

The TH is definitely in the running. If it were an easy choice, it would have already been made! :)

PostPosted: May 10th, 2016, 4:20 pm 

I currently own the D800 and sold the TH500 when I got it. Here's my lowly opinion....

I had the TH500 for several years. It is an AMAZING amp. For the price, you'd be hard pressed to find a more articulate 500w amp. Very boutique-y, hifi and versatile for the cash. If all I was ever doing was small jazz gigs etc, I would probably never have gotten rid of it in order to get.....

The D800. As good as the Aguilar is, it lacks headroom in a serious way if you are playing at rock and roll stage volumes. I was using the TH as a back up for my tube amp. On the two occasions I had to use it in that setting, it was not really up to the task. It gets pretty ugly when pushed hard. The D800 on the other hand, can compete with my 300w tube amp as far as stage volume goes and - to my humble ears - it has a warmer sound. It may not be as hifi sounding as the TH but it's still VERY versatile and has lots tonal variety. I also have a few different 4ohm cabs around the house and this amp can run at 2ohms so I can use two of them. Couldn't do that with the TH.

Anyway. That's my 2 cents.

http://whitecowbell.com
http://www.facebook.com/southpawl.jones
http://goo.gl/rMTPk

PostPosted: May 11th, 2016, 7:16 am 

jayceofbass wrote:
I currently own the D800 and sold the TH500 when I got it. Here's my lowly opinion....

I had the TH500 for several years. It is an AMAZING amp. For the price, you'd be hard pressed to find a more articulate 500w amp. Very boutique-y, hifi and versatile for the cash. If all I was ever doing was small jazz gigs etc, I would probably never have gotten rid of it in order to get.....

The D800. As good as the Aguilar is, it lacks headroom in a serious way if you are playing at rock and roll stage volumes. I was using the TH as a back up for my tube amp. On the two occasions I had to use it in that setting, it was not really up to the task. It gets pretty ugly when pushed hard. The D800 on the other hand, can compete with my 300w tube amp as far as stage volume goes and - to my humble ears - it has a warmer sound. It may not be as hifi sounding as the TH but it's still VERY versatile and has lots tonal variety. I also have a few different 4ohm cabs around the house and this amp can run at 2ohms so I can use two of them. Couldn't do that with the TH.

Anyway. That's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input! I remember reading your impressions here when Mesa first released the D800, and it piqued my interest. It's been on my short list ever since.

I know that I need to just get my ass into some stores and try out gear. So far I've just been watching a lot of videos trying to get an idea of what kind of sound would work for me. When I heard Tony Hall's Spector barking and growling in this vid, though, I though "Oh my God I want to do that!"