LeftyBassist.com

The online home for southpaw bassists.
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:51 am

Post subject: David Bowie tribute song/video
PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 4:06 pm 

I thought some of you might be interested in my latest project...

The day after the world learned Bowie died, my songwriting partner, Mark, started sending me lines of poetry about Bowie's unexpected passing. After reading a handful, they were so great, I encouraged him to publish them. But then I realized they would be great lyrics for a Bowie tribute song. I was initially intimidated at the thought of writing music to honor a man who was so successful in a variety of rock genres, but Mark encouraged the project and the song "Blackstar Monday" was born. (David Bowie's final album, released just two days before he died, was called "Blackstar" and his passing made news around the world on a Monday.)

My intent when I wrote the music was to pay tribute to some of the styles Bowie explored throughout his career, so the song jumps from Ziggy-era piano ballad to glam rock to funk to Low-era electronica. And coupled with Mark's lyrics, I hope we've accomplished the goal of paying tribute to a magical soul. Finally, we decided to set the song to video since Bowie's impact extended well beyond music into visual arts and fashion. The end result is a tribute to the music and visual legacy of David Bowie.

"Blackstar Monday" a David Bowie tribute song/video; written, performed, produced by The Write Brothers Sonic Soul Consortium (Mark Hutchins and Richard Davidson)

Watch it on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/LPDxSkJsvpI

Writing, performing, and recording this song consumed my life for the last three weeks. We hope it does Bowie justice and gives you pause to reflect on the impact the man had on our culture.

Richard

Post subject: Re: David Bowie tribute song/video
PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 4:19 pm 

An ambitious project - well done!

Post subject: Re: David Bowie tribute song/video
PostPosted: February 5th, 2016, 5:38 pm 

I listened to Black Star on my morning commute, and again on my way home just now. I'm still absorbing the signifigance. I gather that everyone in that studio knew they were recording an epitaph, yet not a peep leaked out. Powerful stuff.

Yours sounds like a cool project. Will check it out over the weekend.