The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:50 pm

Post subject: Local band last night
PostPosted: March 19th, 2016, 11:26 am 

Hardcore banjo ---- check.

Hardcore mandolin ---- check.

Hardcore accordion ---- check.

Hardcore penny whistle ---- check.

Bag pipes? Hardcore by nature; no need for qualifier.

Hardcore lefty bassist ---- check and check.

Could only be....

Attachment:
16 - 1.jpg
16 - 1.jpg [ 123.08 KiB | Viewed 11495 times ]

Attachment:
16 - 2.jpg
16 - 2.jpg [ 135 KiB | Viewed 11495 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20160318_210837.jpg
IMG_20160318_210837.jpg [ 91.65 KiB | Viewed 11495 times ]

But my favorite part, Governor Charlie Baker (R-Mass) getting introduced by the band (below left in the green shirt), and about an hour later singing ♫♫ Kiss meeeee! I'm sh!t faaaaaced!!! ♫♫

Attachment:
cb.jpg
cb.jpg [ 112.1 KiB | Viewed 11495 times ]

I caught Charlie singing along a lot--sometimes leaned further out of that window than seemed wise--and not just the choruses but the verses, too.

Last edited by tim on March 19th, 2016, 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Local show last night
PostPosted: March 19th, 2016, 11:34 am 

A couple better pictures of the ax. An alder/maple custom Fender, as lore has it. Actually, the whole band had nice instruments, which they played well. They did a cover of the Cars - Just What I Needed that was surprisingly true to the original (minus the vocals and tempo, of course) and even nailed the guitar solo.

Attachment:
a0a796ac-4ec1-4b53-a6d3-ddfa32154725th.JPG
a0a796ac-4ec1-4b53-a6d3-ddfa32154725th.JPG [ 26.85 KiB | Viewed 11494 times ]

Attachment:
Dropkick-Murphys_KenCasey.jpg
Dropkick-Murphys_KenCasey.jpg [ 98.28 KiB | Viewed 11494 times ]

PostPosted: March 19th, 2016, 11:45 am 

tim wrote:
A couple better pictures of the ax. An alder/maple custom Fender, as lore has it. Actually, the whole band had nice instruments, which they played well. They did a cover of the Cars - Just What I Needed that was surprisingly true to the original (minus the vocals and tempo, of course) and even nailed the guitar solo.

Attachment:
a0a796ac-4ec1-4b53-a6d3-ddfa32154725th.JPG

Attachment:
Dropkick-Murphys_KenCasey.jpg

Killer man! I lived in CT for 3 years and as my wife was still finishing her doctorate stuff at Northeastern, I spent many fun days and nights in Boston. St Patrick's day at Doyles in Jamaica Plain was killer. Caught a few good gigs in MA. Slapshot have always been high on my list of killer bands. Have not seen Dropkick Murphys live, but have always loved Pipebomb on Lansdowne. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Local band last night
PostPosted: March 19th, 2016, 5:05 pm 

If you wear your bass any lower, you'll have to graft-on finger extensions! :)

PostPosted: March 20th, 2016, 5:54 pm 

fivebass52 wrote:

Wait. Are you suggesting that punk has a fashion component and that it's not pure technical music-craft?

PostPosted: March 20th, 2016, 6:19 pm 

I had a chance to see the Mighty Mighty Bosstones right at my birthday with about 20 more awesome bands at the BCN River Raid but i haven't seen these guys yet, must be a fun show!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2016, 6:22 pm 

NoXX wrote:
Killer man! I lived in CT for 3 years and as my wife was still finishing her doctorate stuff at Northeastern, I spent many fun days and nights in Boston. St Patrick's day at Doyles in Jamaica Plain was killer. Caught a few good gigs in MA. Slapshot have always been high on my list of killer bands. Have not seen Dropkick Murphys live, but have always loved Pipebomb on Lansdowne. :mrgreen:

I'm from Hartford CT, wife is from Vernon, and her bro went to Northeastern. I even went to school in Worcester, but ironically didn't see the DMs until later in Oakland, CA when I lived there. They put on a great show anywhere, but I was still amazed coming back to see the hometown crowd they pulled. Sold out months in advance, obviously, but I mean the @#$%ing governor at a punk show? Singing along?? And nice to know that at 37, I am not yet too old to throw down in the pit.

Funny you mention Slapshot. I just got into them thanks to a woman I work with. Sweet little Greek artist with a voice like a butterfly wooing a flower. Said she was into hardcore and I was like no way. But we swapped a bunch of albums and I had to admit her tastes were proper. The Slapshot was my favorite of the bunch so I bought a couple albums.

Last edited by tim on March 20th, 2016, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2016, 6:29 pm 

paulo wrote:
I had a chance to see the Mighty Mighty Bosstones right at my birthday with about 20 more awesome bands at the BCN River Raid but i haven't seen these guys yet, must be a fun show!

The Bosstones are great and I've seen WAYYY more than my share of ska shows (my ringtone for my wife is "Without You" by the Pietasters), but the Dropkick Murphys, although not the heaviest of the heavies, are several orders of heavy heavier.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2016, 6:44 pm 

The 2 last concerts i wanted to go where Dick Dale at the Middle Eastern and the New Mastersounds also at the Middle Eastern but didn't made.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2016, 10:46 pm 

tim wrote:
fivebass52 wrote:

Wait. Are you suggesting that punk has a fashion component and that it's not pure technical music-craft?

Well.... when was the last time you saw a punk-bassist wearing his bass up-high in his chest a-la a jazz bassist? Methinks he'd be laughed off the stage! :lol:

PostPosted: March 21st, 2016, 7:01 am 

fivebass52 wrote:
Well.... when was the last time you saw a punk-bassist wearing his bass up-high in his chest a-la a jazz bassist? Methinks he'd be laughed off the stage! :lol:

Can't think of a single one. Must be one of those unwritten rules. :D

paulo wrote:
2 last concerts i wanted to go where Dick Dale at the Middle Eastern and the New Mastersounds also at the Middle Eastern but didn't made.

I can't believe Dick Dale is still snapping strings at 78. I just looked him up. J**** C***** that guy is a bad ass:
http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/ ... id=1843341

PostPosted: March 21st, 2016, 9:13 am 

tim wrote:
NoXX wrote:

I'm from Hartford CT, wife is from Vernon, and her bro went to Northeastern. I even went to school in Worcester, but ironically didn't see the DMs until later in Oakland, CA when I lived there. They put on a great show anywhere, but I was still amazed coming back to see the hometown crowd they pulled. Sold out months in advance, obviously, but I mean the @#$%ing governor at a punk show? Singing along?? And nice to know that at 37, I am not yet too old to throw down in the pit.

Funny you mention Slapshot. I just got into them thanks to a woman I work with. Sweet little Greek artist with a voice like a butterfly wooing a flower. Said she was into hardcore and I was like no way. But we swapped a bunch of albums and I had to admit her tastes were proper. The Slapshot was my favorite of the bunch so I bought a couple albums.

Very cool!

PostPosted: March 21st, 2016, 6:00 pm 

[/quote]

I can't believe Dick Dale is still snapping strings at 78. I just looked him up. J**** C***** that guy is a bad ass:
http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh/ ... id=1843341[/quote]

Just read this story... and it's very inspiring! You go Dick! Someone should make a GoFundMe page for him.....